• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Non-Resident Permit

Kaliga

I used to live in FL, I am in the Marines. I have a valid FL DL and FL ccw permit. Both expire at the end of this year. I am thinking of establishing new residency in TN and getting a TN drivers licence. I eventually plan on getting a TN concealed handgun permit, but not right away. So in the mean time I would like to get a FL non resident permit. Can I re-new my current permit as a non-resident? And also, does the addressee of where you live at out of state go on your FL nrp? Looking forward to the feedback. Thanks

Josh

brboyer

I used to live in FL, I am in the Marines. I have a valid FL DL and FL ccw permit. Both expire at the end of this year. I am thinking of establishing new residency in TN and getting a TN drivers licence. I eventually plan on getting a TN concealed handgun permit, but not right away. So in the mean time I would like to get a FL non resident permit. Can I re-new my current permit as a non-resident? And also, does the addressee of where you live at out of state go on your FL nrp? Looking forward to the feedback. Thanks

Josh

Just renew it. You'll get a renewal notice 90 days in advance of expiration. Also no fingerprints for renewal unless you are a non-resident.
They no longer put your address on your license. You have 30 days to update your address when you move. It will change from 'resident' to 'non-resident' after a period of time elapses once you become a resident of Tenn. Don't know what that time period is but you should be able to get that information from Tenn.

Once you are a resident of Tenn. your, then, non-resident Florida license will be treated as such. i.e. some states only recognize the licenses as valid if the individual is a resident of the issuing state.

XDSTEEL

Permit

how would one get a non-resident permit. Also i heard if you are a member of the the Armed Forces you don't need the training certification just the Military ID?

JeepSeller

XDSTEEL, there technically, isn't such thing as a Florida NON-resident license. You're living out of state simply makes it NON-resident. Otherwise, the license you'd get in the mail is no different than mine. They don't even put your address on them anymore.

Florida is pretty easy. Just go to this website.

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/weapons/index.html

I think you can download the application as well as the fingerprint card off the website and print them up. Or, I'm sure you can request the "packet" sent to you. Just be careful and read the directions carefully. There's a pdf format download of the instructions online. There's a couple questions that, IMHO, aren't very clear and can stump you if you don't answer them right. For example, questions 4a and 4b inquire about exemption from Florida's public records laws. Usually, that regards public service folks. Not difficult, just be thorough.

Simply fill it out, get it notarized, have your local PD or SO ink your fingers, write a check, stuff it all in an envelope, and mail it in. (suggest return receipt mail, that way no question they got it) I think they're running somewhere between 2 and 4 weeks to your mailbox these days. The 90+ wait times seem to have subsided.

As far as your proof of your training. I'm certain military training suffices, I'm just not up to speed on what documentation you need. Browse around the above website and give them a call. For a government dept., they're honestly not too bad to deal with on the phone...usually.

Good luck, and stay safe.

OH YEA....make copies of EVERYTHING. Send the originals...but, keep copies for your own peace of mind.

XDSTEEL

So I just requested the finger print card from a the FL licensing office. I did that so I had thiers , and that they won't complain that it is different state and won't accept it. I'll fill out all the information and needed copying and send it in when I get my fingerprints.