Thread: Boy critically wounded after finding gun in safe in Mason County.

Boy critically wounded after finding gun in safe in Mason County.

See the link - few details at this point, but this is why my safe has a combination lock.
    I feel sorry for what the family has to go through.

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/42485...tml?source=rss
    Last edited by Contrarian; 08-10-2010 at 06:51 PM. Reason: add link (again).

Link please.....

Uhmm, this is why I taught my little brother (who is now 8) proper gun handling and rules in the first 15 minutes of bringing home the M&P. No fingers on triggers, no pointing at anyone, he even goes to tell me it is out in the open. He'll get to fire, when I find a small enough .22 to fit his hands.

I don't feel bad for the parents, I feel bad for the child that he got stuck with moron parents who didn't defuse the child's curiosity by letting the child get to understand the firearm in a controlled environment.

Been harassed by the police? Yelled at by the anti-gun neighbors? Mother doesn't approve?

Then this is the place for you! Click here to get back at them!

This is why I invested in a good strong safe with a combo lock. I also just purchased a gun vault single gun safe with a tamper alarm, haven’t received it yet though. My son is only three but the wife and I have agreed he will be getting a youth .22lr bolt action for his fourth birthday, he will learn gun safety and go shooting for the first time that day.
    Last edited by bennie1986; 08-10-2010 at 07:41 PM.

Very sad,

Combination locks on the safe are maybe better. My safe is full size, digital pad at the five foot level and at least a little harder to reach. The combination is not written anywhere and non-sensenical.

I have read how this kind of accident happens...when the curious child is investigating, they hold the weapon with two hands, thumbs on trigger, ends up muzzle pointing right at them.....it sounds like this may have been a double action pistol.

Education is important, but monitoring these little kids is critical, we don't have any little ones anymore, but when the grandkids are around....House rules for us is that all guns in the house are in the safe when the kiddies are about.

Our prayers are with this child and family....
    Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat....Teddy Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Poosharker View Post
    Uhmm, this is why I taught my little brother (who is now 8) proper gun handling and rules in the first 15 minutes of bringing home the M&P. No fingers on triggers, no pointing at anyone, he even goes to tell me it is out in the open. He'll get to fire, when I find a small enough .22 to fit his hands.

I don't feel bad for the parents, I feel bad for the child that he got stuck with moron parents who didn't defuse the child's curiosity by letting the child get to understand the firearm in a controlled environment.
    +10000000000

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar

Poo bring him up here to shoot I got a .22 rifle and a .22 pistol he can shoot my kids hardly want to shoot anymore. And they absolutely are safe around guns. Education is the best prevention to "accidents". Good job.

Firearm that is new to the house, we sit down with the kids, pass the firearm around, talk about gun safety, let the kids ask questions and remind them that if they ever want to hold on of the firearms, all they need to do is ask. The thing is, they never ask, and rarely even look at the firearms. We take them shooting on a regular basis also.
    I don't mind watching the OC-Community (tea party 2.0's, who have hijacked the OC-Community) cannibalize itself. I do mind watching OC dragged through the gutter. OC is an exercise of A Right. I choose to not OC; I choose to not own firearms. I choose to leave the OC-Community to it's own self-inflicted injuries, and eventual implosion. Carry on...

Something forbidden is always going to stike a kids curiousity. If your parents said "don't you dare do blah blah", as soon as they were gone you'd be doing it. I agree taking the curiousity out of firearms is probably one of the best deterents. If people truly want to reduce firearm accidents, all it takes is firearm education. Not this crap about if you see a gun, run and tell an adult. Teach the kids how they work, what they do, how to be safe.

Disclamer: I am not a parent, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn once.

This is exactly how I worked with my own son on this subject.

"Leave it alone"
    "Tell me if you see it laying out"

Then:
    "do not point a firearm at something that you do not want a hole in"
    "do not put your finger on the trigger unless it is pointed at something you want to put a hole in"
    "If you do not know if it is loaded, treat it as if it IS loaded"

Sunday he outshot me with my Beretta 92FS, safely on the shooting range. He is 12.
    AND tried the Taurus .38 snubby for the first time and liked it. And shot better with it than I did. Little show-off.

