• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Calling all Wisconsin OCDO members

Captain Nemo

I was thinking about my post which discussed the influence of the internet on the political arena. When you think about it in conjunction with the Jackson county meeting it is striking. In a matter of seconds bnhcomputing was able to get the information concerning the Jackson County Board meeting out to every member of ODCO, free of charge. Compare that to pre-internet. He would have to know the snail mail name and address of every person he wanted to contact. Let's suppose he only had 1000 addresses. He then would have to buy stationary; 2 reams of paper, 1000 envelopes, $44 worth of postage. Then address 1000 envelopes. Then duplicate the notice 1000 times. Then fold the 1000 notices and hand stuff the envelopes. Then get all the information to the post office. Do all of that in plenty of time for the Post office to get it delivered to the recipients and in enough time that the recipients would have time to schedule their attendance. No wonder in years past the special interest groups ran the government, they were the only ones with the resources to do all that stuff. And no wonder they and most politicians secretly hate the internet. We have to make sure we continue to take advantage of that powerful communication device.

Wisconsin Carry Inc. - Chairman

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
Through the power of the internet political shenanigans can be uncovered and rallies and protests formed in short order.

I agree.

WCI sent notification out to over 2000 people last week via our member list, website opt-in email contact list, and facebook page.

There is tremendous power to restore accountability in government. its been nice to see over the past year with tea-parties and all the other activism.

Good time to remind people who use twitter to "follow" WCI on Twitter:

www.twitter.com/wisconsincarry

This allows us to send instant text messages to all those who follow WCI on twitter right on their cell phone.

its worked very well, for example:

When a radio talk show host starts to discuss "carry related" issues, we have been able to send out a text message to all those who follow WCI on twitter within seconds and alert them to the upcoming discussion so they can quickly tune in (in the car or on the internet) call in and make sure positive callers are heard. its worked very well for lightning fast action.

M

McX

well i'll be damned, i guess they are starting to get the; shall not be infringed part!

BROKENSPROKET

On my way to that meeting I got pulled over at 44*27'28"N & 91*06'06"W by a Jackson County Deputy. I know damn well I was speeding, but all he mentioned was my front plate was missing and I had a set of keys still in the trunk. After he ran my DL, he came back and said he was not going to write a citation.

After business was concluded, he stated that he was big into the conceal carry movement and asked if he could write down the web address on my Wisconsin Carry t-shirt. How cool is that? My handgun was encased on my dashboard when he pulled me over.

B

bhancock

I think some of these guys understand that someday they may need a little back up, and they know that we would be willing to help them or anyone else in a life threatening situation. They also understand that the more we carry the easier their job will be.

Spartacus

Banned
I think some of these guys understand that someday they may need a little back up, and they know that we would be willing to help them or anyone else in a life threatening situation. They also understand that the more we carry the easier their job will be.

Tru dat.

While the supporters were standing around in small clusters talking amongst themselves and Hubert was busy with the news media I talked to a deputy and then to the BRF police chief.

The deputy was a bit nervous that one or more individuals would try to carry into the courthouse and was under orders not to arrest but to turn back any attempt to do so. I told him I had only heard of one person who had expressed that desire and that most others would only wear empty holsters by way of a peaceful protest.

The deputy then summoned over the chief and repeated what I had said and the chief thanked me, shook my hand and said that he supported out 2A rights all the way. I told him not to worry that I would keep an eye out for the one individual who had threatened to carry into the meeting and I would dissuade him if he showed up armed.

Sure enough Brokensproket hoved into view about five minutes after everyone had gone upstairs without the promised Hi-Point but with an empty holster, so my work was done.

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
shook my hand and said that he supported our 2A rights all the way.

Great to hear.

... I know I'm REALLY getting greedy now, but I hope for the day when people say "I support Article 1 Sec 25"

Scratch that... I hope for the day when people say "I support the human-right to personal protection"

Its a danger to be so focused on the federal government as the source of rights.

paul@paul-fisher.com

Great to hear.

... I know I'm REALLY getting greedy now, but I hope for the day when people say "I support Article 1 Sec 25"

Scratch that... I hope for the day when people say "I support the human-right to personal protection"

Its a danger to be so focused on the federal government as the source of rights.

+1!

