• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Debate: Felonious Carry

anmut

Submitted for your debate a thought I had the other day:

Disregarding violent offenders that have been convicted of a felony, should non-violent felonious offenders have their rights taken away even after penitence has been served?

Example:
Should a man convicted of tax evasion/drug possession/multiple OWI's be denied an "inalienable right" after he has served his time in prison and/or paid retribution?

I would suggest that, no, a man should not be denied access to his right to bear arms unless his conviction was directly related to the abuse of that right. I believe that this practice of denying the right to vote and to bear arms post felony conviction and post penitence is completely unconstitutional.

Thoughts? And stay on topic for once... :)

M

McX

so the guy who lifted 16 grand off of me should be allowed to own/carry?

kwikrnu

Banned
In Tennessee there is a case of a man who was charged with a felony drug charge. He served his time and was pardoned by the Governor. The State of Tennessee refuses to issue a carry permit. The case was filed April 28 2010 in Davidson County Chancery Court in Nashville Tennessee. Here is the complaint.

I would rate the outcome as high because the attorney Raybin, handling the case is well known and the man challenging the case makes a decent salary as a nurse to afford the litigation.

M

McX

no thanks kwik, he's a life time scumbag, associates with scumbags, lives with scumbags, rap sheet a long as my arm. he's one of the reasons i carry. he should have no rights what so ever as far as i'm concerned.

kwikrnu

Banned
no thanks kwik, he's a life time scumbag, associates with scumbags, lives with scumbags, rap sheet a long as my arm. he's one of the reasons i carry. he should have no rights what so ever as far as i'm concerned.

I know what you are saying and I understand. I think your problem is with the legislators, police, and the courts.

lance galloway

Yesterday I was at Arbys in the drive thru just got my food and was about to leave then a guy opens the window and stops me and asks what is Wisconsin Carry ( he had seen the sign on the door of my pickup ) and no one was behind me in line so I told him and gave him a pamphlet we talk'd for about 5 mins He tells me he would like to carry but he can't even own a gun becouse he has a felony he said it was not a non violent felony and it was some time ago and now he feels he has lost the the right to self defense he said it's just not right.

lance galloway

I also have a friend who has a felony he got it when he was young he is I want to say now in his late 30s it also was a non violent felony something to do with writing bad checks or something like that he has paid for his crimes he has cleaned up his life and is now married and has kids he wants to show his kids how to shoot and firearm safety but he can't.

lance galloway

Submitted for your debate a thought I had the other day:

Disregarding violent offenders that have been convicted of a felony, should non-violent felonious offenders have their rights taken away even after penitence has been served?

Example:
Should a man convicted of tax evasion/drug possession/multiple OWI's be denied an "inalienable right" after he has served his time in prison and/or paid retribution?

I would suggest that, no, a man should not be denied access to his right to bear arms unless his conviction was directly related to the abuse of that right. I believe that this practice of denying the right to vote and to bear arms post felony conviction and post penitence is completely unconstitutional.

Thoughts? And stay on topic for once... :)

I agree 1000000%

kawisixer01

I typically don't go around advertising it to the world, but i was once a convicted felon. When I was 16 me and a buddy went into a vehicle storage lot where they kept new vehicles with the keys in the ignition and unlocked at all times. The buddy was always a bad influence who was in and out of foster homes and group homes. I was a mislead follower when I was younger. Tough family life blah blah blah and all that so I was easy to go along with people to gain acceptance. We had went in there multiple times just for the rush of driving around a vehicle that wasn't ours and such but had never damaged anything and always put the vehicles back where we found them. Well this time my buddy decided to play bumper cars and completely totalled two brand new SUVs. We were later ratted out by another buddy and busted. My cohort decided to try to blame another friend that wasn't even there. Feeling terrible about our other innocent buddy getting into trouble I went in and immediately confessed and set the record straight to get the charges dropped against the guy who was falsley accused. I ended up in a plea bargain that stated once I was done with probation without anymore trouble, served 120 days in jail, and paid restitution fully I could get my case re-opened and dropped down to misdomeanor charges. Well I served my jail time (huber getting out to go to high school), and ended up dropping out of high school. I still didn't get it...but I came around. I ended up getting my HSED and actually liking going to school. I kept going and got two degrees and am working on a third. I have a very very good job and paid off my restitution as quickly as i could a few years ago. Once I was done repaying the restitution I immediately got legal council and filed to have the case re-opened. The DA was very surprised and pleased that I had followed through and become successful young man. The case was quickly put through the court and my felony convictions were removed and re-entered as misdomeanors. I have bought multiple guns in the years since. I never have had the thought to commit a crime with a gun and hunt as much as I can, enjoying a sport I never though I would be able to do again when I was 17. I ended up coming around, I vote, I pay my taxes on time, and own my $190,000 house free and clear. I volunteer when I'm not saddled with tasks at work and always try do the right thing even when nobody is watching. I guess my point is that just because someone was stupid enough to commit a felony status charge when they were young, dumb, and full of cum doesn't mean they are going to be that way for life. people do change and poeple should have a chance to prove that and regain their rights once they have made good strides. I had that felony hang over my head for years. i got refused jobs and everything else over it. I was lucky, apparently the DA's do not make any types of the deals that I got anymore, and I'm thankful every day for it.