• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

County License Office shennanigans and hijinx.

Superlite27

Here's a good one:

Several weeks ago, I received my CCW renewal notice. I go to the Sheriff, get my qualification notice, and trot down to the local license office.

The licence office in my county is a private business that contracts its licensing service to the Missouri Department of Revenue. It states on the door "This is a private business operating under contract". Therefore, I assume since it states it is not a public or government entity but actually says, in writing, on the front of the building, that it is a "private company", the restriction on firearms does not apply. The fact that there is no signage on the front of the building anywhere corroborates my belief. Across the street at the courthouse is a BIG SIGN posted in regulation size and print stating "no firearms". THERE IS NO SIGNAGE on the front of the (as stated before) PRIVATELY OWNED license office.

So, I carried into the place to have the endorsement put on my ID.

Whereupon, I encounter Office Worker A and B working behind the counter. Nothing is said by them or the five other customers in the place. It takes about 15 minutes before I am called to submit my paperwork. As I am seated at the desk, Office Worker C enters, notices my firearm, and asks: "Who do you work for?" So I tell him. He shrugs, and then walks away and into his office. After a minute or two, the computer goes on the fritz, and Office Worker B calls Office Worker C out of his office. Office Worker C takes my paperwork, tries to put it into the computer, and discovers the Sheriff hasn't done some computer work on his end, and decideds to call him.

The Sheriff's office tells him it'll be about an hour.

O.K. I'm not going to sit there for an hour. I tell Office Worker C that I'll come back after I get some lunch. He says O.K. I go get a burger and come back about an hour later.

Upon entering, Office Worker C asks to talk to me in his office. "Sure. No problem." Upon entering his office, he asks: "You work for (_____________)? Right?" And I say "Yes. That's what I told you before." He replies with: "We only allow law enforcement to carry firearms in here." So I tell him "No problem." (I wasn't going to bring up the subject of signage, that's HIS responsibility.) So I informed him I'd leave my firearm in my vehicle. And he said that's fine. On my way out, he points out a "homemade" sign printed in small lettering on computer paper on a bullitin board well inside the office. "No firearms allowed".

O.K. I missed it. It wasn't regulation, there's no penalty under law as I folowed his request to leave, and we all know how interesting DMV bulliten boards are to read. I failed to notice the tiny little sign. I came back in unarmed, got my endorsement, and left. Done deal.

Not quite yet.

Today at work, my boss calls me into his office. I get a royal ass chewing for "using my employment at (___________)" as an excuse to carry a firearm. I know EXACTLY where this is coming from, before my boss even mentions........

Seems as though Office Worker C has been calling around using my name and information (Which I believe is private, therefore priveledged information, correct?) to locate me. He finally got hold of my boss (at his home) and proceeded to inform him that I was IMPERSONATING A POLICE OFFICER USING MY EMPLOYMENT AT (_________) AS AUTHORITY TO CARRY A GUN.

Whoa! AM I PISSED! When did I ever state anything of the sort? I WAS ASKED where I work. At NO POINT DID I CLAIM THAT MY EMPLOYMENT AT (_______________) gave me any authority. THE LAW gives me authority! I need nothing other than THE LAW to carry a firearm. I don't tell ANYONE where I work, and if I do, it's usually very vague. I only told him as he was in a position of authority...the license office. Didn't know what it had to do with my CCW, but the Sheriff had also asked, and I told him. Now if Joe Schmo wants to know, though, the answer is NUNYA. But, I was unaware he was going to use this information in a nefarious manner - to track me down and nasty me to my boss. The exact reason I don't discuss where I work.

Now. I'm currently in the process of constructing a letter to the head of the Missouri Department of Revenue, which I plan on sending certified, and also setting an appointment face to face with her regarding this incident. I have researched info on Office Worker C, which I will not give out at this time pending further happenings concerning this. I'm considering hiring an attorney as the action he has taken has not made me any friends in my hierarchy at work.

Sue for libel? I'm wondering what action the Missouri Department of Revenue will take. If none, what then? I'm pretty sure my personal information is not to be used by A PRIVATE BUSINESSES' EMPLOYEE to do what Office Worker C has done.

Any suggestions on what my next course of action is? MDR is the contracting agency that this licence office works for. They would be the people to go to correct? Any other suggestions?

patriotthad

I agree that something needs to be done. And I believe you have taken the appropriate action in contacting DOR Director. I do believe that I would give the thought of a law suit serious consideration as I believe it to be beneficial.

