• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bank's doors activated by positive metal detector reading

ufcfanvt

3 Questions:
I wonder what the failure rate is on this device?
I wonder what, besides a gun, would set off this alarm, locking you out of the bank?
I wonder what would happen if someone concealing tried to get in. I bet they'd just waive you in?

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/police/news-releases/2010/081210attbankrobbspringfield.htm

Attempted Bank Robbery in Springfield Area
Franconia Police District – On Wednesday, August 11 around noon, three men entered the Union Bank located at 6975 Springfield Boulevard in Springfield, in what appears to be a robbery attempt. The three men entered the first set of doors for the bank and put on masks. A metal detector inside the doorway was activated and the second set of doors into the bank automatically locked. The three men attempted to enter the bank but were unsuccessful so they then left on foot. No one was injured.

The three men were described as black and around 6 feet tall. One was wearing a lime-green shirt and a baseball cap and a second was wearing a white shirt and baseball cap.

Anyone with information is asked to contact Crime Solvers by phone at 1-866-411-TIPS/8477, e-mail at www.fairfaxcrimesolvers.org or text “TIP187” plus your message to CRIMES/274637 or call Fairfax County Police at 703-691-2131.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Doc anybody other than DOC and similar utilize a fully contained locking system?

BTW - that would be a positive metal reading, not a negative.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Reasonably sure that this system has a manual override for LEO and Brinks etc. therefore, it likely has a manual activate too - point is maybe they were stopped by a keen eyed employee.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I am rather disappointed that the bank did not go for the full sallyport system that some other high-dollar-volume places utilize. Enter door #1, which locks behind you. Door #2 is activated to open either manually or by some combination of negative metal detection or PIN. If door #2 is not activated you get to remain behind bullet/impact-resistant barriers until the police leisurely arrive or the folks inside assemble their welcoming kit.

About the only thing I've seen that is more fun are the "instantaneous"-closing shutters that slam down from above - usually capturing the miscreant who was attempting to reach or jump over a counter. The ones that rise up are no fun, as all they do is throw the jerks back onto the floor.

stay safe.

nova

They said metal detecting, meaning guns. Glocks would set off their explosive device sniffers.

(there I added one too even though a glock is on my side every day ;))

lockman

State Researcher
What about a bag of change?

Couple rolls of quarters or a wheel chair and they lock you out! I guess cops and armed agents must bank elsewhere I think that is to much of an inconvenience.

simmonsjoe

As for the ones that lock you in...

... If your just a normal guy who is OC/CC and gets locked into one of these, wouldn't it be unlawful detainment??

Even if you overlooked a GFZ sticker, it would still only be misdemeanor trespass if you refused to leave, right?

kaiheitai17

Founder's Club Member
... If your just a normal guy who is OC/CC and gets locked into one of these, wouldn't it be unlawful detainment??

Even if you overlooked a GFZ sticker, it would still only be misdemeanor trespass if you refused to leave, right?

Perhaps that is why the three were allowed to leave? They were not allowed access to the facility but were not unlawfully detained in the process. The bank personnel could not determine criminal intent but in consideration of security refused them access.

architect

Couple rolls of quarters or a wheel chair and they lock you out! I guess cops and armed agents must bank elsewhere I think that is to much of an inconvenience.

Yeah, I'd be willing to bet the "metal detector" statement is bogus. Somebody didn't like their looks and hit a button locking them out, but the bank doesn't want to be thought of as profiling.

Dreamer

a third-grader can figure out how to beat this "security" system...

Hasn't anyone ever heard of "holding the door" for someone?

Are the security managers in these businesses REALLY that stupid that they think this "security system" will actually work more than once?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
a third-grader can figure out how to beat this "security" system...

Hasn't anyone ever heard of "holding the door" for someone?

Are the security managers in these businesses REALLY that stupid that they think this "security system" will actually work more than once?

In a properly designed system, both doors in a sally port entrance cannot routinely be opened at the same time.

Don Barnett

How Many False Positives Would Such a System Produce?

Just scanning this thread makes me think that such a system at a bank would be a pain in the butt for them because it would constantly be going off. Lots of people have more than just car keys on their persons. For example:

Steel toed work boots and medical inplants (I have a plate in my neck).

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
Spot on....

Just scanning this thread makes me think that such a system at a bank would be a pain in the butt for them because it would constantly be going off. Lots of people have more than just car keys on their persons. For example:

Steel toed work boots and medical inplants (I have a plate in my neck).

I agree with a previous poster that the doors were probably remotely manually locked by an alert bank employee who saw the perps getting ready to enter in ski masks. The "metal detector" theory has too many flaws to be operational for a retail establishment that is open to the general public.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
Uhm, coins? Aren't they made of metal? Don't you have to remove them from your pocket when going through a metal detector?

I'm pretty sure the idea that these devices are activated by a metal detector is just a 'security rumor' to scare off people who are too dumb to understand it can't be so. Retailers make deposits with rolled coins weighing several pounds all the time. There is no way a 'threshold' of 'metal content' could be set that would disallow a P-32, but allow 5lbs of quarters, nickles, dimes, and pennies.

I've concealed a P89 into a bank with such a device on many occasions. Nothing happened. I wasn't imprisoned or denied access, nor was I overwhelmed by a desire to rob the place or kill anyone.

Weird...