Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shirts tucked in?

Shirts tucked in?

Hey guys just wondering if you guys tuck your shirts in when you OC? Ive always thought it would be better to tuck the shirt in and have on the couple times I've OC'd but my usual dress is tshirts with print that would look ridiculous if I tucked them in and as hot as its been here lately its nice to get the breeze in! Sorry if if this has been answered before but I couldn't find anything when I searched.

depends

I'm big&tall and some shirts wont stay tucked. As a rule, if they are long enough I tuck.
    illegal ≠ immoral legal ≠ moral
    [SIZE=1]"I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself. "Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent." - Thomas Jefferson
    G19 Gen 4; Bersa Thunder 380; Sig Sauer P238; Kel-Tec su-16c

I generally don't like tucking shirts in at all, as I have a fairly high waistband, and it would make me look more dorky then I already am

So no tuck for me
    Taurus PT1911 .45 ACP. Carried in condition 1, with a total of 25 rounds.

Vice President of Students for Concealed Carry on Campus, ECU Chapter

I tuck in most "button down" shirts, which I have a lot of in my wardrobe.

Hawaiian shirts are always worn untucked though, but tucked behind the grip.

T-shirts--depends on where I am and what I'm doing. If I'm doing something "casual", it's untucked. But i it's a more "stylish" t-shirt, I sometimes tuck them in...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

I tuck my shirt in. A SERPA paddle holster is rather uncomfortable on bare skin, especially in the humid Virginia summer.

I usually tuck... regardless of shirt type. Though, the shirt type is usually decided upon based on how I plan to carry. Most of my wardrobe is selected for CC, and most of my shirts are long enough that they would negate any open carry plans. So it is usually a T, occasionally some style of polo or button up.

The right T-shirt looks great tucked in... or with a suit.

You just have to own it to rock it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cox View Post
    Hey guys just wondering if you guys tuck your shirts in when you OC? Ive always thought it would be better to tuck the shirt in and have on the couple times I've OC'd but my usual dress is tshirts with print that would look ridiculous if I tucked them in and as hot as its been here lately its nice to get the breeze in! Sorry if if this has been answered before but I couldn't find anything when I searched.

I'd like to think this is a personal preference primarily, but there can always be a legal issue involved if you're not cautious when untucked.

Personal preference: If I'm wearing an all leather belt loop holster I'm less inclined to tuck my shirt and just stuff it behind the pistol. If I'm wearing a kydex paddle I definitely tuck because that kydex can rub pretty badly...but the draw back can be that it allows the kydex to slide on my shirt a bit so it can move around just a little.

Legal issue: Should your shirt somehow become dislodged from behind the pistol while untucked and wind up covering your pistol you would then likely be in violation of your particular State's concealed carry law (not all States are the same, so read your law). Though there's no intent, you could still be in violation and get called out by a LEO for it.

And most of us know all too well that someone who isn't comfortable with any sort of carry would wind up being the caller and provide LEOs with misinformation like: I'm in Joe Henry's Hardware store and a man came in with a gun on his belt and has now hidden it with his shirt. I'm scared he's going to start shooting or rob the place.

We all should be aware of what would promptly follow that kind of call.

I'm glad you started this thread because I was wondering how others done it across the US.

I generally tuck my shirt behind my gun & only tuck in my shirts on occaision.

Banned
    Regardless of how/if I am carrying, I generally tuck unless I am in a setting that calls for untucked (at a picnic, at the beach). IMO, dressing neatly is a sign of respect for those around you. (I know a lot of you would have a different opinion. I am just sharing mine.)

If I am carrying on my belt, I always tuck.

I never tuck. Even when I had to, I went untucked more than tucked. I can't stand a tucked in shirt.

But I can't OC in Texas. If I could, I'd just tuck the shirt behind the gun or wear a leg holster.

