• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Western Idaho Fair

IndianaBoy79

We went last year, got stopped at the gate but we had the head of security on speed dial. He was aware we were coming and agrees that our preemption law covers the fair grounds during a government sponsored event. Here is a quick copy of our correspondence. Print it and bring it with you if you need to. For the record, it was further resolved that you don't need to "sign in" on a list or report to anyone.

I did write a letter to Idaho Expo the other day.

Dear Sir or Ma'am,

I am writing today to inquire as to what your policy is on the legal carry of firearms while attending the fair or other events held at the fairgrounds. According to Senate Bill NO. 1441, which passed and became law in March of this year, it is against the law for "any county, city, agency, board or any other political subdivision of this state to adopt or enforce any law, rule, regulation, or ordinance which regulates in any manner the sale, acquisition, transfer, ownership, possession, transportation, carrying or storage of firearms or any element relating to firearms and components thereof, including ammunition." Further information on this bill can be obtained at http://www3.state.id.us/oasis/S1441.html.

As a subdivision of Ada County, do you intend to comply with this law and allow law abiding citizens to carry firearms for self-defense? I ask because I plan to attend the fair tomorrow night and want to avoid any confusion at the front gate. Thank you in advance for your understanding and timely response.

Sincerely,

RESPONSE

I am delivering your message to our security chief and he will get back to you today. However, you did not leave your phone number, which he will need. Thank you,

Lori Cox, Marketing & Development
Expo Idaho
p) 208.287.5650
Thanks a million to our 2008 Western Idaho Fair sponsors!

AND THE SECOND RESPONSE

Dear Mr. *****,

Expo Idaho and Western Idaho Fair has always and will continue to respect the carrying of weapons as allocated by Senate Bill 1441 and the carrying of concealed weapons. Please advise Security Staff at your entrance gate that you are armed. Thank you.

Most Sincerely,
Patrick Calley 208.860.4071