That's what I keep emphasizing is that even if people think the 2nd is vague or applies only to a well regulated militia, it is abundantly clear what the WI Constitution means. This also refutes the argument that the framers didn't envision todays environment. The WI Constitution was amended in 1998. People usually get quieter after that.

Spartacus

Banned
Is the article correct that WCI has 500 members? I thought it was more.

Probably a misprint or old information. The last I heard membership was in the thousands. I'm sure we will find out the exact number at the next board meeting.

The chief of police of BRF was a bit more forthcoming than I described in my first post. I guess I should have given a more detailed account of my conversation with him. He was very supportive of open carry and was aware that it was in the WI constitution. He also voiced support for concealed carry saying something like, "It will be good to know that the good guys are armed as well as the bad guys."

I forget his exact words but I definitely had the feeling that he understood and supported our position entirely and I'm really good at reading body language and facial expressions.

J.Gleason

Banned
Probably a misprint or old information. The last I heard membership was in the thousands. I'm sure we will find out the exact number at the next board meeting.

The chief of police of BRF was a bit more forthcoming than I described in my first post. I guess I should have given a more detailed account of my conversation with him. He was very supportive of open carry and was aware that it was in the WI constitution. He also voiced support for concealed carry saying something like, "It will be good to know that the good guys are armed as well as the bad guys."

I forget his exact words but I definitely had the feeling that he understood and supported our position entirely and I'm really good at reading body language and facial expressions.

Yet he doesn't support the Jackson County DA. Sounds to me like he doesn't know what he thinks. Beware of people in authority who tell you only what you want to hear in an attempt to make their jobs easier.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
Yet he doesn't support the Jackson County DA. Sounds to me like he doesn't know what he thinks. Beware of people in authority who tell you only what you want to hear in an attempt to make their jobs easier.
And of third-hand 'news' from a player. "Believe nothing you read or hear without verifying it yourself unless it fits your preexisting worldview." (Neal Boortz, WSB Atlanta)

Spartacus

Banned

You are getting the County Sheriff Gilbertson confused with the BRF City Police Chief with whom I talked.

B

bhancock

You are getting the County Sheriff Gilbertson confused with the BRF City Police Chief with whom I talked.

Spartacus I think you spoke to Sheriff Waldera and maybe the sheriff's Chief Deputy Moan.

Waldera is the Sheriff and was at the courthouse, Gilbertson is the BRF Chief. I did not see the Chief Gilbertson there but he may have been around. As far as I know the sheriff is supportive but couldn't say much directly to us for political reasons and chief deputy Moan was asked to hold a sign in support of Fox but smiled and said " I can't, I am on duty". The Sheriff's people were very relaxed and in good humor as far as I could tell.

I believe from his early statements to the press that BRF Chief Gilbertson is very anti-gun. He made the statement in one of the articles that we could leave our guns at the city limits, which is a little ignorant and arrogant concerning current laws.

J.Gleason

Banned
Spartacus I think you spoke to Sheriff Waldera and maybe the sheriff's Chief Deputy Moan.

Waldera is the Sheriff and was at the courthouse, Gilbertson is the BRF Chief. I did not see the Chief Gilbertson there but he may have been around. As far as I know the sheriff is supportive but couldn't say much directly to us for political reasons and chief deputy Moan was asked to hold a sign in support of Fox but smiled and said " I can't, I am on duty". The Sheriff's people were very relaxed and in good humor as far as I could tell.

I believe from his early statements to the press that BRF Chief Gilbertson is very anti-gun. He made the statement in one of the articles that we could leave our guns at the city limits, which is a little ignorant and arrogant concerning current laws.

No, I am pretty sure that both the Jackson County Sheriff and the BRF Police Chief spoke out against the Jackson County DA when he stated he would no longer prosecute unconstitutional gun charges.

Double speak, plain and simple.

B

bhancock

Waldera said he was going to continue to enforce the laws as written and did not agree with Fox's decision in totality, he did not add the aggressive tone that Gilbertson did. I think he said something to the effect of McDonald not invalidating all of the statutes that Fox said it did. I think Waldera is being politically cautious and not as willing to come out against these statutes as Fox did until he realizes that it won't kill him in the next elections. He should just say what he is thinking so we don't have to guess where he is on this.

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
WCI doesn't publish member numbers on public internet message forums or provide them to news media.

WCI members who have questions about membership numbers or ANY other questions about WCI can contact me and I'll answer any questions you have.

Last edited: