Thread: Video taping people in public. It's legal.

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar

Video taping people in public. It's legal.

Local Women Videotaped While Sunbathing.

No expectation of privacy!

http://www.clickondetroit.com/video/24570862/index.html
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

What I find interesting is that they objected to being filmed in a Public Place with their bathing suits on, yet those same images appear to be plastered all over this Video News Article which is now on the Internet.

President, CLSD, Inc., Oxford, Michigan, USA
    I found her to be incredibly over dramatic. She is probably the same person who buys the celebrity tabloids and DVR's TMZ lol

Campaign Veteran smellslikemichigan's Avatar
    it's also interesting that the reporter says that filming is perfectly legal, but at the end of the story says that one option if you're being filmed is to call the police. why? to waste taxpayer money?
    "If it ain't loaded and cocked it don't shoot." - Rooster Cogburn
    http://www.graystatemovie.com/

do you know if that biker who video taped the cop in maryland had his case dropped? he was facing a wiretapping charge

different laws in maryland

Talking Well...

I know if I was outside in a two piece bikini, I wouldnt want people filming me either!

You should see it. Its nice. Its pink.

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker6900 View Post
    I know if I was outside in a two piece bikini, I wouldnt want people filming me either!

You should see it. Its nice. Its pink.
    The bikini, or something else?

Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post
    The bikini, or something else?

Bronson
    Gross... LOL

I sure hope its legal, the government seems to do enough of it!

Although, what does bother me is the same people saying both "Its not illegal..." and "...call the police"

Think about that.

If you know an activity is legal, what is the point of calling the police?

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Creamsicle View Post
    Although, what does bother me is the same people saying both "Its not illegal..." and "...call the police"

Think about that.

If you know an activity is legal, what is the point of calling the police?
    The police like this in the days of falling crime rates: instead of having to deal with "illegal acts", the police can take a call that is registered officially as "a call", but really doesn't require them to do anything other than show up.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

This is interesting.....

I just got a phone call from the director of the ambulance service i work for part time. He told me that he has had several calls/e-mails from officers to deal with this past week involving my youtube video about the MSP trooper who illegally detained me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybBX04kE0Kk

apparently officer(s) from the county have requested that the director of the ambulance service "do something" about this. I explained to him that only one of the two people heard on the audio were breaking the law, and the law breaker was wearing a badge.
    Last edited by lapeer20m; 08-14-2010 at 05:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lapeer20m View Post
    This is interesting.....

I just got a phone call from the director of the ambulance service i work for part time. He told me that he has had several calls/e-mails from officers to deal with this past week involving my youtube video about the MSP trooper who illegally detained me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybBX04kE0Kk

apparently officer(s) from the county have requested that the director of the ambulance service "do something" about this. I explained to him that only one of the two people heard on the audio were breaking the law, and the law breaker was wearing a badge.
    If I read this correctly, wouldn't this be harassment? I would get the officers names and take appropriate actions.

I would think if you can get their names a call to the AGs office and a call to the media would be in order.

I called the director back, just to get a few answers.

Here's how it got started.....(all hearsay)

A medic (i didn't ask who, was definitely not me) was at the hospital during down time texting. An officer saw the medic and thought this person was taking a photo of the officer. The officer inquired about this requesting to see the photo's on the person's camera. He/She complied. Then the officer requested to also see the text messages, and the medic indicated that the officer would have to get a subpoena if they wanted to look at the texts. This got the officer talking about how there was memo's issued a few months ago by almont,and imlay city pd, and Lapeer county SD regarding photos, audio, and video of the officers being put on the internet (apparently by some open carry guy, who also works for the ambulance) Just for the record, only FOIA'd audio from lapeer county was posted. No photos or video's.

The memo's were e-mailed to the director of the ambulance, as well as some other e-mails. I asked him specifically who said that he should "do something" and he kind of backed off of that statement.

The EMS service is a government entity, so all of these e-mails should be available under foia. Although i think that just asking nicely would suffice.

My intention was never to be on the opposite side of the fence as law enforcement. I would think an officer would be happy that leo's who break the law are held accountable for their actions.

Sounds like i better not get pulled over for speeding in Lapeer County!

One more note: the MSP encounter took place in genesee county with a trooper from a different post.

It sounds like my stop in Lapeer County several months back, and the subsequent foia request is most likely what generated the memo's. It just goes to show that even a negative encounter can have a positive impact as nearly every open carrier is now assured to be left alone in lapeer county. (except me perhaps)
    Last edited by lapeer20m; 08-14-2010 at 06:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lapeer20m View Post
    I called the director back, just to get a few answers.

Here's how it got started.....(all hearsay)

A medic was at the hospital during down time texting. An officer saw the medic and thought this person was taking a photo of the officer. The officer inquired about this requesting to see the photo's on the person's camera. He/She complied. Then the officer requested to also see the text messages, and the medic indicated that the officer would have to get a subpoena if they wanted to look at the texts. This got the officer talking about how there was memo's issued by almont, imlay city, and Lapeer county SD regarding photos, audio, and video of the officers being put on the internet (apparently by some open carry guy, who also works for the ambulance) Just for the record, only FOIA'd audio was posted. No photos or video's.

The memo's were e-mailed to the director of the ambulance, as well as some other e-mails. I asked him specifically who said that he should "do something" and he kind of backed off of that statement.

The EMS service is a government entity, so all of these e-mails should be available under foia. Although i think that just asking nicely would suffice.

My intention was never to be on the opposite side of the fence as law enforcement. I would think an officer would be happy that leo's who break the law are held accountable for their actions.

Sounds like i better not get pulled over for speeding in Lapeer County!

One more note: the MSP encounter took place in genesee county with a trooper from a different post.
    I would FOIA the information if it was not made readily available. Based upon the memo, I would talk with the persons involved in creation of the memo if needed.

lapeer20m - What happened with that incident? I had not read about this one here and am wondering what was done about the officer's misconduct.
    "You'll be walking along.. OC.. and you'll feel GREAT. You'll feel FREEEEE like 1776 kind of Free." -cscitney87