• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shirts tucked in?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Hey guys just wondering if you guys tuck your shirts in when you OC? Ive always thought it would be better to tuck the shirt in and have on the couple times I've OC'd but my usual dress is tshirts with print that would look ridiculous if I tucked them in and as hot as its been here lately its nice to get the breeze in! Sorry if if this has been answered before but I couldn't find anything when I searched.

One just has to master the "Virginia Tuck." It was an avant-garde style statement pioneered by discriminating gentlemen OCers, and some trend-setting lady OCers.

It was invented to comply with the archaic anti-rights provision of Virginia's Code that prohibited carrying a concealed firearm in a restaurant that served alcohol.

Carriers just pulled up the hemm of the shirt or jacket on the strong side and tucked just that much behind the gun to "un-conceal" it when entering the restaurant. (Curiously, the Code prohibited only bring the concealed gun onto the premises. It did not prohibit concealing it after it was on the premises. But, freedom-loving carriers being knowledgeable in the ways of anti-rights government usurpers were too wise to give the government the opportunity to twist the law.)

The usual necessity for the VA Tuck died this year when the law was amended to allow bringing a concealed handgun into alcohol-serving restaurants. However, we Virginians are always willing to share great ideas, especially in fashion.

So, Virginia Tuck and Carry On.

Just don't ask Grapeshot for fashion tips. :D

rottman43055

Citizen,

for a while it was like that in vehicles for CHL holders here in Ohio & it got the nickname Buckeye Tuck. Which is what I do a lot.

eye95

How 'bout the Alabama Tuck: Your shirt hangs over your gun, but it is tucked behind your big, gaudy buckle so everyone can see it. Those who use it count on the blinding flash of the buckle buying them time while they fumble for their gun. :D

Son_of_Perdition

My personal code of fashion dictates if I tuck or not tuck. All T shirts are un-tucked. Button up or collar shits are tucked regardless of the artillery I may be packing.

MatieA

I tuck in any shirt I am wearing and always have so this is not even an issue for me. Nothing changed when I started carrying; my shirts are still always tucked in.

xmanhockey7

I use a CQC blackhawk holster with my glock 22 at my side and I never suck in my t shirt. When I first open carried I would look down all the time to make sure it wouldn't cover the gun but now I'm not worried. It has not once ended up coming over the gun because of how high it sits on my hip.

Deanimator

I LOATHE untucked shirts. I used to use Don Hume 715Ms. You can tuck them, but they're not designed for it and look messy.

I've started making my own tuckable IWBs, and will eventually replace the Don Humes with them.

Front.jpg

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
It all depends on the shirt... and the temperature. If it's a button down it stays tucked. I also tuck most T-shirts unless it gets too hot. Then I untuck so I can get some air circulation. In other words, I do whatever is most comfortable and still fits the circumstances at the time.

heresyourdipstickjimmy

While tucking your shirt in while OC'ing does look more professional, I don't. I'm not out to dress to everyone's liking. I wear mostly polo's anyways and they look professional enough without having them tucked in.

Do whatever is comfortable to you I say.

Excellent point here. This can be part of the difference between having an unwanted LEO contact and not having one at all.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
Yes, it does look more professional. However, I'm not trying to give the impression that I'm on the job... I don't need to look like a detective. Carrying a firearm isn't about being a wannabe cop.

Tucking in one's shirt doesn't make one more credible. It only furthers the myth that 'only ones' are the only ones who carry. Just MNSHO.

I've never met anyone who 'looked professional' and actually was... Why do I want to look like that?