Thread: Do you think that this is just too crazy an idea?

Do you think that this is just too crazy an idea?

Over on the ArmBritain forum, I proposed the idea that a Brit should seek asylum in the US. The claim would be that he is being persecuted politically, owing to the State denying him the right to effective defence of his person ... and forcing him to rely upon the State's machinery for his personal protection.

Now, recent admissions by the UK Police, have revealed that there is only one policeman on the streets for every 18,000 citizens. Clearly, the State cannot hope to safeguard the lives of the people.

Such an asylum claim might have the effect of raising the profile of "liberty" in the UK ... irrespective of whether the claim succeeds, or not.

What do you think? Would this idea have any legs?

It seems to me that we Libertarians need to become a little more aggressive in our demands.

Its worth a shot I guess, but you certainly won't get any sympathy from my countries current administration. You'd be better off saying they infringed on your right to smoke a joint or didn't guarantee you a good enough job.

Well, I've spoken to a number of people about this. No-one really seems to know whether it would work; even lawyers don't really know.

So, I guess I'll have to find some other avenue. To have such a scheme fail would do more harm than good, I think.

Still, I'm open to good ideas.

If you have over a bunch of money to invest in a business over here there is an application that would move you to the front of the line. but its maybe 500k or 10 jobs or something like that. If you are young enough joining our armed services is a way to get in after serving a term.

+1, I think the US Army is recruiting up to 42 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by Daylen View Post
    If you are young enough joining our armed services is a way to get in after serving a term.
    Last edited by DCKilla; 09-15-2010 at 05:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by David Turner View Post
    Now, recent admissions by the UK Police, have revealed that there is only one policeman on the streets for every 18,000 citizens.
    UK Gov't: "Oh, tosh, it's all well in hand! Stiff upper lip, and all..."

Clearly, the State cannot hope to safeguard the lives of the people.
    Not with those ratios, no.

Such an asylum claim might have the effect of raising the profile of "liberty" in the UK ... irrespective of whether the claim succeeds, or not.

I don't know. You might try the military service angle. I'm sure our government would love the press!

It seems to me that we Libertarians need to become a little more aggressive in our demands.
    I'd use the word "insistant," but yes.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

FWIW, I have been told that the military will not sign you up unless you have a green card. I tried to get my step daughter enlisted and that is what we came up against.

Quote Originally Posted by SFCRetired View Post
    FWIW, I have been told that the military will not sign you up unless you have a green card. I tried to get my step daughter enlisted and that is what we came up against.
    Hmmm. At one point you could enlist overseas at an embassy. I don't know if that's changed.

Quote Originally Posted by David Turner View Post
    Over on the ArmBritain forum, I proposed the idea that a Brit should seek asylum in the US. The claim would be that he is being persecuted politically, owing to the State denying him the right to effective defence of his person ... and forcing him to rely upon the State's machinery for his personal protection.

Now, recent admissions by the UK Police, have revealed that there is only one policeman on the streets for every 18,000 citizens. Clearly, the State cannot hope to safeguard the lives of the people.

Why seek asylum--why not just emigrate? You might gain political asylum in the US by using this claim--I mean the UK did allow two high profile Russians asylum--so maybe the US would provide asylum to British citizens on the claim that the United Kingdom prohibits personal defense of self while forcing you to depend completely upon your ineffective government. I mean the UK was rated the most violent country in all of Europe for 2009--even more violent than the US....

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    I mean the UK was rated the most violent country in all of Europe for 2009--even more violent than the US....
    That's what happens to a country when they disarm the general populace.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.