• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Malls?

Big Boy

Pretty positive malls are good and legal to carry in, but for some reason I have it in the back of my head that you aren't supposed to. Something about the number of people?

Just to make sure, it is legal to carry into a mall right? Just up to the mall to post signs?

Any one know if Independence Center has signs posted? I'm going there tomorrow.

cshoff

There is no law in Missouri against carry into shopping malls. Under RSMO 571.107.1 (15), private property owners may post their buildings so as to warn folks who might enter that firearms are not welcome. Keep in mind that a mall or any other private property does NOT need to be posted with a sign before the people in charge of said property can restrict who can or can't enter and with what. Even if there are no signs, if you walk in with your firearm and they don't want you there with it, you can still be denied access to the building or removed from the building.

Last edited:

Big Boy

Yep. Absolutely. It's private property, if they don't want my gun there, I shall go somewhere else.

peterarthur

Ward Parkway Mall in KC is off limits. They have tiny illegible signs on the driveway that cannot possibly read as you are exiting traffic on State Line RD. I found out when I saw 2 security guards circling me as I shopped and eventually asked me to leave and informed me of the signage.

They had this policy in place when someone decided to shoot 2 people not too long ago near the Target. I guess some people don't learn. They had to wait for the police to show up to stop him...
http://www.kmbc.com/r/13219012/detail.html
This happened across the street from my place of employment. I USED to shop there but no more...

Jaysann22

:banghead:
Ward Parkway Mall in KC is off limits. They have tiny illegible signs on the driveway that cannot possibly read as you are exiting traffic on State Line RD. I found out when I saw 2 security guards circling me as I shopped and eventually asked me to leave and informed me of the signage.

They had this policy in place when someone decided to shoot 2 people not too long ago near the Target. I guess some people don't learn. They had to wait for the police to show up to stop him...
http://www.kmbc.com/r/13219012/detail.html
This happened across the street from my place of employment. I USED to shop there but no more...

Thats just sad and it riles me up something fierce. A tragedy such as that happening and then they BAN firearms? they should be ENCOURAGED after such a horrible event. When are businessmen, politicians, and citizens going to realize that a simple posted sign is NOT going to deter criminals. :banghead: The whole reason why criminals are criminals is because they DONT follow the rules. A simple sign does nothing but force away potential heros and makes the area an easy target for predators. They might as well paint a bullseye target on the front door of the business.... :mad:

Last edited:

ComSec

Campaign Veteran
The only mall in the area that I have found it legal to OC is the Great Mall in Olathe, KS, all the malls around have the NO WEAPONS junk, when your diving into Ind. Center Mall look at the LITTLE sign as you drive it

I had a nice long chat with the guards one day I made them show me where it was writen LOL 15 minutes later they got me the list of rules of the mall and even walk out side to show me the no gun sign, but he could not find it LOL, but I noticed the no weapons sign on the road as I exited the mall

ALOTAGLOCK

The only mall in the area that I have found it legal to OC is the Great Mall in Olathe, KS, all the malls around have the NO WEAPONS junk, when your diving into Ind. Center Mall look at the LITTLE sign as you drive it

I had a nice long chat with the guards one day I made them show me where it was writen LOL 15 minutes later they got me the list of rules of the mall and even walk out side to show me the no gun sign, but he could not find it LOL, but I noticed the no weapons sign on the road as I exited the mall

Had the same conversation with mall security. He asked one of the Independence Police officers in the mall where the sign was. Gotta love blind faith. I would assume that a place like that would have a little bit better training program for their security.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
Had the same conversation with mall security. He asked one of the Independence Police officers in the mall where the sign was. Gotta love blind faith. I would assume that a place like that would have a little bit better training program for their security.

WHAAT!!!!

perhaps they need the geko!!! Long live the mall ninja!

Big Boy

Yeah Independence Center has the same thing. Tiny little sign posted at the center of the lane when you enter. Any one properly paying attention to cross traffic and their turn would never ever see it. I just so happened to notice it on accident, so I didn't carry.

There is absolutely nothing posted on their doors.

heresyourdipstickjimmy

Pretty positive malls are good and legal to carry in, but for some reason I have it in the back of my head that you aren't supposed to. Something about the number of people?

Just to make sure, it is legal to carry into a mall right? Just up to the mall to post signs?

Any one know if Independence Center has signs posted? I'm going there tomorrow.

There is no law in Missouri against carry into shopping malls. Under RSMO 571.107.1 (15), private property owners may post their buildings so as to warn folks who might enter that firearms are not welcome. Keep in mind that a mall or any other private property does NOT need to be posted with a sign before the people in charge of said property can restrict who can or can't enter and with what. Even if there are no signs, if you walk in with your firearm and they don't want you there with it, you can still be denied access to the building or removed from the building.

+1000 and buyer beware! The malls WILL attempt to trap you in the Statute you'll use to carry, so carry VERY cautiously. We already have this problem at Battlefield Mall in Springfield. Here's what they will do.

Postings, per statute, have to meet the specific size requirements...this they do not have a problem with and will rapidly correct if addressed. They also are aware that they do not need to post EVERY entrance accessible to the public, they merely need to post at a public entry in a conspicuous manner. To the anti-2A mall-rat, this translates to them only needing to post just 1 public entry and they would be legal under the statute.

At that point they will have you trapped in carrying in a posted location and could report that to the Sheriff. So I'll stress this again....

Buyer beware!

Last edited: