Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loaded gun in your private vehicle? is it lawfull?

Loaded gun in your private vehicle? is it lawfull?

straight foreward is it lawfull to carry your gun loaded in your car?

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    yes, as long as you know and comply with the laws/exemptions for open and concealed carry.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Since you did not add your location to your profile and you are posting in the Virginia forum, the above response is correct for Virginia.

Other states vary.

Quote Originally Posted by Glock27Bill View Post
    Since you did not add your location to your profile and you are posting in the Virginia forum, the above response is correct for Virginia.

Other states vary.
    I am moving to dahlgren next month and when and why would I not be able to carry it in my car

Founder's Club Member
    "when and why would I not be able to carry it in my car "

If you are not in compliance with applicable Virginia law your carriage of a firearm in your car would be unlawful. Further, laws regarding the carriage of a firearm within a vehicle are not uniform amongst the states and for some states, the laws may change city by city and county by county. Laws regarding the carriage of handguns within vehicles are uniform across Virginia with no enforceable variation county by county or city by city.

§ 15.2-915. Control of firearms; applicability to authorities and local governmental agencies.

A. No locality shall adopt or enforce any ordinance, resolution or motion, as permitted by § 15.2-1425, and no agent of such locality shall take any administrative action, governing the purchase, possession, transfer, ownership, carrying, storage or transporting of firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof other than those expressly authorized by statute. For purposes of this section, a statute that does not refer to firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof, shall not be construed to provide express authorization.

Nothing in this section shall prohibit a locality from adopting workplace rules relating to terms and conditions of employment of the workforce. Nothing in this section shall prohibit a law-enforcement officer, as defined in § 9.1-101 from acting within the scope of his duties.

The provisions of this section applicable to a locality shall also apply to any authority or to a local governmental entity, including a department or agency, but not including any local or regional jail or juvenile detention facility.

B. Any local ordinance, resolution or motion adopted prior to the effective date of this act governing the purchase, possession, transfer, ownership, carrying or transporting of firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof, other than those expressly authorized by statute, is invalid.

C. In addition to any other relief provided, the court may award reasonable attorney fees, expenses, and court costs to any person, group, or entity that prevails in an action challenging (i) an ordinance, resolution, or motion as being in conflict with this section or (ii) an administrative action taken in bad faith as being in conflict with this section.

(1987, c. 629, § 15.1-29.15; 1988, c. 392; 1997, cc. 550, 587; 2002, c. 484; 2003, c. 943; 2004, cc. 837, 923; 2009, cc. 735, 772.)
    Last edited by jmelvin; 08-10-2010 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Provided Virginia Legislative Code Citation

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    The only problem you may have is on the base. If you have to go on base, you need to check on the rules they have.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by tronson View Post
    straight foreward
    what does THAT mean?

Quote Originally Posted by ed View Post
    what does THAT mean?
    I couldn't decide if he read too many books, or too few.
    Last edited by t33j; 08-10-2010 at 10:50 PM.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

lol

Quote Originally Posted by t33j View Post
    I couldn't decide if he read too many books, or too few.
    nice one.
    illegal ≠ immoral legal ≠ moral
    [SIZE=1]"I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself. "Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent." - Thomas Jefferson
    G19 Gen 4; Bersa Thunder 380; Sig Sauer P238; Kel-Tec su-16c

you don't like my grammer then don't read my posts. this behavior is indicative of this forum. I slipped an e in there because I'm using my phone for this post. now what it MEANT was this was not going to be a question that required any convoluted opinionated answers. just STRAIGHT FORWARD simple question requiring only the simplest of answers yes or no. thank you for making this a grammatical discussion you spelling bee champs you.
    Last edited by tronson; 08-11-2010 at 11:28 AM.

Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
    you don't like my grammer then don't read my posts. this behavior is indicative of this forum. I slipped an e in there because I'm using my phone for this post. now what it MEANT was this was not going to be a question that required any convoluted opinionated answers. just STRAIGHT FORWARD simple question requiring only the simplest of answers yes or no. thank you for making this a grammatical discussion you spelling bee champs you.
    You might want to ease up a bit, take a breath and lower your sensitivity level. If you look back at the initial replies, you will see that your question was answered succinctly and accurately -- and THAT, sir, IS behavior indicative of this forum. The responders even went so far as to provide you with the research that you could have done yourself almost as quickly as it took you to ask the question on the forum.

To castigate this entire forum because of the OT responses of a couple of posters is unfair and unwarranted.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesCanby View Post
    You might want to ease up a bit, take a breath and lower your sensitivity level. If you look back at the initial replies, you will see that your question was answered succinctly and accurately -- and THAT, sir, IS behavior indicative of this forum. The responders even went so far as to provide you with the research that you could have done yourself almost as quickly as it took you to ask the question on the forum.

To castigate this entire forum because of the OT responses of a couple of posters is unfair and unwarranted.
    well that's just like...your opinion....man. -jeff lebowski
    Last edited by tronson; 08-11-2010 at 11:48 AM.

See, friend, the difficulty with your question is that there often is NO straight forward answer to firearms law questions--especially with regards to carry and transport.

The laws are notoriously convoluted, byzantine, and sometimes even self-contradictory.

Getting a "straightforward" answer from a State Attorney General or the local BATFE office is very often like trying to get a straight answer from a circus clown on acid and nitrous...

Specifics--we need specifics.

Do you travel near, on, or through School property with said handgun?

