• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why we should support a "Legal Defense Fund" & what we risk if we do not.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
Why we should support a "Legal Defense Fund" & what we risk if we do not.

Let me preface this post by saying: the majority of police are honest hard working individuals. I have several friends that are retired LEO's. This post is in no way meant to be ANTI-LEO. From speaking with my friends who frequent the local F.O.P. lodges in the area, there is a great interest in the Open Carry movement in Michigan. Many officers support us. There are some who do not. They state lack of training etc..., but when prodded for further information these individuals often admit that they don't like Open Carry because it reflects poorly on their job performance in their minds. These same individuals also feel that Open Carry has the potential to lessen their "job security" - "if everyone can protect themselves, then who needs a police force?". These Anti-OC officers make no effort to hide the fact that they will, and do at every opportunity, try to "squash" Open Carriers. They understand that if they can put the fear of GOD into enough people that even though OC is a legal practice, they may be able to stop it in its tracks now before it becomes too widespread to do so later on.

What's at stake if we do not support legal action against rouge police officers and departments? These individuals watch sites like this one regularly. They monitor support, or for that matter lack of it. If we allow these misguided officers to believe we can not even raise a puny $2,500 to start a law suit, then look out! It will be open season on law abiding citizens by them.

http://www.michiganopencarry.org/pages/jeff-haman-legal-fund

Last edited:

Haman J.T.

The average person and those on fixed or low income,have the same right to keep and bear arms,but do not have the money it takes to hire a lawyer and get justice.This case is about the principles of our constitutional freedoms and one departments ignoring those rights after being publicly notified a year prior to this incident.It's that simple!It's a shame that someone who is poor may not be able to pay the $200 plus to get a CPL,or who do not know they can OC to defend their very lives! IMO,GOD GAVE ME LIFE and in MI's ARTICLE 1 SEC 6 of our constitution,and the 2A of the U.S constitution STATE OUR GOD GIVEN RIGHTS to PROTECT THE LIFE GOD GAVE US! I may be poor,but I have many good, law abiding people who are backing me now and will back others in the future! This is OUR FIGHT against those who violate our FREEDOMS,which are the basis of all laws in the GREATEST NATION IN HISTORY! GOD BLESS YOU AND THIS NATION!

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
The average person and those on fixed or low income,have the same right to keep and bear arms,but do not have the money it takes to hire a lawyer and get justice.This case is about the principles of our constitutional freedoms and one departments ignoring those rights after being publicly notified a year prior to this incident.It's that simple!It's a shame that someone who is poor may not be able to pay the $200 plus to get a CPL,or who do not know they can OC to defend their very lives! IMO,GOD GAVE ME LIFE and in MI's ARTICLE 1 SEC 6 of our constitution,and the 2A of the U.S constitution STATE OUR GOD GIVEN RIGHTS to PROTECT THE LIFE GOD GAVE US! I may be poor,but I have many good, law abiding people who are backing me now and will back others in the future! This is OUR FIGHT against those who violate our FREEDOMS,which are the basis of all laws in the GREATEST NATION IN HISTORY! GOD BLESS YOU AND THIS NATION!

AMEN! Even the ACLU has to get donations to effectively fight some of the other "Bill of Rights" issues (no agreement w/ them implied). I think we need to show the governmental representatives of Michigan that we are done with the abuse that firearm owners have endured over the years. By putting our funds towards those court cases which are particularly strong (such as hamanegss'), we put others on notice that we will not stand for this.

Do you think that without the MCGRO v Ferndale Case that we would have the lackey's in RO so concerned about violating our rights? I don't think so. Perhaps someday the success of this case can be used to further the cause for our sons and daughters.

Last edited:

scot623

We debate a lot of different OC issues here on OCDO. Many times it is in regards to OC in PFZ's with CPL. Often people will say, "We need case law." Well how does case law happen? Lawsuits. Simple as that. If we help a brother in arms who is taking his fight to the courts, we help ourselves. Let's all give, do not think your $5 donation is not enough to make a difference. Give what you can, we will all be better for it when the verdict is read and we have the case law we all need so badly.

