Thread: Moving to Charlotte?

Moving to Charlotte?

I live in the State of Michigan and I open carry (18 too young for concealed). I am considering moving to Charlotte but I refuse to move anywhere where I can't carry my gun or that has ridiculous open carry laws. Could some people on here please explain to me the open carry laws in this state?

You might want to check this out: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...Carolina-Flyer

Doesn't look like a good state to open carry. Maybe when I'm 21 I might consider it but any state that allows cities to have ordinances on firearms I will not live or carry in.

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
    Quote Originally Posted by xmanhockey7 View Post
    Doesn't look like a good state to open carry. Maybe when I'm 21 I might consider it but any state that allows cities to have ordinances on firearms I will not live or carry in.
    Durham & Cary are the only places I know of that are out of step with the rest of the state. You should be ok in Charlotte.

The list of states that are more OC-friendly than NC is a very short one, IMO.

I just don't like the fact that cities can set the gun laws. And the way the law was written for those cities if all cities were like that it'd be hard to open carry. Arizona seems to be pretty open carry friendly I might look into theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruger View Post
    Durham & Cary are the only places I know of that are out of step with the rest of the state. You should be ok in Charlotte.

and Chapel Hill.

Chapel Hill too, eh? I did not know that. What is the crazy out-of-step law/ordnance there?
    Carry on!

Chapel Hill, per the NC Gun Rights flyer:

2. No person shall display, on any street, sidewalk, alley or other
    public property any handgun which is easily and ordinarily
    carried concealed. For purposes of this article, the term
    "handgun which is easily and ordinarily carried concealed" shall
    mean any handgun or other firearm with an overall length of
    less than six (6) inches. (City Ordinance Sec 11-134)
    A few more instances can be found at http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ublic-Property.

We SERIOUSLY need to get total preemption.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruger View Post

Considering that CARY is an acronym for "Containment Area for Relocated Yankees" according to the National Geographic I would imagine that they are out of step with the rest of NC.

For the Chapel Hill regulations on concealed weapons would Kwik's AK be legal to OC? Durham is out of step with the rest of the world except maybe DC.

Quote Originally Posted by PT111 View Post
    Considering that CARY is an acronym for "Containment Area for Relocated Yankees" according to the National Geographic I would imagine that they are out of step with the rest of NC.

For the Chapel Hill regulations on concealed weapons would Kwik's AK be legal to OC? Durham is out of step with the rest of the world except maybe DC.
    Haha, maybe we should ask kwik if he wants to test the Chapel Hill law?

Oh, and I'd throw Chicago in there with DC and Durham.

So apparently I would still be OK to OC my 1911 in Chapel Hill - even if it does piss off the yuppies. The barrel is 5" on its own, and the overall length of the gun exceeds 6".
    Last edited by Ruger; 08-21-2010 at 12:08 PM. Reason: sp
    Carry on!

Yeah, guns most people OC usually meet the requirements. Any smaller and they're usually concealed.