• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Boy critically wounded after finding gun in safe in Mason County.

OrangeIsTrouble

Uhmm, this is why I taught my little brother (who is now 8) proper gun handling and rules in the first 15 minutes of bringing home the M&P. No fingers on triggers, no pointing at anyone, he even goes to tell me it is out in the open. He'll get to fire, when I find a small enough .22 to fit his hands.

I don't feel bad for the parents, I feel bad for the child that he got stuck with moron parents who didn't defuse the child's curiosity by letting the child get to understand the firearm in a controlled environment.

bennie1986

This is why I invested in a good strong safe with a combo lock. I also just purchased a gun vault single gun safe with a tamper alarm, haven’t received it yet though. My son is only three but the wife and I have agreed he will be getting a youth .22lr bolt action for his fourth birthday, he will learn gun safety and go shooting for the first time that day.

Last edited:

jt59

Very sad,

Combination locks on the safe are maybe better. My safe is full size, digital pad at the five foot level and at least a little harder to reach. The combination is not written anywhere and non-sensenical.

I have read how this kind of accident happens...when the curious child is investigating, they hold the weapon with two hands, thumbs on trigger, ends up muzzle pointing right at them.....it sounds like this may have been a double action pistol.

Education is important, but monitoring these little kids is critical, we don't have any little ones anymore, but when the grandkids are around....House rules for us is that all guns in the house are in the safe when the kiddies are about.

Our prayers are with this child and family....

J_Douglass

Uhmm, this is why I taught my little brother (who is now 8) proper gun handling and rules in the first 15 minutes of bringing home the M&P. No fingers on triggers, no pointing at anyone, he even goes to tell me it is out in the open. He'll get to fire, when I find a small enough .22 to fit his hands.

I don't feel bad for the parents, I feel bad for the child that he got stuck with moron parents who didn't defuse the child's curiosity by letting the child get to understand the firearm in a controlled environment.

+10000000000

sudden valley gunner

Poo bring him up here to shoot I got a .22 rifle and a .22 pistol he can shoot my kids hardly want to shoot anymore. And they absolutely are safe around guns. Education is the best prevention to "accidents". Good job.

Beretta92FSLady

Firearm that is new to the house, we sit down with the kids, pass the firearm around, talk about gun safety, let the kids ask questions and remind them that if they ever want to hold on of the firearms, all they need to do is ask. The thing is, they never ask, and rarely even look at the firearms. We take them shooting on a regular basis also.

Jayd1981

Something forbidden is always going to stike a kids curiousity. If your parents said "don't you dare do blah blah", as soon as they were gone you'd be doing it. I agree taking the curiousity out of firearms is probably one of the best deterents. If people truly want to reduce firearm accidents, all it takes is firearm education. Not this crap about if you see a gun, run and tell an adult. Teach the kids how they work, what they do, how to be safe.

Disclamer: I am not a parent, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn once.

wrightme

This is exactly how I worked with my own son on this subject.

"Leave it alone"
"Tell me if you see it laying out"

Then:
"do not point a firearm at something that you do not want a hole in"
"do not put your finger on the trigger unless it is pointed at something you want to put a hole in"
"If you do not know if it is loaded, treat it as if it IS loaded"

Sunday he outshot me with my Beretta 92FS, safely on the shooting range. He is 12. :banana:
AND tried the Taurus .38 snubby for the first time and liked it. And shot better with it than I did. Little show-off. :lol:

Gun safety, i.e., muzzle control and trigger discipline, began with his plastic toy guns. Today, he is safer with a firearm in his hands than some adults I have met.