While tucking your shirt in while OC'ing does look more professional, I don't. I'm not out to dress to everyone's liking. I wear mostly polo's anyways and they look professional enough without having them tucked in.

Do whatever is comfortable to you I say.
    "What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." -Thomas Jefferson

I don't see the need to try and "look professional" in everything you do. I only wear jeans, boots and a t-shirt. I wear polos at work, only because I have to.

Maybe try...

Quote Originally Posted by ODA 226 View Post
    I tuck my shirt in. A SERPA paddle holster is rather uncomfortable on bare skin, especially in the humid Virginia summer.
    ...some underwear. haha.
    illegal ≠ immoral legal ≠ moral
    [SIZE=1]"I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself. "Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent." - Thomas Jefferson
    G19 Gen 4; Bersa Thunder 380; Sig Sauer P238; Kel-Tec su-16c

Tucked in, 80+ percent of the time. Only time it's not tucked is when it's too short (like many tshirts, or if I'm being particularly active and the shirt won't reliably stay tucked in.

Quote Originally Posted by simmonsjoe View Post
    ...some underwear. haha.
    None of us SF guys wear underwear Joe!

I'm not 50 so my shirts stay untucked unless working or wearing less than casual dress.

No offense to you T-shirt tuckers out there....just not my style.
    Last edited by Big Boy; 08-13-2010 at 12:03 AM.

tucking in tshirts is a huge no no. Tshirts are casual wear, tucking in is something you do with more formal wear. But I suppose some of you guys wear brown shoes with black shirts also. Maybe even a black belt with brown shoes.

Doesn't matter what I'm wearing, I always tuck in my shirt if I'm OCing....

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cox View Post
    One just has to master the "Virginia Tuck." It was an avant-garde style statement pioneered by discriminating gentlemen OCers, and some trend-setting lady OCers.

It was invented to comply with the archaic anti-rights provision of Virginia's Code that prohibited carrying a concealed firearm in a restaurant that served alcohol.

Carriers just pulled up the hemm of the shirt or jacket on the strong side and tucked just that much behind the gun to "un-conceal" it when entering the restaurant. (Curiously, the Code prohibited only bring the concealed gun onto the premises. It did not prohibit concealing it after it was on the premises. But, freedom-loving carriers being knowledgeable in the ways of anti-rights government usurpers were too wise to give the government the opportunity to twist the law.)

The usual necessity for the VA Tuck died this year when the law was amended to allow bringing a concealed handgun into alcohol-serving restaurants. However, we Virginians are always willing to share great ideas, especially in fashion.

So, Virginia Tuck and Carry On.

Just don't ask Grapeshot for fashion tips.

Citizen,

for a while it was like that in vehicles for CHL holders here in Ohio & it got the nickname Buckeye Tuck. Which is what I do a lot.

Banned
    How 'bout the Alabama Tuck: Your shirt hangs over your gun, but it is tucked behind your big, gaudy buckle so everyone can see it. Those who use it count on the blinding flash of the buckle buying them time while they fumble for their gun.

Regular Member Son_of_Perdition's Avatar
    My personal code of fashion dictates if I tuck or not tuck. All T shirts are un-tucked. Button up or collar ***** are tucked regardless of the artillery I may be packing.

I tuck in any shirt I am wearing and always have so this is not even an issue for me. Nothing changed when I started carrying; my shirts are still always tucked in.
    If you do not test yourself every single day,
    then it is just another wasted day.
    --Semper Fi--

Quote Originally Posted by MatieA View Post
    I tuck in any shirt I am wearing and always have so this is not even an issue for me. Nothing changed when I started carrying; my shirts are still always tucked in.
    Same here.
    President/ Founding Member
    Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League
    www.laopencarry.org

I use a CQC blackhawk holster with my glock 22 at my side and I never suck in my t shirt. When I first open carried I would look down all the time to make sure it wouldn't cover the gun but now I'm not worried. It has not once ended up coming over the gun because of how high it sits on my hip.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast