Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to this

New to this

Hey guys I am new to this site but not real new to the idea of open carrying. I was wondering how OC has gone in the Appleton area as I am new to the area and have never OCed but am seriously thinking about starting. My next question is, has anyone had any problems or know of anyone that has OCed at the age of 18 almost 19? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Welcome aboard, good to have you here. To date I have not heard that age has been a discriminating factor. You have nothing to fear just because you are young. Carry on and carry proud.

Banned
    First understand the heavy responsibility that comes along with carrying a sidearm. Then learn the laws as they presently exist.

Considering your age it may help you to meet up with someone who has OC'd for a while and learn the ropes. Basically stay away from bars or restaurants that serve alcohol, government buildings, county parks, school zones (1000 feet from the edge of the property line... a ridiculous and soon to be obsolete law, I know), and make sure your sidearm is cased and unloaded in your vehicle.

There is a post around here that should be stickied concerning the laws.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
    First understand the heavy responsibility that comes along with carrying a sidearm. Then learn the laws as they presently exist.

Considering your age it may help you to meet up with someone who has OC'd for a while and learn the ropes. Basically stay away from bars or restaurants that serve alcohol, government buildings, state parks, school zones (1000 feet from the edge of the property line... a ridiculous and soon to be obsolete law, I know), and make sure your sidearm is cased and unloaded in your vehicle.

There is a post around here that should be stickied concerning the laws.
    Fixed
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Founder's Club Member bnhcomputing's Avatar

Welcome !!!

Welcome to the forum and the world of OC.

I encourage you to read this: http://www.wisconsincarry.org/legal.html

You can find a pamphlet regarding Wisconsin gun rights here: http://www.wisconsincarry.org/pdf/OCpamphletR16.pdf

I carried in PDC on Sunday just two days ago, I was in McDonalds, nobody called the police. OC is 100% legal in WI if you avoid the five restricted places (Cars, Bars, Government Buildings, State Parks, School Zones).

Car: Unloaded and in a case.
    Bar: Prohibited (Any place that serves for consumption on the premises
    Government Buildings: Prohibited
    State Parks: Prohibited
    School Zones: Prohibited (1000 ft from edge of school property unless on private property).

McDonalds, Culvers, Starbucks, WalMart, Auto Parts Store, Sporting Goods Store, Church, Bank, etc. ALL Legal UNLESS they post a sign.

LEO knows OC is legal, but they won't tell you that because they DON'T want you to exercise your rights. They may come and harass you, but nobody has ever been charged with Disorderly Conduct or Disturbing the Peace for the mere open carry of a firearm since the AG's memo April 20, 2009.

Hope this answers you questions, if not ask away, we are here to help.

Again WELCOME and Carry On!

Thanks you guys! I do realize what a responsibility it is to carry a side arm as I have many family friends that are officers who believe in OC all the way, although they too would love to see CCW. I do have one more question, does anyone know what the City of Appleton rules and laws are regarding guns? I know I may be asking the same questions again but I just want to double check everything. I went tonight to Scheels by the mall and for the heck of it asked a guy in the gun department if he knew what the gun rules were in the city and then proceeded to ask him if many people OC around Appleton and he laughed at me and told me that if I am going to OC I will be arrested and charged with DC. now I do know this has happened in the past as I have followed many of the stories and what not but I am just trying to get a feel for it. Thanks again!

All cities are preempted by state law, but some may still have laws on the books (they are unenforceable). I'm not sure of Appleton specifically though.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

McX
    welcome to the forum. the best place to be- period. any questions, don't hesitate to call me, i'm in the book, or google, or whatever they call it these days.

August 22, 2010

BIG OC Party: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...l-GC-OC-Picnic

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/...26150020750991

This is a GREAT opportunity to meet and learn the TRUTH about OC first hand.

is anyone from the Appleton area?

I've been doing the OC thing around the Fox valley since about Feb. Only had one instance where someone was worried.... mostly I don't think anybody is too concerned, I've gotten some looks tho. I've been in Pick-n-save. Copp's, Walmarts, Sheels, Gander Mtn., a tea party in downtown Appleton, a small walk to a gas station on the north side of appleton, Best buy, Menards, ect. ....... no problems. So, I would say go forth and "let it all hang out" as it were.

Quote Originally Posted by Deek View Post
    I've been doing the OC thing around the Fox valley since about Feb. Only had one instance where someone was worried.... mostly I don't think anybody is too concerned, I've gotten some looks tho. I've been in Pick-n-save. Copp's, Walmarts, Sheels, Gander Mtn., a tea party in downtown Appleton, a small walk to a gas station on the north side of appleton, Best buy, Menards, ect. ....... no problems. So, I would say go forth and "let it all hang out" as it were.
    Thank you for the encouragement!

Wisconsin Carry, Inc. Wisconsin Carry, Inc. - Chairman's Avatar
    Here is an open-carry primer brochure. Gives you basic information:
    Attachment 3528

Note, 2 page brochure meant to be printed front and back and tri-folded (barrel folded)
    Last edited by Wisconsin Carry, Inc. - Chairman; 08-11-2010 at 11:02 AM.
    www.wisconsincarry.org Wisconsin Carry, Inc. is not affiliated with opencarry.org or these web forums. Questions about discussion forum policy or forum moderation should be directed to the owners of opencarry.org not Wisconsin Carry, Inc.

Thank you all again for all the help!

www.wisconsincarry.org Wisconsin Carry, Inc. is not affiliated with opencarry.org or these web forums. Questions about discussion forum policy or forum moderation should be directed to the owners of opencarry.org not Wisconsin Carry, Inc.

Just a clarification CJE as there has been some frequent confusion. Wisconsin Carry, Inc. is a completely separate entity from this web forum, opencarry.org.

We simply use these opencarry.org forums as a discussion forum since open-carry is the only legal way to carry in Wisconsin and many of the founders of Wisconsin Carry as well as our members got to meet each other through this web forum.

Alright I got me a holster so I am one more step closer. Has anyone OC'd in Walmart in Appleton? Is there any stores that are not OC friendly?

Is there any stores that are not OC friendly?
    If you don't see a sign, its OC friendly

Banned
    ^^^ What Nik said.

I literally go everywhere in La Crosse armed and have yet to have a problem. (outside of the Burger King incident... lol).

Buffalo Wild Wings IS POSTED.

George Webs is also POSTED.

Regular Member paul@paul-fisher.com's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bnhcomputing View Post
    Buffalo Wild Wings IS POSTED.

George Webs is also POSTED.
    BWW also serves alcohol so you would need permission as well.

ON in Appleton

Quote Originally Posted by Wisconsin Carry, Inc. - Chairman View Post
    If you don't see a sign, its OC friendly
    Fox River Mall has a No weapon policy posted at the Main enterance around the corner from the Scheels enterance.
    I had my empty holster on in scheels and one of the sales guys in the gun dept. told me they don't recomend oc in the store.but it's in the mall?
    Owner Little Wolf Firearms , US ARMY RETIRED 101st Airborne & 84th DIV TRNG Small arms instructor.
    Remember , Gun Control is " USING BOTH HANDS!"

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    I'm not certain what is your point. The Mall is the property owner and the stores are the tenants subject to their contract with the landlord.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
    I'm not certain what is your point. The Mall is the property owner and the stores are the tenants subject to their contract with the landlord.
    I guess my point is the Mall is OFF LIMITS for OC and the guy at Sheels doesn't know what he's talking about..?
    Owner Little Wolf Firearms , US ARMY RETIRED 101st Airborne & 84th DIV TRNG Small arms instructor.
    Remember , Gun Control is " USING BOTH HANDS!"

Quote Originally Posted by littlewolf View Post
    I guess my point is the Mall is OFF LIMITS for OC and the guy at Sheels doesn't know what he's talking about..?
    Thank you for the heads up! I went into Scheel to pick up my holster and I had asked one of the guys int he gun department if he could give me any info if people OC in Appleton and the guy laughed at me and told me that it was dumb and I WOULD be arrested for it. I simply nodded my head and walked away.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast