View Poll Results: What kind of smartphone do you have?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • iPhone

10 29.41%
  • Android Based

17 50.00%
  • Blackberry

2 5.88%
  • Windows Mobile Based

3 8.82%
  • Other

2 5.88%

Thread: My New Smartphone

My New Smartphone

I just sold my iPhone 3G on eBay and bought the Samsung Captivate. Wow! What a sweet phone!

I know what some of you are thinking ... "Why didn't you get the iPhone 4?"

The short answer is that I wanted an Android phone because a friend and I have a startup company developing Android software and I felt it would help to use the phone on a daily basis. In the very near future, we will be releasing a guitar chord trainer app (written by my friend) and an adventure game called Monkeys of Doom (written by yours truly).

I am curious what smartphone others use?

John

I voted the Android based, as I plan to get one when "upgrade" comes available in November. Gonna get the Sprint htc EVO
    Last edited by merc460; 08-13-2010 at 02:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by merc460 View Post
    I voted the Android based, as I plan to get one when "upgrade" comes available in November. Gonna get the Sprint htc EVO
    You will LOVE the HTC EVO! It has an overlay called SensUI that is OUTSTANDING! And if you live in a 4G area, it FLIES!!!

Quote Originally Posted by merc460 View Post
    For what it is worth, on the Captivate, www.letstalk.com had it for $50 less than AT&T. They also carry the EVO.

John

If I were upgrading today, I'd be getting the EVO as well.
    "The right of self-defense never ceases. It is among the most sacred, and alike necessary to nations and to individuals."
    - President James Monroe

Quote Originally Posted by Las Vegan View Post
    If I were upgrading today, I'd be getting the EVO as well.
    I have a family plan with AT&T so it was either the Captivate or the iPhone for me but I hear GREAT things about the EVO!

Cool

I upgraded to the Motorola Android back in March.

I seem to of misunderstood the question.

I clicked iPhone, as that is what I currently use.

When I upgrade, I will probably get an Android phone.
    illegal ≠ immoral legal ≠ moral
    [SIZE=1]"I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself. "Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent." - Thomas Jefferson
    G19 Gen 4; Bersa Thunder 380; Sig Sauer P238; Kel-Tec su-16c

I have a motorola cliq from T-mobile... LOVE my Android phone

I dig Android... but maybe I am biased because I believe in open source programming as strongly as 2A rights. So the idea of a manufacturer deciding for me what I can and cannot load onto a piece of hardware does not sit well with me.

I prefer the mental nirvana that results from an open programming environment.

I am a PC. But I don't do Windows(R)

Windows Phone 7. I got to play with it at MSFT product fair a couple weeks ago, and it was awesome. Plus, they're giving each of us one for free...

I have a Samsung Instinct. I love it, I mean really LOVE it. I don't use it as a phone though, but rather I use it as an MP4 player.

I need to get a phone, and I want an HTC Evo. But I am worried about the battery life. I heard it sucks. How it compares to my phone? I have no idea. My phone can play about 1.5-2 hours of video without needing to be plugged in. When I buy a new phone, I need it to have atleast that much battery power as well as the ability to change the battery.

Electronics with built in batteries are a huge pet peeve of mine. I believe all electronics should have easily replaced batteries. Especially things like phones. In my case, I am often times away from a charger for 10-12 hours a day. And I listen to my music for most of that time. If I had an iPhone and I ran out of batteries, I'd be SoL. But with my instinct I can very easily keep a spare battery with me just in case.

I have a Blackberry Curve 8330 from Sprint that I bought last year. I like the trackball and buttons instead of the touchscreen because it's more durable, which I need in my business (construction). I keep it in an Otter Box and use a bluetooth earpiece while driving or walking job sites. It's very durable and reliable, and from what I've read RIM's OS is very secure.

I use my Blackberry for my personal and business email accounts, tracking my billable hours with a $4 app called miTimesheet, web browsing with Bolt and Opera Mini, finding my way with MapQuest 4 Mobile, and managing my accounts with Personal Assistant.

I am very happy with my Blackberry.

Quote Originally Posted by Hef View Post
    I have a Blackberry Curve 8330 from Sprint that I bought last year. I like the trackball and buttons instead of the touchscreen because it's more durable, which I need in my business (construction). I keep it in an Otter Box and use a bluetooth earpiece while driving or walking job sites. It's very durable and reliable, and from what I've read RIM's OS is very secure.

I use my Blackberry for my personal and business email accounts, tracking my billable hours with a $4 app called miTimesheet, web browsing with Bolt and Opera Mini, finding my way with MapQuest 4 Mobile, and managing my accounts with Personal Assistant.

I am very happy with my Blackberry.
    My mother has an ObamaBerry, I mean BlackBerry. It's alright, I still prefer my Instinct because of the bigger, touch sensitive screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack House View Post
    My mother has an ObamaBerry, I mean BlackBerry. It's alright, I still prefer my Instinct because of the bigger, touch sensitive screen.
    Touchscreen phones just won't work for me. They break too easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Hef View Post
    Touchscreen phones just won't work for me. They break too easy.
    Maybe some cheap phone. I have an iPhone and it is very durable.
    illegal ≠ immoral legal ≠ moral
    [SIZE=1]"I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself. "Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent." - Thomas Jefferson
    G19 Gen 4; Bersa Thunder 380; Sig Sauer P238; Kel-Tec su-16c

Founder's Club Member Brass Magnet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by simmonsjoe View Post
    Maybe some cheap phone. I have an iPhone and it is very durable.
    I think the key is capacative (android, iPhone) vs. reisitive touch screens. Capacitive is waayyyyyyy better

I use a Motorola Droid currently. After having it for a few weeks I sold my jailbroken and hacked ipod touch. I've always hated being tied to itunes. I appreciate the fact that I can use my Droid essentially as a jump drive.

The Droid is the best phone I've owned; hands down. Just waiting on the OTA update to 2.2 and flash!

John, there is a really good guitar chord app out there right now that I use; may want to check it out. I think it's one of those things that if there is already a good one, may be hard to break in on. Solo Lite is the one I've got.
    R[ƎVO˩]UTION

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Lex malla, lex nulla

McX
    i got a phone, one of those pay as you go's. it ain't got no steenkin camera, it ain't got no steenkin windows, it ain't got no keyboard, it's just a phone, new concept huh?

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA

Samsung Moment

I have the Samsung Moment and really like it. I do wish the battery lasted longer, but I'm still finding things I can turn off.

Quote Originally Posted by McX View Post
    i got a phone, one of those pay as you go's. it ain't got no steenkin camera, it ain't got no steenkin windows, it ain't got no keyboard, it's just a phone, new concept huh?
    I only need a phone so that if work decides to call me for whatever reason they can get ahold of me. Other than that, phones are wholly useless for me. Might as well get one that I can use for other things too so that I don't have to carry a million gadgets with me.

I am on my second phone, the first was a flip phone. I upgraded to a phone with a 2 mega pixel camera and worked with a bluetooth hands free device in my pickup.
    I don't want any of that extra crap because a phone is for talking with people not playing games or surfing the net or any of that other junk.

Founder's Club Member Brass Magnet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeeper1 View Post
    I am on my second phone, the first was a flip phone. I upgraded to a phone with a 2 mega pixel camera and worked with a bluetooth hands free device in my pickup.
    I don't want any of that extra crap because a phone is for talking with people not playing games or surfing the net or any of that other junk.
    To each their own. Some of us really want or need that "crap".
    R[ƎVO˩]UTION

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Lex malla, lex nulla

Quote Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
    I just sold my iPhone 3G on eBay and bought the Samsung Captivate. Wow! What a sweet phone!

I know what some of you are thinking ... "Why didn't you get the iPhone 4?"

The short answer is that I wanted an Android phone because a friend and I have a startup company developing Android software and I felt it would help to use the phone on a daily basis. In the very near future, we will be releasing a guitar chord trainer app (written by my friend) and an adventure game called Monkeys of Doom (written by yours truly).

I am curious what smartphone others use?

John

Why didnt you get a I phone 4?
    Because sometimes I actually want to be able to hold my phone while I use it!!
    A wise and frugal Government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government.- Thomas Jefferson March 4 1801

Quote Originally Posted by Sheriff View Post
    Motorola DROID X here.
    What is the battery life and is the battery replaceable?