Gun safety, i.e., muzzle control and trigger discipline, began with his plastic toy guns. Today, he is safer with a firearm in his hands than some adults I have met.
    Last edited by wrightme; 08-11-2010 at 01:14 AM.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

I feel for the family in this tragedy, which was preventable with education.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

I am wondering about the "rest of the story" here....it seems to me that the statement by the 8 year old to the sheriff was a little odd....if he was there and saw his little brother "looking right down the barrel"? It sounds like they were both playing at this more than we know at this point
    Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat....Teddy Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by jt59 View Post
    I am wondering about the "rest of the story" here....it seems to me that the statement by the 8 year old to the sheriff was a little odd....if he was there and saw his little brother "looking right down the barrel"? It sounds like they were both playing at this more than we know at this point
    No matter how this works out it is a tragedy. But, I raised four sons and have grandsons this age and when I read the story:

"The boy apparently found the key to a locked gun safe, unlocked the safe and pulled out a pistol, said sheriff's spokesman Dean Byrd.
    An 8-year-old on the home told investigators the boy was looking down the barrel when the gun went off."

The first thing that came to my mind was, no, the 8 year old got the key, opened the safe, and shot his brother.

Quote Originally Posted by ARADCOM View Post
    "The boy apparently found the key to a locked gun safe, unlocked the safe and pulled out a pistol, said sheriff's spokesman Dean Byrd.
    An 8-year-old on the home told investigators the boy was looking down the barrel when the gun went off."
    To me, that reads like this:
    Two boys at home unsupervised, got in to the safe that has the neat guns, and were checking them out.

Forbidden fruit, curiosity.

Quote Originally Posted by ARADCOM View Post
    No matter how this works out it is a tragedy. But, I raised four sons and have grandsons this age and when I read the story:

The first thing that came to my mind was, no, the 8 year old got the key, opened the safe, and shot his brother.
    Why, you must know something! Police are now saying that the 8 year old shot the 6 year old. That's something really fricken hard to live with....can't even imagine what that family is going thru. All over some preventable stuff...

Been harassed by the police? Yelled at by the anti-gun neighbors? Mother doesn't approve?

Then this is the place for you! Click here to get back at them!

Unhappy

Why, you must know something! Police are now saying that the 8 year old shot the 6 year old. That's something really fricken hard to live with....can't even imagine what that family is going thru. All over some preventable stuff...
    Yeah, I'm sorry to read that I was right 'cuz that is even a worse tragedy for that family. My heart goes out to them and I hope they can work thru it and heal.

And I hope gun safety in the home is on everyone's mind.

Quote Originally Posted by jt59 View Post
    me too!....and here's the rest of the story

Gunshot wound to 6-year-old Mason County boy not self-inflicted

• Published August 11, 2010

Mason County Sheriff’s detectives now say that after analysis of forensic evidence at the scene and an interview with the victim’s eight year old brother, they have concluded the gunshot that critically injured a six year old Elma boy yesterday came from the boy’s brother and was not self inflicted.

When deputies responded to the scene of the shooting yesterday, they were told the six-year-old boy had been playing with the gun and accidentally shot himself. Detectives are continuing their investigation in an attempt to determine how and why the shooting occurred.

Deputies were notified of the incident yesterday at about 11:30 AM of the shooting. The boy was airlifted to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle where he remains in critical condition.

Read more: http://www.theolympian.com/2010/08/1...#ixzz0wKomgs5O
    Last edited by jt59; 08-11-2010 at 05:27 PM.

