• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Got a question on age?

BoBothebear

Hey every one

Well I have been reading over the forum for a while now and have a question. I have looked at the laws on open carry in Colorado and it says any one over the age of 18 can legally open carry and just to clarify I am 20 right now and live in Colorado am I legally aloud to openly carry my Glock 23 with ought any trouble from local Law Enforcement?

Thanks a bunch

groovedrummer

yes you can, just no round in the chamber.

I carried and was stopped by police 4 times before I was 21...95% time they huff and puff about having to let a person under 21 walk away with a handgun, and some times they will hand it back to you Completely disassembled in a plastic bag with every round removed from your magazines and put in a separate plastic bag (it seems to be there way of saying F*** you)

some officers will be very nice but some wont, never the less you will walk away will your gun.

JUST BE POLITE, SPEAK CLEAR AND NEVER LET THERE COMMENTS AND DISAPPROVAL GET TO YOU.

Half Live

yes you can, just no round in the chamber.

I carried and was stopped by police 4 times before I was 21...95% time they huff and puff about having to let a person under 21 walk away with a handgun, and some times they will hand it back to you Completely disassembled in a plastic bag with every round removed from your magazines and put in a separate plastic bag (it seems to be there way of saying F*** you)

some officers will be very nice but some wont, never the less you will walk away will your gun.

JUST BE POLITE, SPEAK CLEAR AND NEVER LET THERE COMMENTS AND DISAPPROVAL GET TO YOU.

Where are you getting this no round in the chamber?

ZackL

Where in the law does it say that it can't have a round in the chamber? I'm going off of memory, but if I remember correctly there are no restrictions, other than state and federal laws (just like with the rest of us), that restrict someone between 18 and 20 from carrying just like anyone else and enjoying the same freedoms as a 21+ person. Again, this is just off of memory and if it says in the law that you're not allowed to I'll happily agree, but I can't remember it.

Other than that, BoBothebear, enjoy carrying and, if you're ever stopped, just remember that you're in the right and that you're merely exercising your God given rights and that just because you're exercising your 2A rights doesn't mean that your other rights go out the window (i.e. first, fourth, and fifth come immediately to mind).

Also, if you live in El Paso county, you'll likely never experience an encounter with LE unless you speed or actually commit a crime. I've passed a few cops and it freaks me out some times, but they have always just carried on about their business.

Last edited:

zach

just remember that you're in the right and that you're merely exercising your God given rights

Why do people always say that? I don't remember reading in the Bible anywhere that OC was a given right by God?

Sorry BoBo, hope this doesn't take your thread OT, but as a Christian I just don't understand people saying that it's a God given right to OC a gun?

Kingfish

Why do people always say that? I don't remember reading in the Bible anywhere that OC was a given right by God?

Sorry BoBo, hope this doesn't take your thread OT, but as a Christian I just don't understand people saying that it's a God given right to OC a gun?
Do you disagree that defending oneself is a natural right? A right of any living creature? A right authorized and encouraged by God? Didn't that Jesus dude say to carry your sword with you?

Since a firearm is currently the most effective tool for self defense and OC is the most effective way of carrying that tool then...

OC=Natural Right=God given right

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
IANAL. That being said, since Bobo cannot legally purchase a gun for himself, as long as he legally obtained it (gift), then you can open carry it in Colorado (with the exception of Denver). To my knowledge there is no law against round in the chamber for handguns in Colorado so I'm not sure what ItTakesAWolf is talking about.

Act confident, and know that you are in the right and you will be okay.

Last edited:

ZackL

To add to what Kingfish said; Both the United States Constitution and the Colorado Constitution enumerate the rights of the people that are bestowed upon them by God. This means that the rights that are listed in these documents aren't able to be taken away by government, as they are in other countries that weren't founded on a Christian belief system like ours was. If you would prefer you can read it as "exercising your inalienable rights".

Also, it is legal for BoBo to purchase a firearm through a private party. It is just in the gun store, because of federal law, that he isn't allowed to buy one. At the same time, he's also probably not going to be able to buy ammo from some places - Wal-Mart - (not sure if it's law or if it's just some company's policies to not sell to anyone under 21).

Sorry for the off topic comments in this post.

Pace

To add to what Kingfish said; Both the United States Constitution and the Colorado Constitution enumerate the rights of the people that are bestowed upon them by God. This means that the rights that are listed in these documents aren't able to be taken away by government, as they are in other countries that weren't founded on a Christian belief system like ours was. If you would prefer you can read it as "exercising your inalienable rights".

First of all bringing God into the discussion is ridiculous, I've always thought so. I am of the belief that the rights are our rights because the US Constitution says so. Period. It means any discussion that these rights are wrong, right, incorrect, bad for the public etc are invalid. For example, the arguement is made often that guns are dangerous, blah blah blah -- who cares. Rights are valid regardless.

Secondly, the Bill of Rights has NOTHING to do with God Given rights whatsoever, period. There is no mention in the Bill of Rights of God, there is no mention in the Bill of Rights whatsoever that this has anything to do Rights bestowed by God. In fact, all commentary about the Bill of Rights by the actual people who wrote it and since then clearly states one thing: That these are rights specifically to restrict a government from being, among other things tyrannical.

The Rights bestowed by God are mentioned in the Deceleration of Independence are the ability to make our own laws, our own destiny, our own decisions -- in that, making the Constitution which protects us against the government. The idea that the Bill of Rights somehow is a Christian idea is plain silly and shows ignorance -- in fact, many of the ideas in the Bill of Rights go against the 2000 year tradition of Christianity and the words of Jesus. Christianity and Judaism at its foundation does not embrace "free speech" and infact implores people to not speak badly about people, even if its true. In addressing the rights of a citizen, Jesus makes it clear that one should not always fight for "rights" but instead "Render unto Ceasar" meaning listen and follow the laws of a civil authority. The idea that this a "Christian Nation" is silly - some of the founders were Christian, some of them were just the opposite, and expressed that this was NOT a Christian Nation and made this clear(Jefferson). In fact, many of the "Christianity" that the founders did practice look nothing like the current form of Christianity in this Country, with singing and evangelical fevor. Washington would have no idea what most "born again" Christians of this century would even be talking about, and would probably consider them crazy at the least. He was a member of the Church of England, and then Episcopal.

In fact, this opinion often is my opinion -- I have a right under the Constitution. to say whatever I want, criticize whatever I want, but I find it morally and ethically wrong to say anything that might cause a person distress.

Let's stop using the argument that the right to carry a gun has anything to do with God. The law says I can, period. That's it.

Last edited:

groovedrummer

Talk about getting off topic...

So where'd this 'no round in the chamber until 21' thing come from?
(At least I assume you're talking about an 18 to 21 window of different law)

ok ok...my bad... I guess I heard the "no round in the chamber" a while ago from someone I trusted and never questioned it.

Half Live

ok ok...my bad... I guess I heard the "no round in the chamber" a while ago from someone I trusted and never questioned it.

You are probably thinking about the the no round in long guns in cars.

Colorado law prohibits a round in the chamber of long guns in cars.

CRS 33-6-125