• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

So I am Visiting by the End of the Year

ZackL

And I was wondering if there was anywhere in/around Seattle that is particularly anti-gun or that is known for LEO harassment. Also, where is the fastest LEA for out of state CPL's? I remember talking to some of you previously and getting information on some of this before, but the trips got canceled and I am just now able to take the trip. I am hoping to be able to carry as I am used to here in Colorado (round in chamber everywhere except federally restricted) if I can get my Washington CPL while I'm there. Thank you guys in advance.

Also, just a little confused on one thing, I know that training is required for a CPL in most other states, is this not required in Washington?

.45ACPaddy

No training required. I've heard kitsap county sheriff is fast.

Can't have it loaded in a vehicle unless you have a CPL. This means either a round in the chamber, a charged mag in the gun, or both. Outside of the car you can open carry loaded to your heart's content. Just can't go in bars or federally restricted areas.

END_THE_FED

and just to clarify you are ok in restaurants that serve alcohol you just cant go into the area that is 21+ there should be a sign from the WA liquor Control Board stating that the area is 21+ and that no firearms are allowed. If you don't see a sign and are not sure if it is a "bar" or not, I would not recommend asking if guns are ok. Just ask something like "I think I would like to bring my cousin here sometime are 18 yearolds allowed here or is it 21+"

j2l3

Here is info on the Kitsap County Sheriff and CPL issuance locations. Silverdale is the office most people talk about for fast issue. Cost is $55.25 regardless of where you go. Has to be applied for in person.

Fingerprint/CPL Hours</B>
Office Hours​

Main Office: Port Orchard
614 Division St, MS-37
Port Orchard WA 98366
(360) 337-7101 (360) 337-7101
9:00 am- 4:30 pm​

Silverdale Office
3951 Randall Way NW
Silverdale WA 98383
(360) 337-7101 (360) 337-7101
9:00 am- 12:00 pm
1:00 pm- 4:30 pm​

Kingston Office
26076 Illinois Ave NE
Kingston WA 98346
(360) 297-3575 (360) 297-3575
Office Hours: Tuesday/Thursdays
9:00 am - 12:00 pm
1:00 pm - 4:30 pm​

Last edited:

Bill Starks

State Researcher
If you have all this time before you arrive, why not take the class for a Utah permit? Its good for Washington and quite a few other states, although a bit more expensive.

Leatherneck

Can't have it loaded in a vehicle unless you have a CPL. This means either a round in the chamber, a charged mag in the gun, or both. Outside of the car you can open carry loaded to your heart's content. Just can't go in bars or federally restricted areas.

Or on school premises unless picking up/dropping off children.
So no "shooting hoops" with a side arm.

Des Moines PD is pretty fast too, as long as you've got a clean history. I was in and out of there in about an hour, permit in hand.

ZackL

Well, if I can, I'm going to get my non-resident Florida permit which is valid. Unfortunately, the classes here are still full until the end of September. I'm going to try to seek out a private instructor, but as it stands I may not be able to get my concealed licenses before I head out to Seattle (I'm hoping to be in town by at least Halloween).

No school carry, does that include colleges? That's the only school I would carry at.

Do you think that the res and non-res permit wait times would be about the same? I have a misdemeanor on my record (public intoxication).

Thanks for all the great info guys, I'm really looking forward to habituating my friend to guns and hope to be able to take her to a shooting range that rents out guns.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Well, if I can, I'm going to get my non-resident Florida permit which is valid. Unfortunately, the classes here are still full until the end of September. I'm going to try to seek out a private instructor, but as it stands I may not be able to get my concealed licenses before I head out to Seattle (I'm hoping to be in town by at least Halloween).

No school carry, does that include colleges? That's the only school I would carry at.

Do you think that the res and non-res permit wait times would be about the same? I have a misdemeanor on my record (public intoxication).

Thanks for all the great info guys, I'm really looking forward to habituating my friend to guns and hope to be able to take her to a shooting range that rents out guns.

There is no 'law' (RCW) that forbids carry on a college campus. However, most have a 'code of conduct' that prevents carry. Therefore, you carry concealed on campus unless you are willing to be asked to leave or expelled from school.

END_THE_FED

Your misdemeanor shouldn't be a problem at all. Its pretty much only felonies and domestic violence that will disqualify you.

As far as res vs. non-res wait times goes. Generally speaking a nonresident is actually better off because they can find the department with the reputation for the fastest issue time and go there. Whereas a resident can only apply at the city or county they live in.
However if I remember correctly the state technically allows a longer max wait time for non residents then for residents.

boosteddreams

I applied for my WA CPL while living in California. It came in the mail three weeks after I applied for it, and I went to the Thurston County SO in Olympia.