• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bank's doors activated by positive metal detector reading

VApatriot

Perhaps that is why the three were allowed to leave? They were not allowed access to the facility but were not unlawfully detained in the process. The bank personnel could not determine criminal intent but in consideration of security refused them access.

If they were wearing ski masks, then they had already committed a felony.

§ 18.2-422. Prohibition of wearing of masks in certain places; exceptions.

It shall be unlawful for any person over sixteen years of age while wearing any mask, hood or other device whereby a substantial portion of the face is hidden or covered so as to conceal the identity of the wearer, to be or appear in any public place, or upon any private property in this Commonwealth without first having obtained from the owner or tenant thereof consent to do so in writing. . . The violation of any provisions of this section shall constitute a Class 6 felony.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
If they where wearing ski masks, then they had already committed a felony.

It shall be unlawful for any person over sixteen years of age while wearing any mask, hood or other device whereby a substantial portion of the face is hidden or covered so as to conceal the identity of the wearer, to be or appear in any public place, or upon any private property in this Commonwealth without first having obtained from the owner or tenant thereof consent to do so in writing. . . The violation of any provisions of this section shall constitute a Class 6 felony.

Point well made.

simmonsjoe

If they were wearing ski masks, then they had already committed a felony.

Doesn't this make it illegal for cancer patients to wear wigs with cut-styles that obscure the face?, or men to dress up like women with makeup on their face? What about someone who's face is bandaged?

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Doesn't this make it illegal for cancer patients to wear wigs with cut-styles that obscure the face?, or men to dress up like women with makeup on their face? What about someone who's face is bandaged?

One of my most hated laws. It also makes hunters that wear masks Felons, old people walking around with dust masks...Felons and people who wear full face helmets and don't take them off when paying for gas...Felons.

It's almost as bad as allowing CHP'ers to carry while bowhunting.

When Bolling was a Senator, I tried to get him to work on it. He said "Oh law enforcement always uses common sense". I haven't liked the idiot since.

Pagan

Since anybody over the age of 16 wearing a mask in public or even on private property (without written consent), unless that person owns or lives on that property; is a felony in Va. I'm surprised the first doors do not lock also. Unless ofcourse it's a traditional holiday, then maybe no citizen arrest.

ufcfanvt

They're legal .... with a Dr's Note (I'm not kidding)
http://law.justia.com/virginia/codes/toc1802000/18.2-422.html
(iv) wearing a mask, hood or other device for bona fide medical reasons upon the advice of a licensed physician or osteopath and carrying on his person an affidavit from the physician or osteopath specifying the medical necessity for wearing the device and the date on which the wearing of the device will no longer be necessary and providing a brief description of the device.

HOWEVER: there is no exception whatsoever for a burqua with the hijab (full face veil). Perhaps we should write Cuccinelli :)

TFred

There's a whole list of exceptions:

However, the provisions of this section shall not apply to persons

(i) wearing traditional holiday costumes;

(ii) engaged in professions, trades, employment or other activities and wearing protective masks which are deemed necessary for the physical safety of the wearer or other persons;

(iii) engaged in any bona fide theatrical production or masquerade ball; or

(iv) wearing a mask, hood or other device for bona fide medical reasons upon

(a) the advice of a licensed physician or osteopath and carrying on his person an affidavit from the physician or osteopath specifying the medical necessity for wearing the device and the date on which the wearing of the device will no longer be necessary and providing a brief description of the device, or

(b) the declaration of a disaster or state of emergency by the Governor in response to a public health emergency where the emergency declaration expressly waives this section, defines the mask appropriate for the emergency, and provides for the duration of the waiver.​

TFred

HOWEVER: there is no exception whatsoever for a burqua with the hijab (full face veil). Perhaps we should write Cuccinelli :)
As for this part... I have no doubt that a judge could be found who would declare the law an unconstitutional violation of the First Amendment for people who wanted to wear a burqua...

TFred

ixtow

Founder's Club Member

Now I'm going to have to wear a bra, a speedo, and a holster with a banana in it...

VApatriot

I left out all the exceptions to the mask law in my original post in order to avoid confusion about this particular case equalling a felony. It looks like that only got things further off topic.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I left out all the exceptions to the mask law in my original post in order to avoid confusion about this particular case equalling a felony. It looks like that only got things further off topic.

18.2-422. Prohibition of wearing of masks in certain places; exceptions. It shall be unlawful for any person over sixteen years of age while wearing any mask, hood or other device whereby a substantial portion of the face is hidden or covered so as to conceal the identity of the wearer, to be or appear in any public place, or upon any private property in this Commonwealth without first having obtained from the owner or tenant thereof consent to do so in writing. However, the provisions of this section shall not apply to persons (i) wearing traditional holiday costumes; (ii) engaged in professions, trades, employment or other activities and wearing protective masks which are deemed necessary for the physical safety of the wearer or other persons; (iii) engaged in any bona fide theatrical production or masquerade ball; or (iv) wearing a mask, hood or other device for bona fide medical reasons upon the advice of a licensed physician or osteopath and carrying on his person an affidavit from the physician or osteopath specifying the medical necessity for wearing the device and the date on which the wearing of the device will no longer be necessary and providing a brief description of the device. The violation of any provisions of this section shall constitute a Class 6 felony.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Notice the law does NOT say Doctors note.

It says Affidavit !

Good luck finding a Doctor that will take time to swear to an Affidavit and have it notarized.

ufcfanvt

(b) the declaration of a disaster or state of emergency by the Governor in response to a public health emergency where the emergency declaration expressly waives this section, defines the mask appropriate for the emergency, and provides for the duration of the waiver.[/INDENT][/INDENT]

Interesting:
My cite (http://law.justia.com/...) didn't have this section in it. It's out-of-date. And I'm sure this happens all the time.
Goes to show that our responsibility as citizens to know the law is an onerous one and this makes our choice of legislators all-the-more-important!

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-422 FTW

davidmcbeth

Banned
I routinely don't take out my metal for courthouses .. when it beeps, I complain about needing to be searched !

The bank would be no different...except they would have to explain why they are bugging a depositor.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Sally ports can work for banks IF activated manually only as needed.

Being held in such a device, would be very frustrating for criminal entrepreneurs.

OC for ME

...no big deal, 10 minutes, 20 tops? What else do ya have to do, wait 20 minutes in line for a teller? I suspect that the device is nothing but a means to manage "traffic flow."