Last edited:

jt59

I am wondering about the "rest of the story" here....it seems to me that the statement by the 8 year old to the sheriff was a little odd....if he was there and saw his little brother "looking right down the barrel"? It sounds like they were both playing at this more than we know at this point:banghead:

ARADCOM

I am wondering about the "rest of the story" here....it seems to me that the statement by the 8 year old to the sheriff was a little odd....if he was there and saw his little brother "looking right down the barrel"? It sounds like they were both playing at this more than we know at this point:banghead:

No matter how this works out it is a tragedy. But, I raised four sons and have grandsons this age and when I read the story:

"The boy apparently found the key to a locked gun safe, unlocked the safe and pulled out a pistol, said sheriff's spokesman Dean Byrd.
An 8-year-old on the home told investigators the boy was looking down the barrel when the gun went off."

The first thing that came to my mind was, no, the 8 year old got the key, opened the safe, and shot his brother.

wrightme

"The boy apparently found the key to a locked gun safe, unlocked the safe and pulled out a pistol, said sheriff's spokesman Dean Byrd.
An 8-year-old on the home told investigators the boy was looking down the barrel when the gun went off."
To me, that reads like this:
Two boys at home unsupervised, got in to the safe that has the neat guns, and were checking them out.

Forbidden fruit, curiosity.

OrangeIsTrouble

No matter how this works out it is a tragedy. But, I raised four sons and have grandsons this age and when I read the story:

The first thing that came to my mind was, no, the 8 year old got the key, opened the safe, and shot his brother.

Why, you must know something! Police are now saying that the 8 year old shot the 6 year old. That's something really fricken hard to live with....can't even imagine what that family is going thru. All over some preventable stuff...

ARADCOM

Why, you must know something! Police are now saying that the 8 year old shot the 6 year old. That's something really fricken hard to live with....can't even imagine what that family is going thru. All over some preventable stuff...

Yeah, I'm sorry to read that I was right 'cuz that is even a worse tragedy for that family. My heart goes out to them and I hope they can work thru it and heal.

And I hope gun safety in the home is on everyone's mind.

jt59

me too!....and here's the rest of the story:cry:

Gunshot wound to 6-year-old Mason County boy not self-inflicted

• Published August 11, 2010

Mason County Sheriff’s detectives now say that after analysis of forensic evidence at the scene and an interview with the victim’s eight year old brother, they have concluded the gunshot that critically injured a six year old Elma boy yesterday came from the boy’s brother and was not self inflicted.

When deputies responded to the scene of the shooting yesterday, they were told the six-year-old boy had been playing with the gun and accidentally shot himself. Detectives are continuing their investigation in an attempt to determine how and why the shooting occurred.

Deputies were notified of the incident yesterday at about 11:30 AM of the shooting. The boy was airlifted to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle where he remains in critical condition.

Read more: http://www.theolympian.com/2010/08/11/1332947/gunshot-wound-6-year-old-mason.html#ixzz0wKomgs5O

Last edited:

jddssc121

I feel bad for them. It's called sympathy. Regardless of who is at fault, they just almost lost a child, and the other one is in line for some serious counseling for a very long time. Try some compassion for a change.........I'm sure they have enough guilt on their shoulders without monday morning quarterbacks

Last edited:

Beretta92FSLady

I feel bad for them. It's called sympathy. Regardless of who is at fault, they just lost a child, and the other one is in line for some serious counseling for a very long time. Try some compassion for a change.........I'm sure they have enough guilt on their shoulders without monday morning quarterbacks

Forgive Poo, I don't think they have any children. Parents typically realize that as a parent we make big and small mistakes. These parents made a mistake somewhere along the way, and will be held accountable emotionally. Hopefully the child recovers, although, a head shot is not good at all.

jddssc121

Forgive Poo, I don't think they have any children. Parents typically realize that as a parent we make big and small mistakes. These parents made a mistake somewhere along the way, and will be held accountable emotionally. Hopefully the child recovers, although, a head shot is not good at all.

(edited my OP to "almost lost")

I agree 92FS. I almost wrote "I'm guessing you don't have kids"...

As a parent - I know enough to know the pain and guilt they are going thru right now is beyond my comprehension; it's something i hope i never experience. Regardless of fault, my heart goes out to them.

Last edited: