• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Barnes and Noble, Peninsula Town Center

Eeyore

Problem: it's in the Town Center

Guys,

The point may be entirely moot: the B&N in question is located in the Hampton Town Center. IIRC, the Hampton Town Center in its entirety is a posted "Disarmed Victim Zone." (See http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...ula-Town-Center&highlight=hampton+town+center) That being the case, B&N's landlord has already banned guns, regardless of B&N's corporate policy. If you want to OC in a B&N, try the one off Jefferson in Newport News

Last edited:

Tralpat

I have never had a problem at this B&N. I've OC'd there countless times without so much as a second look.

Guys,

The point may be entirely moot: the B&N in question is located in the Hampton Town Center. IIRC, the Hampton Town Center in its entirety is a posted "Disarmed Victim Zone." (See http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...ula-Town-Center&highlight=hampton+town+center) That being the case, B&N's landlord has already banned guns, regardless of B&N's corporate policy. If you want to OC in a B&N, try the one off Jefferson in Newport News

PTC has changed their policy to state "NO ILLEGAL WEAPONS". I talked to a security guard there who said the reason for the change was that city street run through it so they couldn't ban legal carry. It did make it a point to say that every store has the right to no allow weapons and that most there were against OC specifically. Once again though, I have not had any problems since the change in policy.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I have never had a problem at this B&N. I've OC'd there countless times without so much as a second look.

PTC has changed their policy to state "NO ILLEGAL WEAPONS". I talked to a security guard there who said the reason for the change was that city street run through it so they couldn't ban legal carry. It did make it a point to say that every store has the right to no allow weapons and that most there were against OC specifically. Once again though, I have not had any problems since the change in policy.

This thread thoroughly hashes that out.
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...a-Town-Center&highlight=peninsula+town+center

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP I'm thinking about going back tomorrow evening to pick up Deadwood Season 2. Anyone care to meet/accompany me?

I'm not sure such boat-rocking is really the way to go about this. If B&N corporate gets enough flap bubbling up channels, they can just as easily change the policy to no guns, no way, no how.

This is a little different from a locality violating pre-emption or posting illegal signs in a park or something.

I would like to gently advise just going about your business in an everyday fashion, and even take a moment to thank B & N and the manager for respecting your rights.

"Oh, hi, Linda. I wanted to thank you for respecting people's right to self-defense. I know its grating for you, but it takes a bit of a bigger person to set aside their personal differences and do the right thing. I respect you for that, and appreciate it."

Last edited:

ClumsyCandy

I spoke with another customer service representative for Barnes and Noble, and inquired about the store manager overriding corporate policy due to personal feeling/preference, and was informed that since I had already spoken with the manager any other questions or follow-up on the issue would have to be taken up with the store manager.

I then asked for contact information for the General/District manager and was informed that they do not deal with customer relations, and only employees can contact them with issues.

So, it seems that if I want to clarify the issue about Linda McGee making her own policy (direct contradiction to corporate policy) I have to speak with her again, and I can't speak with her supervisor about anything.

I would call again, and ask to speak to someone else if you get the same representative again. I experienced a similar incident in January, Grapeshot and I both spoke to corporate and they were VERY cooperative. I don't care if they tell you you can't speak to a district manager ask to anyway. I was told in my case that it had to go through the district manager before it got back to the store manager. The store manager was very cooperative and apologetic about my incident, very similar she had a rogue manager tell me I couldn't carry when B & N policy is to allow carry.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by maverick2694
I spoke with another customer service representative for Barnes and Noble, and inquired about the store manager overriding corporate policy due to personal feeling/preference, and was informed that since I had already spoken with the manager any other questions or follow-up on the issue would have to be taken up with the store manager.

I then asked for contact information for the General/District manager and was informed that they do not deal with customer relations, and only employees can contact them with issues.
So, it seems that if I want to clarify the issue about Linda McGee making her own policy (direct contradiction to corporate policy) I have to speak with her again, and I can't speak with her supervisor about anything.