Jaysann22

Wow. Thats interesting. I'll have to say, its going to be tough to prove this one. Its really your word against the office worker. Plus i highly doubt any workers are going to testify in your favor, if they saw or heard anything at all. Hopefully when you contact the DOR they'll decide to settle upon your threat of legal action to avoid court. Good luck though. :)

America is such a joke today. We outsource EVERYTHING. Manufacturing, military, license offices, and even call centers/customer service. Sh!t even picking fruit is outsourced.

We got laws for monopoly companies, what we really need is a law prohibiting outsourcing... :cuss:

Last edited:

cshoff

Here's a good one:

Several weeks ago, I received my CCW renewal notice. I go to the Sheriff, get my qualification notice, and trot down to the local license office.

The licence office in my county is a private business that contracts its licensing service to the Missouri Department of Revenue. It states on the door "This is a private business operating under contract". Therefore, I assume since it states it is not a public or government entity but actually says, in writing, on the front of the building, that it is a "private company", the restriction on firearms does not apply. The fact that there is no signage on the front of the building anywhere corroborates my belief. Across the street at the courthouse is a BIG SIGN posted in regulation size and print stating "no firearms". THERE IS NO SIGNAGE on the front of the (as stated before) PRIVATELY OWNED license office.

So, I carried into the place to have the endorsement put on my ID.

Whereupon, I encounter Office Worker A and B working behind the counter. Nothing is said by them or the five other customers in the place. It takes about 15 minutes before I am called to submit my paperwork. As I am seated at the desk, Office Worker C enters, notices my firearm, and asks: "Who do you work for?" So I tell him. He shrugs, and then walks away and into his office. After a minute or two, the computer goes on the fritz, and Office Worker B calls Office Worker C out of his office. Office Worker C takes my paperwork, tries to put it into the computer, and discovers the Sheriff hasn't done some computer work on his end, and decideds to call him.

The Sheriff's office tells him it'll be about an hour.

O.K. I'm not going to sit there for an hour. I tell Office Worker C that I'll come back after I get some lunch. He says O.K. I go get a burger and come back about an hour later.

Upon entering, Office Worker C asks to talk to me in his office. "Sure. No problem." Upon entering his office, he asks: "You work for (_____________)? Right?" And I say "Yes. That's what I told you before." He replies with: "We only allow law enforcement to carry firearms in here." So I tell him "No problem." (I wasn't going to bring up the subject of signage, that's HIS responsibility.) So I informed him I'd leave my firearm in my vehicle. And he said that's fine. On my way out, he points out a "homemade" sign printed in small lettering on computer paper on a bullitin board well inside the office. "No firearms allowed".

O.K. I missed it. It wasn't regulation, there's no penalty under law as I folowed his request to leave, and we all know how interesting DMV bulliten boards are to read. I failed to notice the tiny little sign. I came back in unarmed, got my endorsement, and left. Done deal.

Not quite yet.

Today at work, my boss calls me into his office. I get a royal ass chewing for "using my employment at (___________)" as an excuse to carry a firearm. I know EXACTLY where this is coming from, before my boss even mentions........

Seems as though Office Worker C has been calling around using my name and information (Which I believe is private, therefore priveledged information, correct?) to locate me. He finally got hold of my boss (at his home) and proceeded to inform him that I was IMPERSONATING A POLICE OFFICER USING MY EMPLOYMENT AT (_________) AS AUTHORITY TO CARRY A GUN.

Whoa! AM I PISSED! When did I ever state anything of the sort? I WAS ASKED where I work. At NO POINT DID I CLAIM THAT MY EMPLOYMENT AT (_______________) gave me any authority. THE LAW gives me authority! I need nothing other than THE LAW to carry a firearm. I don't tell ANYONE where I work, and if I do, it's usually very vague. I only told him as he was in a position of authority...the license office. Didn't know what it had to do with my CCW, but the Sheriff had also asked, and I told him. Now if Joe Schmo wants to know, though, the answer is NUNYA. But, I was unaware he was going to use this information in a nefarious manner - to track me down and nasty me to my boss. The exact reason I don't discuss where I work.

Now. I'm currently in the process of constructing a letter to the head of the Missouri Department of Revenue, which I plan on sending certified, and also setting an appointment face to face with her regarding this incident. I have researched info on Office Worker C, which I will not give out at this time pending further happenings concerning this. I'm considering hiring an attorney as the action he has taken has not made me any friends in my hierarchy at work.

Sue for libel? I'm wondering what action the Missouri Department of Revenue will take. If none, what then? I'm pretty sure my personal information is not to be used by A PRIVATE BUSINESSES' EMPLOYEE to do what Office Worker C has done.

Any suggestions on what my next course of action is? MDR is the contracting agency that this licence office works for. They would be the people to go to correct? Any other suggestions?

Question - Did this DMV employee, at any time, inform your boss that you have a CCW permit? If so, this employee is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor under RSMO 571.101.8.

Superlite27

1) Should I ask my boss if he did?

2) Wouldn't the fact of asking my boss negate the fact of Office Worker C telling him?

For example: If I go into work tomorrow and say, "Hey Boss, did that guy from the License Office inform you that I was there to renew my CCW permit?"...wouldn't this be informing my boss that I have a CCW permit, therefore negating the fact of Office Worker C informing him as I have effectively informed him myself?

How should I go about this? My boss never mentioned it, he merely chewed on me for using my employment as authority to OC. Once I explained to my boss that I didn't need to, as the LAW is all I need to OC, that Office Worker C merely asked where I worked, and that Office Worker C was making **** up, that was the end of it......my boss told me to get out of his office and go back to work.

What is the correct procedure to follow if Office Worker C did, in fact, inform my boss? How do I find out without asking my boss and effectively informing him myself? I'm guessing, if he didn't know before, he can pretty much GUESS since Office Worker C has identified himself to my boss as a License Office Employee and made up a bunch of lies about my carrying of a firearm.

ETA: Of course, the text of 571.101.8 doesn't state "qualifiers"......

All information on any such certificate that is protected information on any driver's or nondriver's license shall have the same personal protection for purposes of sections 571.101 to 571.121. An applicant's status as a holder of a certificate of qualification or a concealed carry endorsement shall not be public information and shall be considered personal protected information. Any person who violates the provisions of this subsection by disclosing protected information shall be guilty of a class A misdemeanor.

...so if he did inform my boss, it would still be illegal whether or not I waved my CCW in my boss's face or not, correct? The way I read it, the very act of him informing my boss is illegal regardless, am I right?

Last edited:

Freedom 1st

one question

Would the private contractor( or employee of) be considered an employee of the the DMN or DOR? This could be shaky ground for a civil matter. I agree they never should have released any kind of information about your possession of CCW, your choice to OC, or any your private matters in general. And I feel they should be reprimanded in some fashion. But from a legal standpoint I personally would be afraid to pursue any monetary damages unless it was on some type of contingency basis. But hey, I am in no way shape, form, or fashion an attorney. And I hope that I am wrong to worry.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
I think you should likely stop discussing it in printed form in public and PM a few folks about it and contact an atty before you send a letter.

I know your not lookin to get paid, but this workers behavior needs to be put into check, not just a "we will look into it" response and that letter coming from an atty would have a bit more impact.

DMV folks also carry guns and read forums, I would not put anymore info out here at all super.

Freedom 1st

2) Wouldn't the fact of asking my boss negate the fact of Office Worker C telling him?

For example: If I go into work tomorrow and say, "Hey Boss, did that guy from the License Office inform you that I was there to renew my CCW permit?"...wouldn't this be informing my boss that I have a CCW permit, therefore negating the fact of Office Worker C informing him as I have effectively informed him myself?

How should I go about this? My boss never mentioned it, he merely chewed on me for using my employment as authority to OC. Once I explained to my boss that I didn't need to, as the LAW is all I need to OC, that Office Worker C merely asked where I worked, and that Office Worker C was making **** up, that was the end of it......my boss told me to get out of his office and go back to work.

What is the correct procedure to follow if Office Worker C did, in fact, inform my boss? How do I find out without asking my boss and effectively informing him myself? I'm guessing, if he didn't know before, he can pretty much GUESS since Office Worker C has identified himself to my boss as a License Office Employee and made up a bunch of lies about my carrying of a firearm.

...so if he did inform my boss, it would still be illegal whether or not I waved my CCW in my boss's face or not, correct? The way I read it, the very act of him informing my boss is illegal regardless, am I right?

I hope you at least you got an apology from your boss. Your due one.

Superlite27

I'm not "seeking monetary damages". I'm seeking ethical justice. The guy not only lied in an unscrupulous manner, he purposefully used my personal information to seek out my boss, at home and concoct a story that was obviously intended to cause me, at minimum, distress.

If he did inform my boss of my license status, it was illegal, therefore should be punished according to the law, correct?

Any redress I seek will be of a punative nature. He should not get away with calling folk's bosses and trying to ruin their personal lives. Whether his attempts are effective or not is irrellevant. His attempt is just plain wrong. That's the principle. Hopefully, the DOR will administer the correct remedy: Ensuring that he is unable to do this again by removal of his ability to gain mine, and other's personal information.

If not, I'm merely considering litigation as an alternative.

Superlite27

Thanks LMTD. This is about all I'm going to share for now. I believe I've kept it vague enough. Let me know if I haven't.

Anyone else feel free to reccommend ideas.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
Your point is good and honorable.

I am not inclined to think their response will be, I in fact think they will try very hard to hide that it ever happened at all and will avoid it 100%

Not unlike poker, getting a lawyer afterward is like tipping your hand and then betting.

If they know it is coming, they can defend it, if they get the request for records to PROVE it before they know, they are far more likely to be responsive to you thoughts.

Just an opinion from a guy who has to do such things all the time.

cshoff

You might start by asking your boss, "Do you mind telling me exactly what worker C said to you?". 571.101.8, IMO, is very clear as to the "qualifiers".

If a person knowingly discloses your status as a CCW holder, he/she is in violation. Specifically, <snip from RSMO 571.101.8>.....An applicant's status as a holder of a certificate of qualification or a concealed carry endorsement shall not be public information and shall be considered personal protected information. Any person who violates the provisions of this subsection by disclosing protected information shall be guilty of a class A misdemeanor.....<snip>.

Yep. I think I would take what information you have, and whatever additional information you obtain, off-line to an attorney. No need to tip your hand to anyone via way of the internet.

Last edited:

Carnivore

Good Luck Seperlite, sounds like you have an awesome opportunity to put something in Missouris books for case law. and as a by product get joe schmucks contract revoked with the state of Missouri, obvoiusly the Employee can't be trusted or Bonded with the average citizens private information and you most likely aren't the only citizen this schmuck has violated, just the only one that found out about his underhanded ways of looking into peoples privacy.

I would definitely take this as high as it will go !

Superlite27

I have spoken with numerous attorneys over the past several hours and the general consensus is that I have an excellent case, but am unable to demonstrate a material "loss", therefore, litigation would be pointless as I would have to demonstrate received "damages" in order to be compensated for them. Had I been fired, or suffered any calcuable monetary loss, physical injury, or psycological problems (I have not sought therapy for this) I would then be able to seek damages. As I cannot point out any received injury, the likelihood of a successful litigation is almost nil.

Almost all have pointed out that this is more of a criminal case than a civil litigation case, and this would be more appropriately handled by informing his hierarchy of his improper actions.

Last edited:

Phssthpok

I have spoken with numerous attorneys over the past several hours and the general consensus is that I have an excellent case, but am unable to demonstrate a material "loss", therefore, litigation would be pointless as I would have to demonstrate received "damages" in order to be compensated for them. Had I been fired, or suffered any calcuable monetary loss, physical injury, or psycological problems (I have not sought therapy for this) I would then be able to seek damages. As I cannot point out any received injury, the likelihood of a successful litigation is almost nil.

Almost all have pointed out that this is more of a criminal case than a civil litigation case, and this would be more appropriately handled by informing his hierarchy of his improper actions.

Get a 'marker' filing of some sort in the works to prevent a statute of limitations passing. In a few months time if you receive a negative comment in a work evaluation/review/promotion hearing/whatever relating to this incident, you now have a demonstrable 'loss' (your raise/promotion/good standing at work) to pursue civilly.

Freedom 1st

That is kind of what I was afraid of. While I am not a lawyer and did not intend to imply that you would seek monitary damages. I was afraid that would be the only reason a lawyer would get involved.
But I would definately bend or twist off the superiors ear, of this person. And try to make sure it never happened to anyone else if possible.And if he could take the time to make the call to your boss about what transpired in the 1st meeting, he could damn well could make the second phone call to admit his mistake to your boss. Good luck to you.

Last edited:

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
Surprised a little however it makes some sense.

I would file a written complaint to the director of the DMV, not someone local. I would make it clear that you have strong evidence that state statues were violated because of the criminal behavior and make it clear you have every intent on requesting charges be filed and you will indeed swear out a complaint and press charges if not resolved quickly and completely to your satisfaction.

I would CC the state AG's office to alert them that your note has teeth and you are a very unhappy camper, which you should be 100% this was a deliberate violation and it needs to be dealt with harshly.

jjtroutbum

Swear out a complaint and press charges if possible. This should not require a lawyer. Personally I think this is being posted on the wring forum considering this is a CCL issue and there are many more connected legal beagles over at MOcarry.

Last edited:

Superlite27

Good to see you again jj. I kind of faded away from MOcarry as my proclivity for open carry, while not directly "bad mouthed" to my face, has resulted in harsh looks being directed down haughty noses in my direction over at MOCarry. I haven't posted there in a year or so. To show up simply when I need advice wouldn't really be appropriate IMHO. I'm not a "fair weather friend". I don't just show up when I need help.

However, if you're going to the annual picnic this fall, I'll see you there. I still consider the folks from MOCarry "friends", I just don't agree with many of "their" views.

OCDO is my home now. Glad to see you here. You're always welcome here in my view.