I feel bad for them. It's called sympathy. Regardless of who is at fault, they just almost lost a child, and the other one is in line for some serious counseling for a very long time. Try some compassion for a change.........I'm sure they have enough guilt on their shoulders without monday morning quarterbacks
    Last edited by jddssc121; 08-11-2010 at 07:52 PM. Reason: grammar

Quote Originally Posted by jddssc121 View Post
    I feel bad for them. It's called sympathy. Regardless of who is at fault, they just lost a child, and the other one is in line for some serious counseling for a very long time. Try some compassion for a change.........I'm sure they have enough guilt on their shoulders without monday morning quarterbacks
    Forgive Poo, I don't think they have any children. Parents typically realize that as a parent we make big and small mistakes. These parents made a mistake somewhere along the way, and will be held accountable emotionally. Hopefully the child recovers, although, a head shot is not good at all.
    I don't mind watching the OC-Community (tea party 2.0's, who have hijacked the OC-Community) cannibalize itself. I do mind watching OC dragged through the gutter. OC is an exercise of A Right. I choose to not OC; I choose to not own firearms. I choose to leave the OC-Community to it's own self-inflicted injuries, and eventual implosion. Carry on...

Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    Forgive Poo, I don't think they have any children. Parents typically realize that as a parent we make big and small mistakes. These parents made a mistake somewhere along the way, and will be held accountable emotionally. Hopefully the child recovers, although, a head shot is not good at all.
    (edited my OP to "almost lost")

I agree 92FS. I almost wrote "I'm guessing you don't have kids"...

As a parent - I know enough to know the pain and guilt they are going thru right now is beyond my comprehension; it's something i hope i never experience. Regardless of fault, my heart goes out to them.
    Last edited by jddssc121; 08-11-2010 at 07:55 PM. Reason: typo

I hope that the boy who accidentally shot his brother gets lots of love and support from his parents. The guilt he is going to grow up with is heartbreaking.

I dont believe he was saying that the parents should not feel guilt or sadness. I believe he was instead stating that perhaps they should have planned ahead and tried to prevent this instance in the future. Then again I can not really speak for anyone else, that is just my opinion and assumption based on the post.

I also feel bad for the parents, however I cannot help but also feel blame for them. My house that I grew up in did not have guns (you think interstate transport of guns is difficult try international transport of guns) HOWEVER my father made sure that from the point that i got my first NERF ball pop shooter (shotgun style action that shot a NERF ball) I KNEW about safe gun handling. I did not ACTUALLY shoot a REAL gun until I was 14 yrs old, however I had the knowledge and training instilled in me from a very young age: Finger straight and off the trigger, Never point a gun at something you do not wish to destroy, Keep weapon on safe until you intend to fire, TREAT EVERY WEAPON AS IF IT WERE LOADED.

on that note I used to live in bremerton on an old ammo dump (Jackson park housing) at 8 yrs old I found what I now believe to have been an M1 Garand buried while digging in the backyard. I unearthed it picked it up and brought it to my dad. Did my dad yell at me for touching a gun? NOPE. Matter of fact my dad commended me for my weapon handling and how I had my finger off the trigger ( held it across my arms but still) and how I did not point it at anyone, even while walking it inside. Granted it was so rusted up a pull of the trigger would probably have made it fall apart, but you get my point.
    Last edited by devildoc5; 08-11-2010 at 08:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by devildoc5 View Post
    I dont believe he was saying that the parents should not feel guilt or sadness. I believe he was instead stating that perhaps they should have planned ahead and tried to prevent this instance in the future. Then again I can not really speak for anyone else, that is just my opinion and assumption based on the post.
    He said "he didn't feel bad for them"... that's all i was addressing. Again, i'm not trying to absolve (nor assign) blame to the parents....Just asking we all have some compassion for others, even when they screw up.

ok I guess I am kinda able to see both sides of the issue here.

I can see why he MIGHT mean he doesn't feel any remorse or sadness for the parents. It is kinda along the same lines of would you feel remorse for someone who KNOWINGLY attempted to commit a felony and got killed in the process? It might not be exactly the same but in both cases the person(s) lack of forethought and negligence both caused injury/death...

I also see how the parents should feel sorry and will be probably haunted forever about this incident.

I am not siding with anyone or any particular side of the issue here, jsut stating that both sides can be looked at and at least respected, I guess?...lol