• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Coalition of Connecticut Sportsman and their Legal Defense Fund Support????????

Edward Peruta

Where is the current financial support for the cases being litigated in 2010?

What has this fund contributed to the recent or current civil cases in Connecticut? The Bailey case was decided 15 years ago!

Connecticut Sportsman should pay attention to the Addie Nesbit appeal that is currently in the State Appellate Court and support the cases being made against the way "AT RISK" warrants are applied for and served on owners of firearms.

CCS Legal Defense Fund

The CCS Legal Defense Fund has been a contributor to or originator of several court cases. Most significant was our support of Benjamin v. Bailey, in the sportsmen's attempt to overturn Connecticut's "Assault Weapons Act," to which the Legal Defense Fund contributed tens of thousands of dollars during both the Superior Court and State Supreme Court actions. Recently we have overturned an East Hartford hunting ordinance that restricted hunting in the town. It allowed the Chief of Police to determine where hunting could occur and allowed only him to issue permission. The case was appealed by the town and sportsmen won with a favorable conclusion on this preemption issue. We expect this decision to be precedent-setting concerning local hunting ordinances throughout the state. Many times, just having a legal "warchest" to back-up the possibility of a court case has caused towns and others to rethink their position. Our chances of overturning actual and proposed restrictions on sportsmen are excellent, since most the potential cases we face are patently extralegal applications of the law. We urge you support the Legal Defense Fund efforts.
Donations to the CCS Legal Defense Fund are not tax-deductible.

662 A.2d 1226

234 Conn. 455

DeForest H. BENJAMIN, Jr., et al.
v.
John M. BAILEY et al.

No. 14968.

Supreme Court of Connecticut.

Argued April 26, 1995.
Decided July 25, 1995.

KIX

There was some discussion brought up by Ed this week on that as well.

The board is going to find out what they need to do as far as banking and such goes and report back to the club.

Jonathan

Rich B

There was some discussion brought up by Ed this week on that as well.

Wish I was able to attend this month, far too busy at work.

The board is going to find out what they need to do as far as banking and such goes and report back to the club.

That was what I heard a few months ago when I brought it up. I would be interested to hear if there was any progress made and if it made it to the minutes of either meeting.

Lenny Benedetto

That was what I heard a few months ago when I brought it up. I would be interested to hear if there was any progress made and if it made it to the minutes of either meeting.

There has been NO progress yet. Considering that we are in the middle of a 3 event month everyone of the Executive members has their plate full now. It will happen just not right away. Setting up something like this will take a lot of research into where to put the cash and how to keep us as a not for profit organization from paying taxes on it.

KIX

And the less money we give the government is a good thing.........

Jonathan