• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Tennessee Attorney General opinion 03-165 December 23, 2003 now obsolete?

HvyMtl

Ok. He went with the intent to provoke. He went armed, and to protect himself, painted the tip of his Draco AK-47 pistol, orange, and wanted body armor. In a separate event: He then went carrying a pistol in hand to provoke a change in the law.

He did not consider his provocation might have led to shots fired, and an innocent bystander getting hurt.

More like this: You would not pull your firearm and shoot without looking to make sure you are going to hit the target, and not some innocent? There is responsibility there, right?

Point is this: Going out and carrying there is a responsibility of the carrier to ensure the safety of others. He did not meet his responsibility, because he put others, through his provocation, in harm's way. This responsibility should have, at the very least, been thought of.

"I am open carrying an unholstered, strapped across my chest, Draco AK-47 Pistol, which looks near exactly like, unless looked at closely, an illegal folding stock AK-47 rifle, in a park where the uninformed general public will be, to test a just passed right to carry law, and I will carry a recorder, so I can get the response of the Wildlife Resource Agents reaction on tape, so I can sue."
Problem is this thought did not enter the planning: "Hmm. Maybe I should take into consideration the Agents may react, or even overreact, in a wrong way, so I may need to ensure the general public is not down barrel..."

"I am going to buy and carry a reproduction 1860's pistol, with its safety limitations, in hand at dusk in Belle Meade to force a change it their antiquated carry laws."
Problem with planning: "Hmm, perhaps the BMPD may react poorly, overreact, or simply not know how to handle a black powder pistol, exposing the general public to the barrel sweep of a loaded firearm..."

Responsibility. It is MY responsibility when I carry to ensure the firearm does not go needlessly off, does not get in the hands of a bad guy, and that if confronted, by law enforcement, or by criminal, my actions do not overexpose the innocent bystander.

If, I have to shoot, I **** well better make sure those bullets land in the bad guy, and not in some innocent bystander, or I get to go to jail... and get sued for more money than I have, will have, or ever had.

Here Kwik overexposed the innocent bystanders. And, ironically, himself, by not thinking it through.

That simple. Had the Agent with the shotgun tripped, and an innocent bystander got shot, Kwik would have been on the hook. Possibly criminally, but definitely civilly.

And that is the issue I have. Not that he did it lawfully, or not. Not that he was well within his rights or not. I have issue with the lack of safety he took. He should have protected the innocent and himself better.

Perhaps he will add the additional thought of, "what happens if..." before the next time he provokes the PD.

Now, what was the topic again? Oh yeah, AG's opinion is not enforced, but is merely advice on how to follow certain laws, and court decisions, to prevent his office, and / or the legislature from mis-enforcement or creating bad law...

Since there is new Court rulings from the SCOTUS, obviously, this opinion may not be fully effective. But, in 2003, it may have been an effective opinion.

Last edited:

kwikrnu

Banned
You're showing your anti-gun tendancies again. It is my responsibility to know the law and obey the law. The cops broke the law twice. I have never pointed my weapon at anytime at anyone, ever. However, the cops did, and they detained me in an illegal fashion. Those who did the threatening and put a law abiding citizen in danger were the ones with badges.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
popcorn.gif

kwikrnu

Banned
Here Kwik overexposed the innocent bystanders. And, ironically, himself, by not thinking it through.

That simple. Had the Agent with the shotgun tripped, and an innocent bystander got shot, Kwik would have been on the hook. Possibly criminally, but definitely civilly.

:lol:
Headline: Agent illegally assaults, and detains lawful open carrier exercising a fundamental civil right, but Open carrier goes to jail because the JBT trips and shoots someone.

Last edited:

HvyMtl

No Kwik, the headline would have been: "Gun Nut provokes Police, gets innocent shot." But, hey not like the Tennessean is pro-gun or anything.

Then followed by the cops trying to force a criminal charge on you, you getting to go to jail, and then wait for trial to clear your name.
Plus, you getting to lose your nice Mustang, home, and orange painted Drako because the innocent bystander's family sues your pants off, and wins.

Sad thing is, if this tragic event did occur, I guarantee the politicians would have been looking to revoke park carry...

But what do I know? Probably not much, considering my past job was to prevent liability lawsuits... Killed a $1 million dollar suit, too...

But hey, I bet you would go in pro se, so you save the money for not paying a professional to represent you...

Last edited:

kwikrnu

Banned
No Kwik, the headline would have been: "Gun Nut provokes Police, gets innocent shot." But, hey not like the Tennessean is pro-gun or anything.

Then followed by the cops trying to force a criminal charge on you, you getting to go to jail, and then wait for trial to clear your name.
Plus, you getting to lose your nice Mustang, home, and orange painted Drako because the innocent bystander's family sues your pants off, and wins.

Sad thing is, if this tragic event did occur, I guarantee the politicians would have been looking to revoke park carry...

But what do I know? Probably not much, considering my past job was to prevent liability lawsuits... Killed a $1 million dollar suit, too...

But hey, I bet you would go in pro se, so you save the money for not paying a professional to represent you...

I would represent myself. :)