• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I had forgotten how odd it is to carry concealed

Tess

Founder's Club Member
Visiting Texas this week, which means concealed only. I had forgotten what a pain that is.

Thanking the gods (and gun-rights activists!) for open carry in Virginia!

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
Yup! My wife and I were down in Florida this past spring and I remembered what a pain in the rear it was to conceal everywhere I went. At least Florida was a hospitable CC state, compared to South Carolina where there are bunches of places off limits to carry, the most effectual of which are restaurants that serve alcohol. Thank God and Virginians who care for the good laws we enjoy!

Jack House

Visiting Texas this week, which means concealed only. I had forgotten what a pain that is.

Thanking the gods (and gun-rights activists!) for open carry in Virginia!
I believe Texas actually allows open carry for travelers. Might wanna check into that. ;)

Tess

Founder's Club Member
I believe Texas actually allows open carry for travelers. Might wanna check into that. ;)

Perhaps in a vehicle traveling through the state -- though I'd have to check that very closely before I did it. Texas doesn't allow open carry, though, at all. Even if I am wearing my VCDL shirt and could prove I don't live here.

KBCraig

Perhaps in a vehicle traveling through the state -- though I'd have to check that very closely before I did it. Texas doesn't allow open carry, though, at all. Even if I am wearing my VCDL shirt and could prove I don't live here.

Texas Penal Code 46.02:
UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS. (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun, illegal knife, or club if the person is not:

(1) on the person's own premises or premises under the person's control; or

(2) inside of or directly en route to a motor vehicle that is owned by the person or under the person's control.

Now what you want is PC 46.15(b)(2):
Section 46.02 does not apply to a person who:

(2) is traveling;

The only problem is that there is no statutory definition of "traveling", nor how narrowly restricted you might be while traveling. Are you still traveling when you stop for the night? If you stop for gas?

Also, the addition of the "Motorist Protection Act" (46.02(a-1)), which allows loaded unlicensed car carry, requires the gun to be concealed. Although you're still exempt from 46.02 (all of it) while traveling, you can expect some police and prosecutors (and possibly judges) to believe that the gun must be concealed.

Last edited:

Tess

Founder's Club Member

Not gonna play the semantic game between "traveling" and "visiting". Particularly since things like tonight can happen -- my rental car was broken into (smash & grab my GPS) -- and I had to file a police report. Big old handprint on the window, so the officer spent time with me.

Not being 100% sure, thinking I only had to self-identify if the officer asked, but wanting to be on the safe side, I informed the officer I was carrying. His reaction was exceptionally professional. In fact, he said "Oh, do we recognize Virginia licenses? I don't know which ones we honor." but never asked to see the firearm....just put my purse on the hood of the car where we both could see it but it was outside my reach.

Bet it would not have gone the same if I'd been open carrying and claiming I was traveling.

And I really do like the signs here in Texas -- the ones that say Unlicensed carry of a weapon is prohibited. Not that I like licensing, but it sends a message that legal carry is fine, and lets bad guys know that some patrons may be armed.