Thread: Next OC event: Blood Drive!

Accomplished Advocate

Next OC event: Blood Drive!

Hey guys, our next OC event is going to be a blood drive. I haven't coordinated everything as of yet, just didn't want you all to think that MOCA was sitting idly. Basically we'll work the tables, make sure that everyone has what they need ie snacks and drinks. We will also be timing them after they give blood to make sure that they are clear to leave! Suggestions/opinions? This should being a LOT of attention to our organization and we will setup an informational booth to promote our message. But don't forget the real reason we're there, to help save lives by getting much needed blood into hospitals! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by shanebelanger View Post
    Hey guys, our next OC event is going to be a blood drive. I haven't coordinated everything as of yet, just didn't want you all to think that MOCA was sitting idly. Basically we'll work the tables, make sure that everyone has what they need ie snacks and drinks. We will also be timing them after they give blood to make sure that they are clear to leave! Suggestions/opinions? This should being a LOT of attention to our organization and we will setup an informational booth to promote our message. But don't forget the real reason we're there, to help save lives by getting much needed blood into hospitals! :-)
    Logistics: Venue, med techs for blood draw, med supplies, controlled environment, lab equipment, high-sugar snacks / drinks, support staff for admin function and donor monitoring, tables, chairs, etc.

Excellent idea. If anyone who reads the forum can address anything on this list then we're well on our way.

I suggest we contact American Red Cross to provide techs and equipment. They'll make the effort if we can provide the support functions like location.
    v/r
    Forrest Brown
    Webmaster, Maine Open Carry Association
    forrest@maineopencarry.org

I'd like to suggest we have the next event at one of the Red Crosses 3 donation centers. These are fixed locations in Bangor,Lewiston, and Portland. We don't want to have a ton of equipment come to a location if we can only generate 2 or 3 dozen people.
    We have to think numbers on this one . A few people in our group can't donate according to the Red Crosses standards . If we pull this together before September 13th I can't donate because I last gave on 7/15 .
    If seeing someone openly carrying a gun makes you nervous there is a good chance it is because it forces you to realize that you have chosen to be helpless.

I've been coming to these events and bringing between 2/4 with me. Had intentions for more next time. This is going to be big yawn for people in my circles. I'm probably not going to it myself. No way is this to insinuate, I'm trying to control the engender. I'm just being truthful how I feel. I wish you all the luck in the world with it. Who knows may bring in different crowd.
    Last edited by jonjon_jon; 08-10-2010 at 10:45 AM.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jonjon_jon View Post
    I've been coming to these events and bringing between 2/4 with me. Had intentions for more next time. This is going to be big yawn for people in my circles. I'm probably not going to it myself. No way is this to insinuate, I'm trying to control the engender. I'm just being truthful how I feel. I wish you all the luck in the world with it. Who knows may bring in different crowd.
    That is what OC should be - a big yawn, people going about their normal daily lives...........responsibly.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

I think it's a great idea. While holding it at one of the Red Cross locations does make some sense, the big challenge then is to publicize it as much as possible. Holding the event at a location with a lot of foot traffic (Freeport, Bar Harbor, Portland somewhere, etc) would give you more exposure, though. In Houston the blood bank will send a mobile unit (converted old school bus) if you make the necessary arrangements; I take it no such facility exists in Maine?

Quote Originally Posted by rhenriksen View Post
    I think it's a great idea. While holding it at one of the Red Cross locations does make some sense, the big challenge then is to publicize it as much as possible. Holding the event at a location with a lot of foot traffic (Freeport, Bar Harbor, Portland somewhere, etc) would give you more exposure, though. In Houston the blood bank will send a mobile unit (converted old school bus) if you make the necessary arrangements; I take it no such facility exists in Maine?
    I'm not aware of any such facility, unfortunately. I think using the Portland location would work well on its own. I can put up flyers at USM and around town.

Guess it's time to spring for that banner we've been discussing.
    v/r
    Forrest Brown

I've helped with the Harley Owners Group blood drive in Lewiston and I'd love to be involved with this. How can I help?

hey guys. you can count me in. let me know what i can do. talk to ya soon.

Accomplished Advocate
    Lets remember I go to the University of Southern Maine... I'm sure that I can play this up at campus... but we'll have to wait until I get down to school and talk with the events coordinator!

Lets remember I go to the University of Southern Maine... I'm sure that I can play this up at campus... but we'll have to wait until I get down to school and talk with the events coordinator!
    I'll be on campus tomorrow. I'll ask.
    v/r
    Forrest Brown

pretty quite fellas.

Student activities office was closed for the summer. Figures.
    v/r
    Forrest Brown

Accomplished Advocate
    Remember that this is going to take a LOT of set-up so just be patient haha, I'm going to make sure that this is a massive event... I also need to be at school so that's three weeks away. If people would like to setup a meet and greet or a shoot or something that's great! Not every OC event needs MOCA to set it up. You can always have a get together and go shooting or what not. Just be extremely careful and remember that it's not a MOCA sanctioned event. If you would like my help in anything just call me, you all have my number! I feel like people are afraid to call me and I'm not sure why? Am I busy? Yes, am I too busy? NEVER. Also, remember that no matter how large MOCA grows the views/opinions/motivation and what makes us a group/organization will never change or falter.

blood drive

i know school has just started, not trying to to be a jerk, but any info about the blood drive? im really interested to get involved. let me know.

xd-over
    Last edited by crdonov; 09-03-2010 at 05:49 AM.

Accomplished Advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by crdonov View Post
    i know school has just started, not trying to to be a jerk, but any info about the blood drive? im really interested to get involved. let me know.

xd-oever
    currently in talks with them, but they just had a huge one at USM so it might be a while before they do another.

Can I Help?

Hey I Know this thread is a little old, but I think its a great idea. I have taken and passed a EMT-B class (Just not licensed by the state) so i can take blood pressures, monitor circulation in the body, check lung sounds, and do basic med care for people. I just pictured people on tables, donating blood, and a guy walking around with a tray of juice and cookies, with a weapon on his hip, sounds like a great way to showcase the group.

Accomplished Advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by WantsToCarry View Post
    Hey I Know this thread is a little old, but I think its a great idea. I have taken and passed a EMT-B class (Just not licensed by the state) so i can take blood pressures, monitor circulation in the body, check lung sounds, and do basic med care for people. I just pictured people on tables, donating blood, and a guy walking around with a tray of juice and cookies, with a weapon on his hip, sounds like a great way to showcase the group.
    it would be... perhaps you can get the red cross to be more up on our idea? I talked to them but they weren't too excited to do it... but hey, maybe you know someone?

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    In some localities the Red Cross has been less than cooperative and even openly hostile.

That is a shame because we both want to do similar things: help our community, be good citizens, protect lives and further the benefits of freedom.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

it would be... perhaps you can get the red cross to be more up on our idea? I talked to them but they weren't too excited to do it... but hey, maybe you know someone?
    Alright, I'll see what I can do about getting ahold of someone.

Augusta Maine Capital of State of Maine.

I still think a event in City of Augusta is important. Nothing says your here more then a event around the Capital. Three City owned parks downtown Augusta. Maybe we could get New Governer to speak on gun rights if asked? A Hospital 1/2 mile away from park. They may help you with blood drive if asked.

Quote Originally Posted by jonjon_jon View Post
    I still think a event in City of Augusta is important. Nothing says your here more then a event around the Capital. Three City owned parks downtown Augusta. Maybe we could get New Governer to speak on gun rights if asked? A Hospital 1/2 mile away from park. They may help you with blood drive if asked.
    some thing to look into...

xd over