Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 68

Thread: Craziest thing you have heard While you were Oc'ing

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    758

    Craziest thing you have heard While you were Oc'ing

    I went to the KFC/A&W in Baraboo Friday afternoon, and was approached by a woman
    (Here is a little bit of the convo...)
    Lady: Excuse me sir.
    Me: Yes?
    Lady: Hi, ummmm, are you law enforcement?
    Me: No...
    Lady: Oh, well I see you have some extra "artillery" on your hip there...
    Me: Yes, it is a 40 caliber smith and wesson hand gun.
    Lady: Oh, well I assume you have a permit for that.
    Me: No I do not, Wisconsin does not require a permit for open carry.
    Lady: Well... My husband is a "FBI" agent so I am well versed in firearm laws, and "I know" you need a permit for that.
    Me: I am sorry, but I am not doing anything illegal here. I assure you I do not need a permit to openly carry a handgun in Wisconsin.
    Lady: Well, I just wanted to make sure your intentions were as pure as everyone else here.

    Thats the first part of our conversation, the only good parts. She went and sat back down pretty fast after the last line on here. I thought it was strange that she said her husband was an "fbi agent". Either way that was the most far out thing I have ever heard. So, what about anyone else?

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    9,193
    Chatting with my Chief, Roddy Perry, about a meth lab in my neighborhood, he told me to be a better, nosier neighbor and to uncover in CCW only SC.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Janesville, Wisconsin
    Posts
    13

    FBI agent

    She sounds like just another nosy Libtard. I mean FBI agent in Baraboo, very doubtful.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    9,193
    So you don't remember the story of Ismail Beciriís restaurant, Kristinaís in Baraboo and who prosecuted the case? Search milwaukee.fbi.gov for "baraboo".

  5. #5
    McX
    Guest
    some chick claiming her husband is f.b.i. and that makes her an expert on gun laws?! so while she interrogated you, was this a consenual stop, or perhapse a terry stop on her authority? sounds like you ran across 'homeland's' wife heh-heh.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    9,193
    Heh heh heh. Very good. Big Sis as fishwife.

  7. #7
    Regular Member paul@paul-fisher.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Chandler, AZ
    Posts
    4,047
    Quote Originally Posted by markofwisconsin View Post
    She sounds like just another nosy Libtard. I mean FBI agent in Baraboo, very doubtful.
    Hi! Welcome to the forum. I noticed you also posted on the Gazette story earlier. If I could please as you a personal favor, can you please not use that term, at least not on an open forum? It is insulting. While I generally agree with your sentiments, being argumentative, especially on the feedback pages of a newspaper, does not move our cause forward. We need to come across as sane, normal everyday people that just happen to want to exercise our rights. Calling people insulting names doesn't further our cause.

    Anyhow, welcome to the forum and Carry on!

    PS. Since you are in Janesville, you might want to come to the Delavan open carry event on 8/29 at Starbucks.

    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...n-meet-up-8-29
    Last edited by paul@paul-fisher.com; 08-10-2010 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Added link.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Somewhere, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,029
    Paaul@Paul-Fisher.com says:
    "If I could please as you a personal favor, can you please not use that term, at least not on an open forum? It is insulting. While I generally agree with your sentiments, being argumentative, especially on the feedback pages of a newspaper, does not move our cause forward".

    If you think forum rules have been broken, bring it to the attention of the forum moderators. They are the only ones that have a modest amount of censorship authority.

    --The authority is total--
    A "request or reminder" should be a sufficient word to the wise.
    Speaking derogatorily in an insulting manner of others is NOT acceptable here.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    9,193
    "Beware the evil paradigm of consideration, expectation, and then requirement."

  10. #10
    McX
    Guest
    yes, we must not use derrogotory terms. call them leftists, anything else makes them mad. at least i have found that to be true.

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    9,193
    A strategy that I have found personally beneficial is to embrace the derogatory epithets directed at me. Racist, elite, dumb, ignorant, homophobe, Confederate cracker; all from my enemies and sending me in the direction that they despise - opposite their direction.