I would call again, and ask to speak to someone else if you get the same representative again. I experienced a similar incident in January, Grapeshot and I both spoke to corporate and they were VERY cooperative. I don't care if they tell you you can't speak to a district manager ask to anyway. I was told in my case that it had to go through the district manager before it got back to the store manager. The store manager was very cooperative and apologetic about my incident, very similar she had a rogue manager tell me I couldn't carry when B & N policy is to allow carry.

Clumsy is correct - had no problem reaching and speaking with the district manager. The Libby Place B&N manager was most upset with the assistant mgr taking a negative position - said they would have a counseling session and that we were welcome to carry in B&N. She even went so far as to say she understood the need everywhere for self-protection and that her husband had a permit and carries regularly.

Last edited:

simmonsjoe

I'm not sure such boat-rocking is really the way to go about this. If B&N corporate gets enough flap bubbling up channels, they can just as easily change the policy to no guns, no way, no how.

This is a little different from a locality violating pre-emption or posting illegal signs in a park or something.

I would like to gently advise just going about your business in an everyday fashion, and even take a moment to thank B & N and the manager for respecting your rights.

"Oh, hi, Linda. I wanted to thank you for respecting people's right to self-defense. I know its grating for you, but it takes a bit of a bigger person to set aside their personal differences and do the right thing. I respect you for that, and appreciate it."
+1

MSC 45ACP

B&N in Newport News and Hampton

I've OC'd in both places many times without issue. I also OC'd at Target and 5 Guys in PTC without a problem. When shopping in Target, I saw a pair of Hampton PD officers coming out. We exchanged pleasantries and kept going.

I've OC'd at several stores with outside entrances around Patrick Henry Mall (JC Penny, B&N, Dicks and Chipotle) without incident. If I go into the mall, I usually go back out the door, go to my car, switch to CC and re-enter the mall so as not to disturb Sheeple. Does anyone remember the reaction we got last year when Bridget and I OC'd in Patrick Henry Mall? THAT was FUNNY! While walking through the very crowded food court, a small black child around 5 years old took one look at Bridget's Glock 21 on her hip and yelled to his mother (even though she was standing beside him) "MOMMA, SHE GOT A GUN, SHE GOT A GUN, SHE GOT A GUN!!!" We calmly continued our walk through the food court, ignoring the noisy child and shopped leisurely through several more stores for another 20 minutes before the mall cops could establish a perimeter (unarmed of course) around the entrance of the store we were in. The senior member of the "posse" (with a white shirt) asked us if we were actually carrying REAL guns. We replied in the affirmative. He stated they were not allowed in the mall and if we would return them to our vehicle, we would be welcome back in the mall. We declined and said we would take our business elsewhere. He asked where we parked and they had one mall cop ahead of us and he followed us to our car parked at the other end of the mall through the book store. We were "well protected" from the mall zombies while transiting the mall.
Some OC days are simply PRICELESS. That was one of them.

Last edited:

kimbercarrier

Campaign Veteran
I've OC'd at that very B&N MANY times! Never had any problems or even bugeyes. I OC at Borders, B&N and Books a Million regularly all over the Peninsula and have yet to encounter an anti. Guess I've been lucky.

Mike unless Books a Million changed their policy the store in Hampton is posted. I used to go there regularly. I was stopped by their rent a cop and told I could not carry in the store so I asked to speak to the manager and he told me it was a corprate policy and gave me the phone number. I called and never heard back from them.

MSC 45ACP

Thanks for the head's up, but I've never seen the sign. As I said, I've OC'd there a lot and never even had a second glance. My kids say I still look like a "cop" and that's why I don't often get questions. When people ask if I am LE, I simply say "retired". I go on to tell them about OC being legal for most VA residents unless you're a felon, wife beater or have resided in an asylum against your will. I also try to hand them an OC card and share "the rest of the story" about OCing (where legal, unauthorized carriers, etc). Do I really "stick out" as a former LEO? If so, It certainly isn't intentional. I've always thought the dirty looks were because I was unshaven, chubby and downright ugly...