View Poll Results: Do you OC when it's raining?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yep, same as always.

24 50.00%
  • Yes, but I oil it after each outting.

4 8.33%
  • Yes, but only with a dedicated gun ie., Glock.

5 10.42%
  • Yes, but in a holster with a cover flap.

1 2.08%
  • No, my guns are my babies, they deserve to stay warm and dry.

14 29.17%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OC When Raining

OC When Raining

How many of you OC when it's raining? My carry weapons are a Glock 23 and a Beretta 92FS Inox. I have OC'ed the Glock when it's raining. I don't think I'd ever OC a blued firearm if it was raining, though my cousin has.

So how 'bout you guys? Do you still OC when it's raining?

If I know I'm going to be out in it for any amount of time I wouldnt. If I was going to the store and it was raining I still would. I have been caught in the rain on a walk before and didnt really worry about it.
    Last edited by bennie1986; 08-12-2010 at 05:44 PM.

I carry a blue 92FS, and there are times that it will start raining and I am without jacket, but have my hand rested over my sidearm without any worry.

I am more concerned about my ammo, not the sidearm. Ammunition can get wet, but it might not be a good idea for it to get wet to much or on a regular basis.
    I don't mind watching the OC-Community (tea party 2.0's, who have hijacked the OC-Community) cannibalize itself. I do mind watching OC dragged through the gutter. OC is an exercise of A Right. I choose to not OC; I choose to not own firearms. I choose to leave the OC-Community to it's own self-inflicted injuries, and eventual implosion. Carry on...

I am like the mailman, rain, snow , sleet.... I clean it and oil it every day.
    Semper Fi
    I am a Sheep Dog, ... Wolves Beware !

Regular Member WinchesterModel12's Avatar
    I hunt in the rain with my rifles and/or shotguns.
    Take care of them afterwards and they will be fine.
    If guns kill people......then all of mine are defective........ UNCLE TED

69Charger
    When it rains, I have a coat on.
    Is it still called open carry when you have a gun in an OWB holster and a coat on that covers it up?
    Or do you have to walk in the rain with out a coat?
    I stopped doing that at about age 13.
    Ha.
    Dave

Depends on how hard it's raining, how long I'll be in the rain, etc. I'll CC till I get to dry cover if it's raining hard, then get home and wipe it down and re oil it.

The new "BBQ/OC" piece (Springfield Stainless Loaded w/fake ivorys) does not get any holster OC holster time except when it's BBQ weather. Other than that, my GLOCK 19 (w/maritime spring cups ) can handle anything falling from the sky in Washington.

RE: USMC1911's response---- (while in Glock mode) "You have to OIL these things?!? Since when?"

Just kiddin'!

-G20

Quote Originally Posted by 69Charger View Post
    Is it still called open carry when you have a gun in an OWB holster and a coat on that covers it up?

Dave
    HAHA...that would be called CONCEALED carry there, Dave.

The only reason I open carry over cc is the weather, lol. It's too hot for a coat, so I OC. In the rain, I would likely CC because I would have a coat on.

Joe~

Quote Originally Posted by G20-IWB24/7 View Post
    The new "BBQ/OC" piece (Springfield Stainless Loaded w/fake ivorys) does not get any holster OC holster time except when it's BBQ weather. Other than that, my GLOCK 19 (w/maritime spring cups ) can handle anything falling from the sky in Washington.

RE: USMC1911's response---- (while in Glock mode) "You have to OIL these things?!? Since when?"

Just kiddin'!

-G20
    Dress Blues, Tenis Shoes and a lite coat of Oil ! High Speed, Low Drag !
    I am a Sheep Dog, ... Wolves Beware !

My attire makes the determination

If a jacket is worn, then I'm cc. If it is warm enough to skip the outerwear, then the Glock isn't going to complain about the rain.

Someday I'll grab a short jacket that doesn't look like I'm showing off by tucking it behind the gun.
    "Government is not the solution to our problems. Government is the problem" Ronald Reagan 20 January 1981

"Government is not reason; it is not eloquence; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." George Washington

It wasn't raining today, but I just went to Starbucks down the street from my house and on the walk back it began to rain coffee on my sidearm, dammit, they always fill the cup to high
    I don't mind watching the OC-Community (tea party 2.0's, who have hijacked the OC-Community) cannibalize itself. I do mind watching OC dragged through the gutter. OC is an exercise of A Right. I choose to not OC; I choose to not own firearms. I choose to leave the OC-Community to it's own self-inflicted injuries, and eventual implosion. Carry on...

