• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carried going to and from Pangutch UT. Asked firmly why are you carrying a gun?

28kfps

We rented a small cabin at the Bear Paw resort on Panguitch Lake. More like a mom and pop place than a resort. They have cabins and RV spots. Walked in to check in and the first thing the guy asked me was why I was carrying a gun. Without a smile on his face and appeared to be very serious. His seriousness caught me off guard and put me on the defense, I said firmly because it was my legal right and for self-defense. He said that I did not need the attitude he just wanted an answer he could tell his other customers as to why he was letting someone on his property with a gun. I told him I did not mean to have the attitude and told him the way he asked caught me off guard. It quickly turned into a friendly conversation as he checked my wife and I in. Turns out he is the owner and I said though I have a legal right to carry I do realize I am on private property and realize the owner sets the property rules. He thanked me for respecting that and preceded telling us the few basic rules and hours of their restaurant. I thanked him for allow me on his property with the firearm and open carried it most of the time. We were in and out of his little store and restaurant several times he and his staff could not have been friendlier. If you are thinking of fishing or just getting away might want to try Bear Paw. The lake and their docks are across the road from the resort.

On the way, stopped in Las Vegas open carried in Albertsons and while getting Gas. Stopped in Saint Gorge at the Cracker barrel going to and from for lunch and spent about 20 minutes in the store. We were giving a table that put my firearm in line with the main aisle of the entrance to the restaurant section. There was a separate table across from us where the manager was sitting. A tall young waiter was waiting on us kind of did what I will say crouched down to my sitting level to take our order, he was not much more than a foot away from my firearm and could care less, as with all the rest of the employees. If you are in Saint Gorge hungry, conceder the open carry friendly Cracker Barrel. Their campfire beef is good stuff. We stopped in Cedar City for gas and a cold drink at the 66 station also no problem. Also stopped in Brian Head and Parowan during our trip. No problems anywhere. I was asked by a guy politely holding the door open to Cracker Barrel what caliber my firearm was.

After receiving my CCW several years ago never thought I would have become as comfortable carrying open as I do concealed. Thanks to opencarry.org and posters.

Last edited:

Nevada carrier

After receiving my CCW several years ago never thought I would have become as comfortable carrying open as I do concealed. Thanks to opencarry.org and posters.

it's very strange indeed. I'm not talking about Open carry, I'm talking about how the magnetic poles of the earth do not reverse, people don't run in fear as the CCW instructors would have you believe.

28kfps

it's very strange indeed. I'm not talking about Open carry, I'm talking about how the magnetic poles of the earth do not reverse, people don't run in fear as the CCW instructors would have you believe.

Yep I guess some of my hesitation was due to the CCW classes. Also had to do with my usual source of information at the time. The media, people like the Gun Store owner, some of the law enforcement you might see on TV or talk to, and others in the gun or legal profession. Persons you would automatically think they are in the know, say you can open carry in Nevada and follow it up by a ”but” and include untrue adders to push their agenda having nothing to do with the actual law.