PDinDetroit

I also believe we are to "put our money where our RIGHTS are". This is why I jumped on the chance to donate.

Please create a thread "up forum" at the national level to request assistance!

Jared

I understand that times are tough for many people. Any money donated would be appreciated and helps all of us.

Even if it's only five or ten dollars. It adds up.

One of the "godfather's of open carry" if you will, told me that he is very impressed with how dedicated, organized, professional, and proactive the open carry crowd is in Michigan. It's very similar to Washington's crowd.

I have long told people that for a long time that OC'ing in PFZ is the harder challenge. I guarantee you that many cops will arrest people for OC'ing in a bar or hospital, even if they have a CPL.

The law is not hard to understand, if members of the legal community (government side) are too stupid to understand the differences between PFZ's (28.425o) and Firearm Free Zones (234d) then they need to be sued and/or fired from their positions. It's not hard, it just involves juggling two different blocks of thought.. I know for many people it is.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
I don't have a checking account, or credit cards, but even though I'm broke, I have 10$ cash that I would like to give to help out. How do I get it to where it needs to go?

Stainless if you're sure (I know things are pretty tight for you right now) send it to:

Michigan Open Carry, Inc.

Attention: Jeff Haman Legal Fund

29744 Amy Lane

Chesterfield, MI 48047

1245A Defender

thanks for the inspiration,, and the address...

im sending 20 bucks to help get some Case Law,
and some justice for Jeff.
standing up for your rights in Michigan,,, stands up for our rights, everywhere else!

Virginia,, Washington,, Michigan, are 1,2 and 3 in posts, threads, and activity on OCDO.
this sunday is our big yearly event, Willow lake, top sticky in our state forum,
you guys are all invited, right by the airport, how convenient is that.

quote;
One of the "godfather's of open carry" if you will, told me that he is very impressed with how dedicated, organized, professional, and proactive the open carry crowd is in Michigan. It's very similar to Washington's crowd. end

Best regards and good luck, ive been following since the beginning, and ill follow till the end.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
im sending 20 bucks to help get some Case Law,
and some justice for Jeff.
standing up for your rights in Michigan,,, stands up for our rights, everywhere else!

Virginia,, Washington,, Michigan, are 1,2 and 3 in posts, threads, and activity on OCDO.
this sunday is our big yearly event, Willow lake, top sticky in our state forum,
you guys are all invited, right by the airport, how convenient is that.

quote;
One of the "godfather's of open carry" if you will, told me that he is very impressed with how dedicated, organized, professional, and proactive the open carry crowd is in Michigan. It's very similar to Washington's crowd. end

Best regards and good luck, ive been following since the beginning, and ill follow till the end.

Thanks Sir! hope your event goes well. I wish I could be there.

- God bless you all.

Haman J.T.

Fund mentioned in the Free Press. Hope we make our goal on this or we will become the laughing stock of the Anti's!

http://www.freep.com/article/20100815/NEWS05/8150432/Gun-activists-take-aim-at-metro-Detroit
I will be working with Norb Franz(MacombDaily) on my story.He has been in the wings at my request since my incident,and covered our 08' picnic(front page twice)with journalistic integrety.As soon as the suit is filed I will be working with him,for the citizens of Warren and the state.Thank You Guys and God Bless! Jeff Haman.

rvd4now

We debate a lot of different OC issues here on OCDO. Many times it is in regards to OC in PFZ's with CPL. Often people will say, "We need case law." Well how does case law happen? Lawsuits. Simple as that. If we help a brother in arms who is taking his fight to the courts, we help ourselves. Let's all give, do not think your $5 donation is not enough to make a difference. Give what you can, we will all be better for it when the verdict is read and we have the case law we all need so badly.

i hope this still stands,