• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Video taping people in public. It's legal.

PDinDetroit

What I find interesting is that they objected to being filmed in a Public Place with their bathing suits on, yet those same images appear to be plastered all over this Video News Article which is now on the Internet.

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
it's also interesting that the reporter says that filming is perfectly legal, but at the end of the story says that one option if you're being filmed is to call the police. why? to waste taxpayer money?

Tucker6900

Well...

I know if I was outside in a two piece bikini, I wouldnt want people filming me either!

You should see it. Its nice. Its pink.

Evil Creamsicle

Although, what does bother me is the same people saying both "Its not illegal..." and "...call the police"

Think about that.

If you know an activity is legal, what is the point of calling the police?

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Although, what does bother me is the same people saying both "Its not illegal..." and "...call the police"

Think about that.

If you know an activity is legal, what is the point of calling the police?

The police like this in the days of falling crime rates: instead of having to deal with "illegal acts", the police can take a call that is registered officially as "a call", but really doesn't require them to do anything other than show up.

lapeer20m

This is interesting.....

I just got a phone call from the director of the ambulance service i work for part time. He told me that he has had several calls/e-mails from officers to deal with this past week involving my youtube video about the MSP trooper who illegally detained me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybBX04kE0Kk

apparently officer(s) from the county have requested that the director of the ambulance service "do something" about this. I explained to him that only one of the two people heard on the audio were breaking the law, and the law breaker was wearing a badge.

Last edited:

PDinDetroit

This is interesting.....

I just got a phone call from the director of the ambulance service i work for part time. He told me that he has had several calls/e-mails from officers to deal with this past week involving my youtube video about the MSP trooper who illegally detained me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybBX04kE0Kk

apparently officer(s) from the county have requested that the director of the ambulance service "do something" about this. I explained to him that only one of the two people heard on the audio were breaking the law, and the law breaker was wearing a badge.

If I read this correctly, wouldn't this be harassment? I would get the officers names and take appropriate actions.

lapeer20m

I called the director back, just to get a few answers.

Here's how it got started.....(all hearsay)

A medic (i didn't ask who, was definitely not me) was at the hospital during down time texting. An officer saw the medic and thought this person was taking a photo of the officer. The officer inquired about this requesting to see the photo's on the person's camera. He/She complied. Then the officer requested to also see the text messages, and the medic indicated that the officer would have to get a subpoena if they wanted to look at the texts. This got the officer talking about how there was memo's issued a few months ago by almont,and imlay city pd, and Lapeer county SD regarding photos, audio, and video of the officers being put on the internet (apparently by some open carry guy, who also works for the ambulance) Just for the record, only FOIA'd audio from lapeer county was posted. No photos or video's.

The memo's were e-mailed to the director of the ambulance, as well as some other e-mails. I asked him specifically who said that he should "do something" and he kind of backed off of that statement.

The EMS service is a government entity, so all of these e-mails should be available under foia. Although i think that just asking nicely would suffice.

My intention was never to be on the opposite side of the fence as law enforcement. I would think an officer would be happy that leo's who break the law are held accountable for their actions.

Sounds like i better not get pulled over for speeding in Lapeer County!

One more note: the MSP encounter took place in genesee county with a trooper from a different post.

It sounds like my stop in Lapeer County several months back, and the subsequent foia request is most likely what generated the memo's. It just goes to show that even a negative encounter can have a positive impact as nearly every open carrier is now assured to be left alone in lapeer county. (except me perhaps)

Last edited:

PDinDetroit

I called the director back, just to get a few answers.

Here's how it got started.....(all hearsay)

A medic was at the hospital during down time texting. An officer saw the medic and thought this person was taking a photo of the officer. The officer inquired about this requesting to see the photo's on the person's camera. He/She complied. Then the officer requested to also see the text messages, and the medic indicated that the officer would have to get a subpoena if they wanted to look at the texts. This got the officer talking about how there was memo's issued by almont, imlay city, and Lapeer county SD regarding photos, audio, and video of the officers being put on the internet (apparently by some open carry guy, who also works for the ambulance) Just for the record, only FOIA'd audio was posted. No photos or video's.

The memo's were e-mailed to the director of the ambulance, as well as some other e-mails. I asked him specifically who said that he should "do something" and he kind of backed off of that statement.

The EMS service is a government entity, so all of these e-mails should be available under foia. Although i think that just asking nicely would suffice.

My intention was never to be on the opposite side of the fence as law enforcement. I would think an officer would be happy that leo's who break the law are held accountable for their actions.

Sounds like i better not get pulled over for speeding in Lapeer County!

One more note: the MSP encounter took place in genesee county with a trooper from a different post.

I would FOIA the information if it was not made readily available. Based upon the memo, I would talk with the persons involved in creation of the memo if needed.

EM87

lapeer20m - What happened with that incident? I had not read about this one here and am wondering what was done about the officer's misconduct.