Are you over 18?

Have you every had a restraining order against you, or any other such thing?

Are you a US citizen?

Are you going to be traveling on, to, or through Federal installations or Military bases?

Do you go to the US Post Office often?

Do you travel to, in, or through MD or DC?

Do you plan to go to other states in your travels? Vehicular carry laws vary WILDLY from state to state...

Do you have a Concealed Carry Permit that is recognized in the state where you are currently living?

There are a LOT of variables here.

A "simple question" like "can I carry a loaded gun in a car" is actually a VERY complicated question, because there are so many variables, and so many weird state and federal laws that regulate what you can and cannot do.

We'll need a LOT more info before we can give you any meaningful answers.

Not being rude or glib, just trying to show you how complicated this issue can be.

Bear with us. We want to help you...
    Last edited by Dreamer; 08-11-2010 at 11:52 AM.
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    well that's just like...your opinion....man
    and mine.

And exactly why are you moving to MY state?

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    thank you for making this a grammatical discussion you spelling bee champs you.
    As a former spelling bee champion (4th grade), I'm offended that the honor of that distinction is being so flagrantly thrown around in this thread. Do you know how long I had to train for that spelling bee?

wait....on second thought, it may have been state capitals, not a spelling bee. Aw hell, its all the same.

Keep asking questions tronson, and we'll keep trying to help you.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Dude chill. We all make spelling errors.
    http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...q=define:+jest
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

I'm a bit curious of this question myself
    Last edited by rix937; 11-10-2010 at 06:24 PM.

rix937

you may OC or CC as you wish in your vehicle, given the above conditions.

Except for a few caviats - which I'm not telling you because your so sensitive.
    Last edited by simmonsjoe; 08-11-2010 at 07:50 PM.
    illegal ≠ immoral legal ≠ moral
    [SIZE=1]"I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself. "Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent." - Thomas Jefferson
    G19 Gen 4; Bersa Thunder 380; Sig Sauer P238; Kel-Tec su-16c

ok so my wife and I are military so we are getting stationed in dahlgren. I have never had a problem with the law ever. I won't be going to any schools I won't be leaving the state my concealed permit is from idaho and there's no reciprocity I have my out of state resident package cwp that was mailed to me from the state police so I will be getting that done when I arrive. I won't take my weapons on base. so in those circumstances is it lawfull to carry my weapon loaded in my car and in what manner? concealed on my hip ect. and are new residents not welcome in YOUR state? normally I make some good friends on here but not today I take it.

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    hmmm
    Last edited by tronson; 08-12-2010 at 02:12 AM.

and I'm not castigating the entire forum just people like the above quote comes from. I appreciate the real help and don't understand the hostility of a few of the posters here. I really am just looking for some good answers from level headed people like the majority of the posters here. there are just a few bad eggs every states forum I have been on. like my home state of Wisconsin and my previous state idaho.
    Last edited by tronson; 08-12-2010 at 02:03 AM.

and in answer to your question. because I hear virginia has great 2a rights. and it seems the navy requires that I do military and all.

and I'm not castigating the entire forum just people like the above quote comes from. I appreciate the real help and don't understand the hostility of a few of the posters here. I really am just looking for some good answers from level headed people like the majority of the posters here. there are just a few bad eggs every states forum I have been on. like my home state of Wisconsin and my previous state idaho.
    I'm not the one that came in this with an attitude!

Everyone tried to answer your question despite the stupid wording, until you decided to shoot your mouth off.
    I think you'd be happier in Wisconsin with Massa Doug!
    Last edited by peter nap; 08-12-2010 at 02:25 AM.

ok so my wife and I are military so we are getting stationed in dahlgren. I have never had a problem with the law ever. I won't be going to any schools I won't be leaving the state my concealed permit is from idaho and there's no reciprocity I have my out of state resident package cwp that was mailed to me from the state police so I will be getting that done when I arrive. I won't take my weapons on base. so in those circumstances is it lawfull to carry my weapon loaded in my car and in what manner? concealed on my hip ect. and are new residents not welcome in YOUR state? normally I make some good friends on here but not today I take it.
    Tronson First off welcome to the forum. Until you receive a CHP that is recognized in VA. open carry is an option. To begin with IANAL. Under the new law that went in effect July 1st 2010 you can carry in a secured compartment such as the glove compartment or console of your vehicle. The thing about the schools is the federal 1000 foot rule which to the best of my knowledge is only used as an add on charge but with them you never know. Open Carry is legal in VA and practiced by a number of people with no problems. Be careful around the Potomac River as it is in Maryland which is not GO Friendly.

In VA it is legal to carry in local government buildings with the exception of jails and court houses See http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_...nlawfultoCarry for a list of no carry zones. If at anytime you are asked to leave someplace such as a store or restaurant leave immediately or you can be charged with trespassing.

Also as I understand 18.2-308 paragraph D as a member of the military stationed in VA you can obtain a resident CHP
    D. Any person 21 years of age or older may apply in writing to the clerk of the circuit court of the county or city in which he resides, or if he is a member of the United States Armed Forces, the county or city in which he is domiciled, for a five-year permit to carry a concealed handgun. There shall be no requirement regarding the length of time an applicant has been a resident or domiciliary of the county or city.
    A good place for information is http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms.shtm and look into joining VCDL their web site is www.vcdl.org.

I have some family in Colonial Beach. Enjoy your stay in VA.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast