• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sig P220?

WilliamRB

Thanks for all the replies, I would have got back to everyone earlier but work has been a pain.

Have some good news though, found a few places that will sell discounted significantly because I am Active Duty.

Looking at the P220 Stainless Elite for $850 out the door brand new.

architect

If this is the model with the stainless finish frame with rosewood grips, jump on it. (Or give me contact info. for the fun store. :)) This is $100 cheaper than I've ever seen, and a good $250 less than the usual discounted pricing. If it is the stainless slide with the black frame, it is still a good deal, but right in line with the best I've seen on GunBroker and elsewhere.

45acpForMe

Thanks for all the replies, I would have got back to everyone earlier but work has been a pain.

Have some good news though, found a few places that will sell discounted significantly because I am Active Duty.

Get another one for me too!!! I paid $1050 for mine a few years back.

I love this gun and would never sell it. If I buy another one, it will become a safe queen and may never be shot until my first one wears out. :) I have put some nicks and holster marks on mine from every day carry.p220-8rnd-80.jpg

WilliamRB

So after quite a bit of discussion, even though Proforce has a California shop, they refuse to ship any of their firearms to any FFL and all sales must be done in person.

So since they are located about 10 hours away, I will not be buying from them.

Back on the hunt for a good deal.

bullseye

Campaign Veteran
ONLY AVAILABLE FOR LEO/MILITARY (Active or Retired)
Back on the hunt for a good deal.

Since you were quoted a Individual Officer Program (IOP) price. You can get more information (prices/dealers) at Sig's Individual Officer Non-Letterhead Program webpage.

There's a link to PUBLIC SAFETY SALES CENTER contacts, but it would be better to use a SIG SAUER Significant Law Enforcement dealer to take advantage of the $100/$200 free accessories offer.

Hope this shortens your hunt and helps put your sights on the target!:cool:

ElectricianLU58

my P220 American (bought in '95 for around 800 new), is my go to gun. i carry it most often OC and CC. it is really easy to shoot well and to clean.

i have smallish hands, but my P220 is absolutely perfect.

Last edited:

oak1971

I love my 220 Elite Stainless.

sigs004-1.jpg

45acpForMe

I love my 220 Elite Stainless.

sigs004-1.jpg

I am jealous!

I have the P220 elite stainless with rosewood grip that looks like the one above but my P226 stainless (an older model 40S&W) has a black grip. I wish it also had the rosewood grips! I picked it up used just for another caliber.

A while back a guy nearby was selling a LNIB P220 elite stainless and I offered a trade for it but he wound up selling it. I would love to have a matching pair. I also wish SIG would sell the rosewood grips for it separately. Yes I know there are other grips available but I want a "matching" pair of SIG rosewood grips.

since9

Campaign Veteran
I am looking at a new carry gun and am strongly considering a Sig P220.

Ok.

However I am not sold yet and am still open to a different dead reliable .45 that is California friendly

Meaning 10 or less per magazine.

Anyone have an opinion? Or better, actually use a P220 and can give a review?

Yes, I've fired a P220. Nice firearm. In fact, it's one of the reasons I considered carrying a CZ. "Sig Saur" certainly sounds nicer than "CZ," perhaps a bit more prestigious.

I chose a CZ as it fits the bill, fully, with respect to what I want.

I find it interesting to note that: "The pistol may now be holstered, and can be fired without actuating any other controls. The first shot will be fired in double action mode."

That's what I enjoy with my CZ. The only "safety" is a 6-lb trigger pull. So long as I retain full control of my firearm, what's the difference over a revolver?

None.

Seethreatdrawfire.

^ Are we really fooling ourselves, here? Do we need to take another trip to the range?

Given the level of discourse here, I think we might have.

45acpForMe

...That's what I enjoy with my CZ.

I considered getting a CZ97B http://cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-97-b/ and it looks like a fine gun. Reviews are good too.

By the time I discovered it I had already acquired enough higher capacity guns so I didn't see the need to go with the 10+1. Also the breakdown sounds more like a 1911 than a Sig and I definitely prefer the Sig style breakdown.

So yes I think a CZ would be a good choice too. It costs less than a Sig too.

since9

Campaign Veteran

45acpForMe

Given my experience with my CZ 85B, if I desired a .45 ACP, I'd consider the 97B. At $780 it costs less than a Sig? What does the P220 run these days?

Well the CZ can be found cheaper than list price. Here is one for under $620: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=198928182

Yes Sig's are more expensive, here is a vanilla one for around $800: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=199364908

If you wanted a stainless Sig and/or elite you would be looking around $1k.

WilliamRB

Ok, so I might be coming into a little extra money because the Army screwed up my pay.

Just for the hell of it I have been looking at the P220 X-six.

Very expensive, but beautiful gun.

Highly impractical because of the size for CC or OC, however I might just overlook that because quite frankly I love how it looks and being used to carrying hunting revolvers the weight isn't too much of an issue.

Anyone know if the extra slide length effects reliability at all? I know that in the past long-slide .45s have had some problems.

IMGP2233.JPG

Last edited:

45acpForMe

Ok, so I might be coming into a little extra money because the Army screwed up my pay.

Just for the hell of it I have been looking at the P220 X-six.

Very expensive, but beautiful gun.

Highly impractical because of the size for CC or OC, however I might just overlook that because quite frankly I love how it looks and being used to carrying hunting revolvers the weight isn't too much of an issue.

Anyone know if the extra slide length effects reliability at all? I know that in the past long-slide .45s have had some problems.

IMGP2233.JPG

It is a beautiful gun but at $2500-$2800 I haven't been able to afford or justify one.

Since it has match adjustable sights I wouldn't think you would normally carry it as a self defense gun and would want quicker identifiable sights. The length and weight would make it a little cumbersome. I think it would be a great range gun, occassional "dress" OC gun, and or a collectable.

If you want a good self defense go get the stainless P220 elite. It has rosewood grips and night sights, short reset trigger. It is also less than half the price so you will have money left over to buy extra magazines, ammo, holsters, etc.

One other thing that I had thought about this gun is the single action only with thumb safety. It detracts from the look and adds another thing to do when going into action. I know 1911 lovers will say so what. I personally like the DA/SA of the normal P220 and many police officers use the DAK double action only.

If you get it, I will be jealous. There aren't that many made so good luck finding one available. :)

WilliamRB

I thought about the sights myself. I might be able to get Sig custom shop to put some night sights on it for me.

As for the price, the money is literally just falling into my lap and I have no plans for it. So it's one of those "why not" situations.

I still believe that a 220 elite is a much more practical gun... I just don't know if I will have the ability to afford an X-six in the future.

Grah... I *really* need to see them in person to make a decision.

EDIT: I am in California, SA vs. DA doesn't matter as I can't carry loaded anyway.

Last edited:

45acpForMe

SA vs. DA doesn't matter as I can't carry loaded anyway.
Yes but a 2.5-3.5 trigger pull is a bit light for SD. Even the stock 1911 has a 5lb pull.

Hopefully you won't be in CA forever. :) There are other states you know?

I'm sure it is a great gun. I would want one but with kids, mortgage, ex-wife my priorities are a bit different.

Fyi, I have a Match P220 with a 5inch barrel. I like it and it is accurate but I can't really say it is that much "more" accurate than my 4.4" barreled versions. I got it at a good price and wanted to squeeze as much accuracy into my shooting as possible. Since it doesn't add much I still prefer the 4.4" barrels. After all they chose that length for a reason. :) You will probably have to get a custom holster for it, unless you don't mind the muzzle extending out of the standard P220 holsters. Even my Match P220 extends an inch out of my SERPA.