• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My wife... priceless

daddy4count

This weekend I am taking two of my sons on a backpacking trip. Short, quick trip in GPNP to do some fishing and swimming over the hot weekend... the last chance to get the young'ns up the trail before my attention turns to archery hunting rather than fun time hiking.

This morning I was finishing my packing, and getting ready to leave for work.

Today also happens to be one of those days when the fog in my head just will not clear... so before I leave for work I let her know that I am not carrying my XD with me.

She mistakenly assumed I meant on the weekend pack trip... not just to work.

She frowned and spat, "You aren't taking the dog with you. You DAMN WELL BETTER TAKE A GUN or you aren't taking my kids!"

I don't think the warm fuzzy I felt was conveyed to her after that... but I assured her that it would be on my leg, per SOP in the woods.

Lovenox

When my wife and I were dating we lived in apartments in Olympia we received a call from my sister saying that we were being attacked (9-11). I awoke to find the Twin Towers burning and needless to say I was glued to the TV. I heard some stuff being shuffled around and Amanda came back and said "I've got a gun at most all the windows here is your pistol."
Needless to say we are now married and she has my children. Amanda, thy name is woman.

Last edited:

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
When my wife and I were dating we lived in apartments in Olympia we received a call from my sister saying that we were being attacked (9-11). I awoke to find the Twin Towers burning and needless to say I was glued to the TV. I heard some stuff being shuffled around and Amanda came back and said "I've got a gun at most all the windows here is your pistol."
Needless to say we are now married and she has my children. Amanda, thy name is woman.

I was already married, but I will share that day and the following days, weeks, months.

We got a call very early that day from the East Coast. It was from my brother-in-law (married my sister). He simply said to turn on the tv and he hung up. I was still laying in bed, my wife had answered the phone. She told me what was said. We looked at each other and I grabbed the remote for the bedroom tv.

You see my BIL is a Secret Service Agent, at that time he was on former POTUS personal protection detail Bill Clinton. My wife and I looked at each other and knew that something was up. In my mind and my wife's we assumed that there was an attempt on the life of Bush.

We were wrong.

Of course when we turned on the tv we saw something different.

The next month my wife got another call and orders. You see since college she had been a naval reservist to pay for college and now they were giving her orders to be in Everett (at that time we lived in Vancouver, WA) in 48 hours. Her rate at the time was a radar tech on a cruiser. However, she was being called up to be security/police. Our daughters were 8 and 6 at the time. Mom was the school secretary. It was a bit of a shock to the family. Fortunately we had a good support network and she would only be a few hours away. For the next year she was gone.

I am sure many others were called up and shipped out, and to you our thanks.

I hope I never get another phone call like that blue sky morning in September.

Last edited:

Aryk45XD

Aren't they adorable!?

That's an awesome feeling, huh? My ex was terrified of guns, but always made sure I had mine. My brother and mother are the same way too. At least they always made sure they were protected in some way.
On another note, I remember that moment coming over the radio when I was doing laundry with a friend below deck. Needless to say, I woke him up quick, we rushed to the main room and went to war. I couldn't carry on the boat unless I was on security detail.

CaptainAttila

The next month my wife got another call and orders. You see since college she had been a naval reservist to pay for college and now they were giving her orders to be in Everett (at that time we lived in Vancouver, WA) in 48 hours. Her rate at the time was a radar tech on a cruiser. However, she was being called up to be security/police. Our daughters were 8 and 6 at the time. Mom was the school secretary. It was a bit of a shock to the family. Fortunately we had a good support network and she would only be a few hours away. For the next year she was gone.

I am sure many others were called up and shipped out, and to you our thanks.

My team was called up to mobilize all those folks. Staying in state, we were lucky too.

killchain

I was 19 at the time and had spent the night at a buddy's house. We were woken up to his Dad beating on the door and yelling that we were under attack. They didn't have cable TV, but they had radio.

Got a call from the girlfriend on the way home, she was home alone and asked if I would come get her. All I really remember of the car ride was this:

Her: *turns to me* What's going to happen to us?
Me: *long pause* I don't know.

She stayed with me for a week. Didn't have a handgun at the time, but I had the Mossberg ready to go. Didn't know squat about defending my home or any of that jazz at the time. Didn't even know there were "AR-15's." I was a clueless kid with a "transplanted family", haha.

A little while later, a friend emails me from the front lines telling me about how they don't have enough manpower. At a family reunion, my cousin who is a tanker gives me "the talk."

I jumped on the plane and haven't looked back, haven't regretted it for anything at all.

I'm a bit older now. My service taught me some things:
1) Never trust anyone except yourself and your wife.
2) Be civil and kind, but always have a plan to kill everyone you meet. They may try to harm you.
3) Always have a plan B.
4) Always have a plan C.
5) Be kind to your family and tell them you love them. You may not get a second chance.

Oh, don't forget this one:

6) Try not to call your wife right before the bad guys start mortaring the FOB. Went kind of like this:
"Yeah, today it was kind of hot, I did my lau- *BATHOOM brattatataaaa* *BOOM* I've got to go, right now, I love you. *click*"

We laugh about it now, but we didn't for a long time.