• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Out of stater wanting to OC

xl600r.fast

Hello fellow OCers. I'm from Oregon and I open carry all the time but I'm back visiting relatives in the Prarie Du Chien area and I would like to be able to OC. I've been reading through Wisconsin state laws for a couple of days but have been unable to finda any clear answer on what my rights are. Can I open carry even though I'm not a Wisconsin resident? I went into the Prarie Du Chien Police Dept. to ask about it there (bad idea) they seemed kind of clueless and tried to put me in touch with the DNR until I clarified that I wanted to carry a handgun on my hip and they looked at me with shocked faces and said that "if you did that around here you would have like 50 cops all over your a** and people would just panic" I said thanks for the help and left. Is there anyone that can tell me where it says in Wis. state law that you have the right to carry a handgun openly? I know you can't carry in the car, school zones, etc. What about church? Private schools on private land? any help would be greatly appreciated.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
Welcome !!!

Welcome to the forum and the world of OC.

I encourage you to read this: http://www.wisconsincarry.org/legal.html

You can find a pamphlet regarding Wisconsin gun rights here: http://www.wisconsincarry.org/pdf/OCpamphletR16.pdf

I carried in PDC on Sunday just two days ago, I was in McDonalds, nobody called the police. OC is 100% legal in WI if you avoid the five restricted places (Cars, Bars, Government Buildings, State Parks, School Zones).

Car: Unloaded and in a case.
Bar: Prohibited (Any place that serves for consumption on the premises
Government Buildings: Prohibited
State Parks: Prohibited
School Zones: Prohibited (1000 ft from edge of school property unless on private property).

McDonalds, Culvers, Starbucks, WalMart, Auto Parts Store, Sporting Goods Store, Church, Bank, etc. ALL Legal UNLESS they post a sign.

LEO knows OC is legal, but they won't tell you that because they DON'T want you to exercise your rights. They may come and harass you, but nobody has ever been charged with Disorderly Conduct or Disturbing the Peace for the mere open carry of a firearm since the AG's memo April 20, 2009.

Hope this answers you questions, if not ask away, we are here to help.

Again WELCOME and Carry On!

M

McX

hmmm, Churches aren't real popular as of late, car carry is encased, unloaded. they're going to hit you with 50 cops? i'd love to see that one. we'd visit their police department with 50 protesters then, or so i have heard.

jpm84092

Hello XL600,

Your journey to WI will likely be on I-80. If you hold an Oregon CFP, you are good in Utah (since your car is an extension of your house). I am not sure about Nebraska. Iowa will be a no carry zone until 1-1-2011 (then you can carry concealed in your car if you have an OR CFP.) IL is a No Carry unless you meet federal standard (unloaded, locked in a hard case if in reach of passengers - cased if not in reach of passengers - ammo separate - ammo also locked if in reach of passengers and gun is in reach of passengers) IL is totally intolerant.

If you take the northern route, things will be different. Rather than trying to type out all possible scenarios, please see:

www.handgunlaw.us

My best wishes for your trip.

johnny amish

A few weeks ago I was in Praire Du Chien with the wife and kids, carried at Walmart, Cabelas and a firework store, did not have any problems with anybody. Actualy had a very good conversation with the owner of the fireworks store about oc, he thought it was cool, supports us 100%. Life is good in Praire. Carry on and carry proud.

xl600r.fast

hey thanks for all the help guys, I really appreciate it. I'll probably open carry some time this week. I sure wish your state was more carry friendly (especially car carry) but I'll make do with what you have. thanks a lot.

xl600r.fast

well I've OCed twice now in PDC and no problems. No 50 cops baring down on me like they said. :D Did get a few looks but that's all. thanks for the help guys.

johnny amish

I thought Cabelas was okay, just one manager that has her own beliefs?

To date that I know of we have had 4 seperate negative encounters at Cabelas, all asked the oc'er to leave. The first time this happened was over a year ago and the last time just a week ago. They claim to be oc friendly but seem to have a hard time letting the store managers know what the company policy is. As far as I am concerened they have had long enough to figure this out. I will take their proffits somewhere else.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
The City of Prairie du Chien carries some strange and very stringent anti-carry ordinances on the books, most notably a provision that says you cannot carry a firearm in a "public place" (which is defined as privately owned establishments that are open to the public) without WRITTEN permission of the owner or lessee; and another provision that prohibits carrying firearms on "any public land" which is defined as "any land owned by the State or Federal governments, the City, Crawford County, or the Prairie du Chien School District."

I chuckle to see they promulgate an ordinance covering lands owned by other governmental units: i.e., federal, state, county and school district.

In any event, I was in touch with Police Chief King last year and he told me that he and his department are aware of preemption under state law.

As far as I know, Cabelas is located outside the City of PdC, and actually located in the Town of Prairie du Chien.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
At the risk of being banned, I am going to double post this.

After contacting them through the usual channels, I waited one week, and hadn't received any contact from Cabela's. Within 24 hours of posting the encounter here, I received a call from the manager at the Cabela's in PDC. He was extremely polite and apologetic. He let me know that it is Cabela's policy to follow state law as it pertains to carry, that I can carry there, and that the two employees who approached me were incorrect.

He went on to say that there has been quite a few personnel changes at Cabela's lately because of this policy (implying they were cleaning out those who refuse to comply with the policy). As Nik stated, Cabela's is a larger organization and it will take them a little while to clean out the weeds. Now that I am aware of the policy, and the internal issues they are working to correct, I WILL CONTINUE to do business with them because they are working to correct the problems when they arise.

Lastly, they did offer me a nice discount off a new handgun, so if you all have any advice about a new carry gun, from Cabela's, PM me.