• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Heading to Ohio

Jblack44

So in doing my research, it looks like the only place that I will be able to defend myself in your state will be in the car on the drive down to Toledo (valid Michigan CPL) then in the hotel room that I'm staying in. Going to the Mudhens game ( Criminal Empowerment Zone), the the Toledo Zoo (another CEZ) an any resturant that serves Alcohol.(CEZ as well)
Boy, they make it tough on LAC's to even carry!!!

trooper46

It's not exactly a gun owners wet dream...(unlike just across the river down south)..but there are places that have it much worse off than Ohio. There's some legislation sitting in the state house that hopefully will be passed by Nov when those lazy bastards get back in session that will make any future trips MUCH more accommodating for any carrier.

Just be careful and hopefully on your next trip things we'll be a little easier.

Have a fun and safe trip.

Jblack44

Thanks Trooper...I know Michigan likes it's PFZ's as well. But we can at least OC in the majority of them with a CPL. Here's to one day actually being a free society!

Kloutier

I am going to ohio soon and after looking into the laws I decided that I would not arm my self. Since I am an Utah OCer (oc wet dream ;) and do not have a CFP. I would hate to have to unload my mags and reload them when ever I was leaving my car.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
If Ohio could either get new law passed to allow for open carry in places serving alcohol, or (preferably) use the existing understanding that the Ohio constitution protects unlicensed open carry and get a Ohio Supreme Court decision that declares the restriction on open carry in places serving alcohol and unlicensed open carry in vehicles unconstitutional, then there is no reason why Ohio laws wouldn't be considered as good as or better than in the vast majority of the states. Restrictions on carry in publicly owned buildings appear to apply only to concealed carry as is, except for schools, courthouses, jails, and mental institutions.

Successful challenges to the constitutionality to the few restrictions on unlicensed open carry and a successful defense of the limitation of firearm laws at the state level would make Ohio one of the free-est states in the union regarding openly carried firearms.