Stryker:

Awesome avtar BTW, seriously, I like it
    Last edited by Beretta92FSLady; 08-12-2010 at 08:56 PM.

In the Northwest...

It really doesn't rain much, but rather it sprinkles, drizzles, mists, etc...

I will wear a coat, jacket, windbreaker, etc.... when it is cold or windy....and sometimes when it really rains. I don't go out of my way to OC in the rain but it happens. I just wipe my Sig down at the end of the day and she is good to go tomorrow.

But really, it doesn't rain much during daylight hours here in the Northwest....but it is always wet outside.

Live Free or Die!

Cool

Same as always.I always have an umbrella.my gosh my gun can get wet but not my hair.
    Last edited by DEROS72; 08-12-2010 at 09:28 PM.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DEROS72 View Post
    Same as always.I always have an umbrella.my gosh my gun can get wet but not my hair.
    You aren't originally from here are you. LOL.......

Cool

Spokane sez: What's rain?
    IAALBIAAFTDPASNIPHCBCALA
    Don't be so open minded that your brains fall out. (John Corapi, The Black Sheep Dog)
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. (Groucho Marx)

Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    Stryker:

Awesome avtar BTW, seriously, I like it

HA HA I didn't even notice it until you said something about it and I took a closer look.

Awesome Avatar Stryker
    Last edited by END_THE_FED; 08-13-2010 at 04:50 AM.
    A wise and frugal Government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government.- Thomas Jefferson March 4 1801

With the XDm, I'd have no problem getting caught in a rain storm OCing. Ifn it was raining and I knew about it and planned to be outside i'd have a coat already planned into my attire and be CCing under the coat.

It depends on the rain...

I've never worried much about it. It gets wet or dirty I just clean it up and go again!

Yup, if you have to worry about your firearm getting a little wet, maybe you want to reconsider trusting your life to it. Now, before I get flamed too much, yes for a firearm to function properly it needs to be maintained. So if mine get's excessively wet, I'll clean it out and re-oil when I get home but not every time it gets a light drizzle on it. I clean and re-oil my carry gun about once a week anyways.

But if I know that I'm going to be out in the rain, chances are I'll have a jacket with me (usually keep one in the truck anyways), that's just common sense. So then it's not even an issue.

No worries here

This is one of the reasons I decided on the XD. Gogo's right again though, it doesn't really rain here and keeping them clean is a must.
    I still have the same hunting and plinking rifles I used when I was a child. Rain, mud, sand, etc and still never a problem. It's amazing what a little care will do.

Let me tell you what I've put my P226 through...

My OC holster is a Blackhawk Serpa duty holster, so short of a trench coat it will be fully exposed when I'm out backpacking. I've gone out climbing mile-high peaks in the dead of winter with the falling snow finding it's way into every nook and cranny it can. When glissading down the side of a mountain, I've had snow loosely packed up into the barrel (along with any dirt and debris suspended in the snow too), snow jammed up between the holster and myself along with snow lightly packed into places between the holster and pistol (never enough to make drawing difficult or impossible), I estimate that I've put on about 3-5 lbs from the snow being packed around my right side. Most of the snow is easily cleared with a quick unload and shake.

Last year I picked the "best" time to go for a 3-day excursion in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness. It doesn't rain at 4,000' in the mountains like it does in Seattle, it's a proper rainfall bordering on a downpour where a backpack rain fly becomes useless. Yes my pistol was out in the open during this getting absolutely soaked just like all of my other gear, which took a week to properly dry.

All I've ever done to dry it out is field strip and remove the grip panels, wipe it down with a rag, spray some CLP on just about everything, wipe it down again, followed by the typical cleaning after a few range trips and it keeps on shooting. I wouldn't worry about a little Seattle "rain" where you might be in it for an hour tops.
    Last edited by onlurker; 08-15-2010 at 12:54 PM.

I have OC'ed in less than desirable weather while hunting and fishing, I simply make sure I clean and oil the second I am in the door.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast