• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Craziest thing you have heard While you were Oc'ing

Mlutz

I went to the KFC/A&W in Baraboo Friday afternoon, and was approached by a woman
(Here is a little bit of the convo...)
Lady: Excuse me sir.
Me: Yes?
Lady: Hi, ummmm, are you law enforcement?
Me: No...
Lady: Oh, well I see you have some extra "artillery" on your hip there...
Me: Yes, it is a 40 caliber smith and wesson hand gun.
Lady: Oh, well I assume you have a permit for that.
Me: No I do not, Wisconsin does not require a permit for open carry.
Lady: Well... My husband is a "FBI" agent so I am well versed in firearm laws, and "I know" you need a permit for that.
Me: I am sorry, but I am not doing anything illegal here. I assure you I do not need a permit to openly carry a handgun in Wisconsin.
Lady: Well, I just wanted to make sure your intentions were as pure as everyone else here.

Thats the first part of our conversation, the only good parts. She went and sat back down pretty fast after the last line on here. I thought it was strange that she said her husband was an "fbi agent". Either way that was the most far out thing I have ever heard. So, what about anyone else? :)

M

McX

some chick claiming her husband is f.b.i. and that makes her an expert on gun laws?! so while she interrogated you, was this a consenual stop, or perhapse a terry stop on her authority? sounds like you ran across 'homeland's' wife heh-heh.

paul@paul-fisher.com

She sounds like just another nosy Libtard. I mean FBI agent in Baraboo, very doubtful:lol:.

Hi! Welcome to the forum. I noticed you also posted on the Gazette story earlier. If I could please as you a personal favor, can you please not use that term, at least not on an open forum? It is insulting. While I generally agree with your sentiments, being argumentative, especially on the feedback pages of a newspaper, does not move our cause forward. We need to come across as sane, normal everyday people that just happen to want to exercise our rights. Calling people insulting names doesn't further our cause.

Anyhow, welcome to the forum and Carry on!

PS. Since you are in Janesville, you might want to come to the Delavan open carry event on 8/29 at Starbucks.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?78765-4th-SE-Wisconsin-meet-up-8-29

Last edited:

Captain Nemo

Paaul@Paul-Fisher.com says:
"If I could please as you a personal favor, can you please not use that term, at least not on an open forum? It is insulting. While I generally agree with your sentiments, being argumentative, especially on the feedback pages of a newspaper, does not move our cause forward".

If you think forum rules have been broken, bring it to the attention of the forum moderators. They are the only ones that have a modest amount of censorship authority.

--The authority is total--
A "request or reminder" should be a sufficient word to the wise.
Speaking derogatorily in an insulting manner of others is NOT acceptable here.

M

McX

yes, we must not use derrogotory terms. call them leftists, anything else makes them mad. at least i have found that to be true.

TyGuy

It would be unwise for her to point out the fact that her husband is a LEO if she wasn't sure that your intentions were pure?

Excuse me sir, I see that you have a pistol. Well, my husband right over there is a LEO.

Really?

Yes he is. Why do you have that pistol.

To rob this place. ** draws, shoots husband, and continues with general badiness **

Ok, I am NOT saying that OCers are criminals, but why would you want to tip your hand like that? I guess it's the same CCW versus OC debate, and no I don't think that OCing makes you a bigger target. It's just that if I were him I wouldn't want my wife telling random strangers that I was a LEO.

paul@paul-fisher.com

If you think forum rules have been broken, bring it to the attention of the forum moderators. They are the only ones that have a modest amount of censorship authority.

That is not my point. All I am asking is a little more civility in our interaction with people 'outside' our community. We have the Constitutions (State and Federal) on our side, we don't need to get into name calling. While I agree with the general definition of that term, I just believe it doesn't help our cause to use it. We can be much more effective with a civil, to the point, fact based argument.

pkbites

Lady: Well... My husband is a "FBI" agent so I am well versed in firearm laws, and "I know" you need a permit for that.

It's very possible her husband works for the FBI out of the Madison, and they live somewhere in the Baraboo area.

As a law enforcement officer I expect other law enforcement officers (even a fed) to be versed in weapons laws in the state he/she works in. But that doesn't mean they are! Most law enforcement officers I know know about 85% of the gun laws. That missing
15% makes them dangerous to the liberties of the citizenry.

What I find amusing is the stupidity of people who approach open carriers with suspicious minds. You have a handgun, I think you could be a bad guy, so I want to know why you have it. If you think I might be a bad guy, then WHY THE HELL ARE YOU APPROACHING ME? DUH!

AaronS

A strategy that I have found personally beneficial is to embrace the derogatory epithets directed at me. Racist, elite, dumb, ignorant, homophobe, Confederate cracker; all from my enemies and sending me in the direction that they despise - opposite their direction.
I have, and am sure I will again, called you a lot of things Doug... Dumb and/or ignorant are two that I can't use for you. I hope you don't think of me as one of your enemies, as I do not hate you... I just don't like you much... ;)

What I find amusing is the stupidity of people who approach open carriers with suspicious minds. You have a handgun, I think you could be a bad guy, so I want to know why you have it. If you think I might be a bad guy, then WHY THE HELL ARE YOU APPROACHING ME? DUH!

Very good point. Now that is dumb and/or ignorant.

Back on topic, the only odd thing that comes to mind was a shopping trip some time ago. I was in the store doing my thing, and a few little kids started running around me yelling "Mr. Police Man!". I had to stop and let the little ones know that I was not a cop, and that everything was all good. It was funny though, got to love kids.

Canard

I had the pleasure of being asked by the manager of Cabella's if my gun was loaded. My reply was, "of course, wouldn't be much use if it wasn't. " She then asked if i could unload it while I was in the store as she could put customers at ease by telling them it was unloaded. A customer can't tell the difference loaded or not. I was asked to leave. I left and two phone calls later determined it was her personal agenda and not store policy so I returned to buy what I went there for and the same woman ended up helping me.

johnny amish

The craziest thing I have been asked while oc'ing was in Praire Du Chien while buying fireworks. The store owner asked me if I was LEO or just parinoid for carrying a gun. I told him neither, just prepared. He thought that was cool and we had a great conversation about oc and the messed up laws in Wisconsin. Another one educated at no charge.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
"my husband is an FBI agent"

... Well anyway, that's what he's been telling her when he "works late" or "won't be home tonight" or gets those "secret phone calls."

J.Gleason

Banned
That is not my point. All I am asking is a little more civility in our interaction with people 'outside' our community. We have the Constitutions (State and Federal) on our side, we don't need to get into name calling. While I agree with the general definition of that term, I just believe it doesn't help our cause to use it. We can be much more effective with a civil, to the point, fact based argument.

Well Paul, I could see your argument if the guy had called her that to her face. Stating an opinion here in the forum doesn't hurt this movement. The fact is we open carriers are called disrespectful names all the time. Even by some LEO. Sometimes it is nice to have someplace to vent and I for one see nothing wrong with his remark. It was after all the truth and if people browsing this forum are not looking for the truth then why are they here?

I think the moderators of this forum would have said something if his remark was over the limit. While this forum is used by WCI members, we must remember we are not here to censor anyone. While we stand for 2nd Amendment rights we also support all other rights and that includes the right to free speech. Besides the Libtard deserved it!