  12. #12
    Regular Member TyGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    775
    It would be unwise for her to point out the fact that her husband is a LEO if she wasn't sure that your intentions were pure?

    Excuse me sir, I see that you have a pistol. Well, my husband right over there is a LEO.

    Really?

    Yes he is. Why do you have that pistol.

    To rob this place. ** draws, shoots husband, and continues with general badiness **

    Ok, I am NOT saying that OCers are criminals, but why would you want to tip your hand like that? I guess it's the same CCW versus OC debate, and no I don't think that OCing makes you a bigger target. It's just that if I were him I wouldn't want my wife telling random strangers that I was a LEO.

  13. #13
    Regular Member paul@paul-fisher.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Chandler, AZ
    Posts
    4,047
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nemo View Post
    If you think forum rules have been broken, bring it to the attention of the forum moderators. They are the only ones that have a modest amount of censorship authority.
    That is not my point. All I am asking is a little more civility in our interaction with people 'outside' our community. We have the Constitutions (State and Federal) on our side, we don't need to get into name calling. While I agree with the general definition of that term, I just believe it doesn't help our cause to use it. We can be much more effective with a civil, to the point, fact based argument.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin, ,
    Posts
    836
    Quote Originally Posted by Mlutz View Post
    Lady: Well... My husband is a "FBI" agent so I am well versed in firearm laws, and "I know" you need a permit for that.

    It's very possible her husband works for the FBI out of the Madison, and they live somewhere in the Baraboo area.

    As a law enforcement officer I expect other law enforcement officers (even a fed) to be versed in weapons laws in the state he/she works in. But that doesn't mean they are! Most law enforcement officers I know know about 85% of the gun laws. That missing
    15% makes them dangerous to the liberties of the citizenry.

    What I find amusing is the stupidity of people who approach open carriers with suspicious minds. You have a handgun, I think you could be a bad guy, so I want to know why you have it. If you think I might be a bad guy, then WHY THE HELL ARE YOU APPROACHING ME? DUH!

  15. #15
    Regular Member paul@paul-fisher.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Chandler, AZ
    Posts
    4,047
    Quote Originally Posted by pkbites View Post
    If you think I might be a bad guy, then WHY THE HELL ARE YOU APPROACHING ME? DUH!
    +1

  16. #16
    Regular Member AaronS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,497
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
    A strategy that I have found personally beneficial is to embrace the derogatory epithets directed at me. Racist, elite, dumb, ignorant, homophobe, Confederate cracker; all from my enemies and sending me in the direction that they despise - opposite their direction.
    I have, and am sure I will again, called you a lot of things Doug... Dumb and/or ignorant are two that I can't use for you. I hope you don't think of me as one of your enemies, as I do not hate you... I just don't like you much...

    Quote Originally Posted by pkbites View Post
    What I find amusing is the stupidity of people who approach open carriers with suspicious minds. You have a handgun, I think you could be a bad guy, so I want to know why you have it. If you think I might be a bad guy, then WHY THE HELL ARE YOU APPROACHING ME? DUH!
    Very good point. Now that is dumb and/or ignorant.

    Back on topic, the only odd thing that comes to mind was a shopping trip some time ago. I was in the store doing my thing, and a few little kids started running around me yelling "Mr. Police Man!". I had to stop and let the little ones know that I was not a cop, and that everything was all good. It was funny though, got to love kids.

  17. #17
    Regular Member Canard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    SE, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    148
    I had the pleasure of being asked by the manager of Cabella's if my gun was loaded. My reply was, "of course, wouldn't be much use if it wasn't. " She then asked if i could unload it while I was in the store as she could put customers at ease by telling them it was unloaded. A customer can't tell the difference loaded or not. I was asked to leave. I left and two phone calls later determined it was her personal agenda and not store policy so I returned to buy what I went there for and the same woman ended up helping me.

  18. #18
    Regular Member johnny amish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    High altitude of Vernon County, ,
    Posts
    1,025
    The craziest thing I have been asked while oc'ing was in Praire Du Chien while buying fireworks. The store owner asked me if I was LEO or just parinoid for carrying a gun. I told him neither, just prepared. He thought that was cool and we had a great conversation about oc and the messed up laws in Wisconsin. Another one educated at no charge.

  19. #19
    Wisconsin Carry, Inc. Shotgun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Madison, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,668

    "my husband is an FBI agent"

    ... Well anyway, that's what he's been telling her when he "works late" or "won't be home tonight" or gets those "secret phone calls."

  20. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Chilton, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    3,481
    Quote Originally Posted by paul@paul-fisher.com View Post
    That is not my point. All I am asking is a little more civility in our interaction with people 'outside' our community. We have the Constitutions (State and Federal) on our side, we don't need to get into name calling. While I agree with the general definition of that term, I just believe it doesn't help our cause to use it. We can be much more effective with a civil, to the point, fact based argument.
    Well Paul, I could see your argument if the guy had called her that to her face. Stating an opinion here in the forum doesn't hurt this movement. The fact is we open carriers are called disrespectful names all the time. Even by some LEO. Sometimes it is nice to have someplace to vent and I for one see nothing wrong with his remark. It was after all the truth and if people browsing this forum are not looking for the truth then why are they here?

    I think the moderators of this forum would have said something if his remark was over the limit. While this forum is used by WCI members, we must remember we are not here to censor anyone. While we stand for 2nd Amendment rights we also support all other rights and that includes the right to free speech. Besides the Libtard deserved it!

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Janesville, Wisconsin
    Posts
    13
    comment removed by moderator

  22. #22
    Regular Member paul@paul-fisher.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Chandler, AZ
    Posts
    4,047
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Gleason View Post
    Well Paul, I could see your argument if the guy had called her that to her face. Stating an opinion here in the forum doesn't hurt this movement. The fact is we open carriers are called disrespectful names all the time. Even by some LEO. Sometimes it is nice to have someplace to vent and I for one see nothing wrong with his remark. It was after all the truth and if people browsing this forum are not looking for the truth then why are they here?

    I think the moderators of this forum would have said something if his remark was over the limit. While this forum is used by WCI members, we must remember we are not here to censor anyone. While we stand for 2nd Amendment rights we also support all other rights and that includes the right to free speech. Besides the Libtard deserved it!

    James,

    I was making an assumption that the person who used the term libtard here was the same one calling people that on the comment section of the Janesville Gazette article. It might be a bad assumption and if it is, I apologize.

    Once again. I support everyones rights, all I'm saying is that resorting to name calling doesn't help our cause. There are more productive ways to win arguments. I am working to represent the open carry community in the most positive light possible without backing down on my rights. Some people have knee jerk reactions and think we are all right wing gun nuts. Stooping to their level and calling them names or saying something to the effect that 'well, people like you just wouldn't understand' doesn't help. A soft answer turns away wrath.

    Also, I'm not sure what WCI has to do with it. While I am a proud member, I do not speak for them.
    Last edited by paul@paul-fisher.com; 08-11-2010 at 07:10 AM. Reason: Fixed typo.

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    758
    I fail to see how many of the posts above this one relate to "crazy things you have heard while you oc"... You are all more than welcome to start your own thread.

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Middlefield
    Posts
    1

    This isn't something I heard...

    But something I said.

    My aunt doesn't allow CCW in her business. I visited her there and explained that CPZs attract criminals and "if one of them does start something and I can get to my truck, I am not coming back in to save anyone, I am leaving."
    Then she said "You'd come in to save me right?"
    I explained to her that "I have a duty to retreat and if I disobeyed that sign, even if a life is saved, I would be treated as a criminal and would lose my firearm rights. I am not about to let that happen."

    I doubt she will change her ways but at least she knows that I won't help.

  25. #25
    McX
    Guest
    i've had to caution some people i know; they seem to feel my firearm, and the protection it affords me automatically extends to them. i warn them; no phone boothing me. if a problem arises, i have a duty to retreat, if you are concerned for your welfare, carry your own gun.

    * phone boothing is the term i settled on for another citizen starting something, or having something happen to them, then hiding behind me, or expecting/demanding my intervention.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •