• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to this

CJE

Hey guys I am new to this site but not real new to the idea of open carrying. I was wondering how OC has gone in the Appleton area as I am new to the area and have never OCed but am seriously thinking about starting. My next question is, has anyone had any problems or know of anyone that has OCed at the age of 18 almost 19? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Spartacus

Banned
First understand the heavy responsibility that comes along with carrying a sidearm. Then learn the laws as they presently exist.

Considering your age it may help you to meet up with someone who has OC'd for a while and learn the ropes. Basically stay away from bars or restaurants that serve alcohol, government buildings, county parks, school zones (1000 feet from the edge of the property line... a ridiculous and soon to be obsolete law, I know), and make sure your sidearm is cased and unloaded in your vehicle.

There is a post around here that should be stickied concerning the laws.

protias

First understand the heavy responsibility that comes along with carrying a sidearm. Then learn the laws as they presently exist.

Considering your age it may help you to meet up with someone who has OC'd for a while and learn the ropes. Basically stay away from bars or restaurants that serve alcohol, government buildings, state parks, school zones (1000 feet from the edge of the property line... a ridiculous and soon to be obsolete law, I know), and make sure your sidearm is cased and unloaded in your vehicle.

There is a post around here that should be stickied concerning the laws.

Fixed

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
Welcome !!!

Welcome to the forum and the world of OC.

I encourage you to read this: http://www.wisconsincarry.org/legal.html

You can find a pamphlet regarding Wisconsin gun rights here: http://www.wisconsincarry.org/pdf/OCpamphletR16.pdf

I carried in PDC on Sunday just two days ago, I was in McDonalds, nobody called the police. OC is 100% legal in WI if you avoid the five restricted places (Cars, Bars, Government Buildings, State Parks, School Zones).

Car: Unloaded and in a case.
Bar: Prohibited (Any place that serves for consumption on the premises
Government Buildings: Prohibited
State Parks: Prohibited
School Zones: Prohibited (1000 ft from edge of school property unless on private property).

McDonalds, Culvers, Starbucks, WalMart, Auto Parts Store, Sporting Goods Store, Church, Bank, etc. ALL Legal UNLESS they post a sign.

LEO knows OC is legal, but they won't tell you that because they DON'T want you to exercise your rights. They may come and harass you, but nobody has ever been charged with Disorderly Conduct or Disturbing the Peace for the mere open carry of a firearm since the AG's memo April 20, 2009.

Hope this answers you questions, if not ask away, we are here to help.

Again WELCOME and Carry On!

CJE

Thanks you guys! I do realize what a responsibility it is to carry a side arm as I have many family friends that are officers who believe in OC all the way, although they too would love to see CCW. I do have one more question, does anyone know what the City of Appleton rules and laws are regarding guns? I know I may be asking the same questions again but I just want to double check everything. I went tonight to Scheels by the mall and for the heck of it asked a guy in the gun department if he knew what the gun rules were in the city and then proceeded to ask him if many people OC around Appleton and he laughed at me and told me that if I am going to OC I will be arrested and charged with DC. now I do know this has happened in the past as I have followed many of the stories and what not but I am just trying to get a feel for it. Thanks again!

protias

All cities are preempted by state law, but some may still have laws on the books (they are unenforceable). I'm not sure of Appleton specifically though.

M

McX

welcome to the forum. the best place to be- period. any questions, don't hesitate to call me, i'm in the book, or google, or whatever they call it these days.

Deek

I've been doing the OC thing around the Fox valley since about Feb. Only had one instance where someone was worried.... mostly I don't think anybody is too concerned, I've gotten some looks tho. I've been in Pick-n-save. Copp's, Walmarts, Sheels, Gander Mtn., a tea party in downtown Appleton, a small walk to a gas station on the north side of appleton, Best buy, Menards, ect. ....... no problems. So, I would say go forth and "let it all hang out" as it were.

CJE

I've been doing the OC thing around the Fox valley since about Feb. Only had one instance where someone was worried.... mostly I don't think anybody is too concerned, I've gotten some looks tho. I've been in Pick-n-save. Copp's, Walmarts, Sheels, Gander Mtn., a tea party in downtown Appleton, a small walk to a gas station on the north side of appleton, Best buy, Menards, ect. ....... no problems. So, I would say go forth and "let it all hang out" as it were.

Thank you for the encouragement!

Wisconsin Carry Inc. - Chairman

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
Just a clarification CJE as there has been some frequent confusion. Wisconsin Carry, Inc. is a completely separate entity from this web forum, opencarry.org.

We simply use these opencarry.org forums as a discussion forum since open-carry is the only legal way to carry in Wisconsin and many of the founders of Wisconsin Carry as well as our members got to meet each other through this web forum.

CJE

Alright I got me a holster so I am one more step closer. Has anyone OC'd in Walmart in Appleton? Is there any stores that are not OC friendly?