• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

UOC with empty magazine + 10 rounds in pocket

ntnwwnet

This sounds like a silly question, but here goes: Is it legal to UOC with an empty magazine in the magazine well and have 10 rounds of ammo in my pocket?

I don't know why anybody else would want to UOC this way, but I was curious if it was legal.

PincheOgro1

This sounds like a silly question, but here goes: Is it legal to UOC with an empty magazine in the magazine well and have 10 rounds of ammo in my pocket?

I don't know why anybody else would want to UOC this way, but I was curious if it was legal.

Yeah you can do it that way... don't know why you would though, unless the rounds are "EXTRA".. best to have an empty mag in the well, and a loaded mag in a mag pouch on your other side.

wewd

There is no prohibition on concealing ammunition. Based on the case People v. Hale, it is only illegal to conceal a pistol magazine containing ammunition if you are also open carrying a handgun. The court based their ruling on the magazine being an integral part of the firearm. Loose rounds, speedloaders, moon clips, stripper clips, etc are legal to conceal.

Gooelf

California gun laws are ridiculous.

I believe if you are going to open carry that it should be loaded, and that the law should be changed to reflect this. If I'm ever in danger 'cause I was in the wrong bank at the right time I don't want to have to wait for you to load to be saved.
Secondly, there is plenty of other ridiculous California laws that don't make sense like how you can buy this weapon because it has the name Sig instead of Bushmaster when otherwise they are identical. Or how a minor is able to use a firearm for self defence but isn't allowed access to a firearm that an oxymoron.
And the list goes on...
Besides criminals don't follow laws that's why they're criminals and it's only taking away from the lawful citizens ability to stay safe.

EXTREMEOPS1

Campaign Veteran
Ammo in your pocket!

So why not leave your gun at home as by the time you load your magazine with the 10 rounds to "engage your target" he's killed you already and probably stolen your gun. Just load the magazine keep it visible in your "coin pocket" of your levi's so your weapon can be made ready in under 2 seconds as displayed on many U tube videos. Don't become another statistic ! Oh as your loose ammo is concealed in your pocket that I believe is illegal so don't do it !

Last edited:

ntnwwnet

So why not leave your gun at home as by the time you load your magazine with the 10 rounds to "engage your target" he's killed you already and probably stolen your gun.

It was just asked to get some clarification. A friend of mine that wants to start to UOC and I were in a little debate about it.

Just load the magazine keep it visible in your "coin pocket" of your levi's so your weapon can be made ready in under 2 seconds as displayed on many U tube videos.

I'm not sure that would qualify as "openly carried." I have a belt paddle holster for 2 of my magazines that I use.

Oh as your loose ammo is concealed in your pocket that I believe is illegal so don't do it !

Since loose rounds aren't considered an *integral* part of the firearm, they can be concealed.

--

Thanks for the info guys. My buddy decided to hold off on UOC until he gets a holster for his magazines (the better decision, in my opinion) as trying to load 10 rounds into a magazine under pressure/stress is just asking for trouble.

Last edited:

texasrancher

I carry( CC ) a loaded Glock 32C with 13 rd mags in cali when im riding in the desert only people i see is the blm power rangers and they don't know their head from their a$$.

Iopencarry

I carry( CC ) a loaded Glock 32C with 13 rd mags in cali when im riding in the desert only people i see is the blm power rangers and they don't know their head from their a$$.

What you do is your business, but please DO NOT advise others of your ILLEGAL ACTS. We are fighting for our RIGHTS here in Ca and do not want or need Illegal info being spread.

As was said above, your not in TX anymore, and CA does not honor any other states CCW permits.

EXTREMEOPS1

Campaign Veteran
Just an update on my reply

It was just asked to get some clarification. A friend of mine that wants to start to UOC and I were in a little debate about it.

Always encourage fellow OC'ers to openly carry

I'm not sure that would qualify as "openly carried." I have a belt paddle holster for 2 of my magazines that I use.

You are open carrying your weapon so your magazines or speedloaders must be visible i.e not in your pocket concealed . The levi "coin pocket " visible is allowed

Since loose rounds aren't considered an *integral* part of the firearm, they can be concealed.

My bad on loose ammo in your pocket apparently you can carry it loose..don't see the point as I carry enough magazines to end a war lol
--

Thanks for the info guys. My buddy decided to hold off on UOC until he gets a holster for his magazines (the better decision, in my opinion) as trying to load 10 rounds into a magazine under pressure/stress is just asking for trouble.

Yep that trying to load under extreme pressure can be very challenging

OPS MARINE

Rounds in the pocket

As others on the forum have posted, it is legal to have rounds in your pocket, but a loaded magazine, clearly visible on your side (opposite the weapon) should be your standard method of carry. I keep those extra 11 rounds in my pocket as well. As much contact (positive) as I've had with LE up to this point, I don't think it matters much.

nicki

Uoc

When I do UOC, I carry loaded mags openly and I carry my gun with slide back, no mag so it makes seeing that the gun is empty a no brainer.

The fact that I can draw and load in about 1.5 to 2 seconds since I don't have to rack the slide, drop out the magazine had nothing to do with my choice of carry. I mean, what's an extra 1.5 to 2 seconds, right.

Carrying bullets in your pocket, my only comment is why bother.

Nicki

OPS MARINE

When I do UOC, I carry loaded mags openly and I carry my gun with slide back, no mag so it makes seeing that the gun is empty a no brainer.

The fact that I can draw and load in about 1.5 to 2 seconds since I don't have to rack the slide, drop out the magazine had nothing to do with my choice of carry. I mean, what's an extra 1.5 to 2 seconds, right.

Carrying bullets in your pocket, my only comment is why bother.

Nicki

I am not going to dismiss your style of carry as inadequate, but I feel the need to ask some questions.

Why would you carry the weapon in such a way that makes it apparent to an unknown threat that the weapon is unloaded? Your draw and load time (called a reload drill), as small as it is, will be affected when faced with a threat...even if you're Larry Hamby.

My understanding of OC is to not necessarily strike fear in the hearts of the public, but to deter any criminal activity that may come your way. Will snapping the slide shut and having an empty magazine in the well keep you out of trouble? No, but it will help you need to clean the weapon a whole lot less. Also, it would seem to me that you'd get more questions for carrying a weapon in that manner than if someone thought it were loaded.

On to the bullets in the pocket. I don't think anyone here is saying that they do this exclusively. The bullets that are in the pocket belong in the empty magazine and can come in handy should you be pinned down. I understand if you (Nicki) have both magazines full and nothing in your well...then you're doing fine. I, on the other hand, load and top off right before I get out of the vehicle depending on where I am, and I'm loading the other magazine on the way in. That's just me. But in answer to your question, that's my "why bother."