• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC When Raining

Do you OC when it's raining?

• Yep, same as always.

Votes: 24 51.1%
  • Yes, but I oil it after each outting.

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • Yes, but only with a dedicated gun ie., Glock.

Votes: 5 10.6%
  • Yes, but in a holster with a cover flap.

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • No, my guns are my babies, they deserve to stay warm and dry.

Votes: 13 27.7%

• Total voters

kenshin

Yup, if you have to worry about your firearm getting a little wet, maybe you want to reconsider trusting your life to it. Now, before I get flamed too much, yes for a firearm to function properly it needs to be maintained. So if mine get's excessively wet, I'll clean it out and re-oil when I get home but not every time it gets a light drizzle on it. I clean and re-oil my carry gun about once a week anyways.

But if I know that I'm going to be out in the rain, chances are I'll have a jacket with me (usually keep one in the truck anyways), that's just common sense. So then it's not even an issue.

Aryk45XD

No worries here

This is one of the reasons I decided on the XD. Gogo's right again though, it doesn't really rain here and keeping them clean is a must.
I still have the same hunting and plinking rifles I used when I was a child. Rain, mud, sand, etc and still never a problem. It's amazing what a little care will do.

onlurker

Let me tell you what I've put my P226 through...

My OC holster is a Blackhawk Serpa duty holster, so short of a trench coat it will be fully exposed when I'm out backpacking. I've gone out climbing mile-high peaks in the dead of winter with the falling snow finding it's way into every nook and cranny it can. When glissading down the side of a mountain, I've had snow loosely packed up into the barrel (along with any dirt and debris suspended in the snow too), snow jammed up between the holster and myself along with snow lightly packed into places between the holster and pistol (never enough to make drawing difficult or impossible), I estimate that I've put on about 3-5 lbs from the snow being packed around my right side. Most of the snow is easily cleared with a quick unload and shake.

Last year I picked the "best" time to go for a 3-day excursion in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness. It doesn't rain at 4,000' in the mountains like it does in Seattle, it's a proper rainfall bordering on a downpour where a backpack rain fly becomes useless. Yes my pistol was out in the open during this getting absolutely soaked just like all of my other gear, which took a week to properly dry.

All I've ever done to dry it out is field strip and remove the grip panels, wipe it down with a rag, spray some CLP on just about everything, wipe it down again, followed by the typical cleaning after a few range trips and it keeps on shooting. I wouldn't worry about a little Seattle "rain" where you might be in it for an hour tops.

Last edited:

Drakej

I have OC'ed in less than desirable weather while hunting and fishing, I simply make sure I clean and oil the second I am in the door.