• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Does carry impact your voting?

HvyMtl

Since we are full on in the throws of an election, does the carry impact who you vote for? How does it?

Does it push you towards those politicians who claim to be pro-carry, or do you research to find one who acts pro-carry?

utbob2004

I look at all the issues when selecting someone for office, not just one particular issue. I would like to think that there would be a politician who would stand up and say "the second amendment to me is a none issue. It plainly states that it is a right to keep and bear arms, so I will not support any legislation to restrict the practice of this right." But that would be the perfect world wouldn't it?

I personally think that the state legislators from one's district are the most important officials to elect that you must have common values with. Besides your city council, they will have the most impact on your day to day life than lets say the Governor would. I don't know who to vote for in the governor's race because neither one of them are the candidate I wanted!

HvyMtl

utbob2004, you hit it out of the park.

I, too, am tired of the one trick (one topic) ponies being in politics.

"I personally think that the state legislators from one's district are the most important officials to elect that you must have common values with." +100

"I don't know who to vote for in the governor's race because neither one of them are the candidate I wanted!" AGREED.

The Governor's race is basically this: Billionaire Oil Man vs. Millionaire Beer Man.

BOM is "republican" mayor of Knoxville, who was an active member in Mayors Against Illegal Guns (the NYC Mayor Bloomberg outfit which came to our guns shows and blamed them for the violence in NYC.) Blocked permit carry in his city's parks. His oil company was charged and fined by the state for price gouging during the last oil shortage, while he was c.e.o.

MBM is an unknown "democrat." Supported by Bredesen, MBM has upheld his stance on blocking guns in restaurants where alcohol is served. Running on his father's name and has zero political experience (hmm, is that a plus or negative?)

So, we got two candidates who are not pro-carry. Great. Fortunately, the legislature is pro-carry.

So, this said, was it a topic which you considered?

Last edited:

tnhawk

Both candidates are against our gun rights, so this issue isn't a factor. I don't see much difference in them. TN loses, whichever one wins the election.

HvyMtl

I do see, and sadly, agree with your point there, tnhawk. However, there are more elections than just the Governor.

And since both of them are anti-carry, anti-gun, did it impact your vote on Legislature, or Congressional candidates?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Carry never affects my vote. I can touch the screen or pull the lever with either hand when my gun is holstered. :)

kwikrnu

Banned
I voted in the Republican primary for the only gubernatorial candidate who understands and supports the Second Amendment, Basil Marceaux. There were only 6 of us who voted for him in my precinct, so not too in my area who vote based upon gun rights.

Grassroots

I voted in the Republican primary for the only gubernatorial candidate who understands and supports the Second Amendment, Basil Marceaux. There were only 6 of us who voted for him in my precinct, so not too in my area who vote based upon gun rights.

You voted for someone who wants to turn pastures into fuel and speaks on a third grade level. Wonderful. Fail.

HvyMtl

Ok. Civility. OK?

Let us not have the uncivilized B.S. from other threads pop up in this one, ok?

Basil Marceaux is an interesting character of Tennessee Politics. I appreciate his service to our Country.

I, for one, am a believer in the idea one must sometimes vote for a person you know won't win, in the hopes it may change the party in the future...

Usagi

I voted for the person with a HCP in every instance... Ramsey (for Gov.) and Beavers for state Senate.

In the general election, I am voting for Brandon Dodds for Governor. He has a HCP and ideas to make TN better - unlike the Billionaire Oil Man and the Millionaire Beer Man.

macville

I voted for the person with a HCP in every instance... Ramsey (for Gov.) and Beavers for state Senate.

In the general election, I am voting for Brandon Dodds for Governor. He has a HCP and ideas to make TN better - unlike the Billionaire Oil Man and the Millionaire Beer Man.

Is he an independent? I haven't heard of him in East TN.

aadvark

It does if there are those 39-17-1359 Signs out front, and that REALLY gets my attention!

Just kidding..., I do not live in Tennessee.