• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

PC 626.9 loophole?

JUMPOFFBRIDGE89

(a) This section shall be known, and may be cited, as the
Gun-Free School Zone Act of 1995.
(b) Any person who possesses a firearm in a place that the person
knows, or reasonably should know, is a school zone, as defined in
paragraph (1) of subdivision (e), unless it is with the written
permission of the school district superintendent, his or her
designee, or equivalent school authority, shall be punished as
specified in subdivision (f).

Now here is my question. If you get written permission from the district superintendent of the school district where you go through regularly you can carry within 1000' of a school legally? Do you just keep the written permission with you and show it to the stopping LEO?

Gundude

It's no secret where I live. I invited everyone to a BBQ here right after incorporation.
Alpine, Ca

It's a nice quiet little town east of El Cajon. We only had 3 murders in the 10 yrs that I lived here. One guy killed his grandma cuz she wouldn't give him money for drugs. Happened about 200 yds from where I live.

Gundude

wow that sucks the superintendent sent it to the sheriff. What did the sherriff say?

First he asked what I was talking about. I directed him to that part of the penal code. Just chatted about why I wanted to carry, and he said that no answer from the school super would mean NO. He didn't seem to have any problem with OC'ing. He didn't warn me or any such thing. He ducked my question about how his deputies handled (e) checks. I even told him where I live. NO FEAR, HERE. I though about asking him over for coffee, but decided not to.

JUMPOFFBRIDGE89

I sent an email to my local police about me starting to open carry. He was very nice in his response. Now lets hope the super is nice and grants me written permission.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
I sent an email to my local police about me starting to open carry. He was very nice in his response. Now lets hope the super is nice and grants me written permission.

The superintendent of the school district or his designee has to grant permission. The sheriff cannot unless the superintendent has made the sheriff his designee.

You can see my adventures in obtaining a 626.9 exception here: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?65207-Requesting-626.9-exemption-in-San-Francisco

To my knowledge, only two other board members have asked for an exemption, neither were granted. One was for a private school (I believe) which actually shares a property line with a gun store.

JUMPOFFBRIDGE89

I just meant I told the LEO agency I was going to be open carrying. No info given besides my email. Not asking for a GFSZ exemption from the police. I know I have to get that from the super. I just asked the LEO if they new about open carrying and gave them info on it. Guy was nice and said he would pass the info along to other sergeants.