Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: glock 34/35 vs a xd tatical 40cal/9mm

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Kansas city, Kansas United States
    Posts
    334

    glock 34/35 vs a xd tatical 40cal/9mm

    i wanting to get a longer barrel pistol for my IDPA matchs. and that my gun has a ported barrel. which would disqualify me in a IDPA match. so i considering 2 types of guns. the glock 34 or 35. which are same gun, just different caliber(34=9mm,35=40cal.) and the XD tatical xd in same callibers(9mm or 40 cal)

    what makes me think of the glocks: is the 6in barrel, and the front of the slide is cut out.

    and for the XD: it has a shorter barrel(5inch) but i use to the xd and i like the xd series.

    as far as the caliber. i use to the 40 cal. so i think about sticking with the same caliber as i use to shooting. but i thought about 9mm for less recoil and once i get use to the gun i prob could shoot a bit faster. another think i trying to consider with caliber. another thing that makes me think about sticking with a 40 cal. is not having to buy 2 different types of ammo. i have to get 9mm for my IDPA gun that i get and 40 cal for my xd 40 cal(ported barrel) that i use to carry on a daily basis.

    so my questions are, what is your guys opionions on the glocks vs. XD. should i stick with the xd even though it has a shorter barrel and no slide cut outs? and info on how much or how little that slide cut out is helpfull. i never even heard of a gun having a slide cut out besides ones that have a ported barrel to let the gases escape from the ports in the barrel.

    or combined do you think that if you were in my shoes. would you ditch your xd for the glock specifically for the inch more of barrel and the slide cut out.(and i hope you base it off of what you thinks important, not if your a glock or xd fan. i dont buy my gun b/c of favortism, i would shoot a glock just as much as a xd if i feel i will like it beter.i guess it is favortism to naturally want the xd since i like it. but i mean i wont ignore another gun if its a beter choice and i can shoot it as comfortably as my xd) main thing i guess, i like info on is if someone knows more about the slide cut outs. i think you have to shoot the gun to know if thats overrated or underrated, and i havent got to shoot one so i out of luck on the shooting experience.. i could see it going either way. i sure it dosent hurt, but i could see it also being not much of a differenct and that i should just stick with the xd.

    caliber wise i like the 40 cal like i said. and i can handle the recoil. but i could see the 9mm would even be easier to control and multiple shots would be faster. while i like input on that if you guys thought you switch just for the easier handling and faster times during a match. but thats just a side note for me, i just going to have to get my hands on a 9mm and shoot them both and decide.

    and one more thing. someone told me it has a wider trigger then the other glocks or xds? is that been an issue to others?

  2. #2
    Regular Member simmonsjoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mattaponi, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    1,664

    For IDPA

    Your XD is ESP, a tougher category than SSP.

    Your Glock 35 actually has a 5.3" barrel. (the 17L is 6" but not IDPA legal)

    If you like 40 cal, by all means stick with it. If you handload cost won't be too bad. If you buy all your rounds factory it will be pricey.

    Benefit of the G35 is that you can download your reloads, and make IDPA power factor and USPSA Minor, or use standard power loads and make USPSA Major power. This makes it very versatile. G35 also has lower bore axis.

    Downsides of the G35, XD has much better trigger(my opinion) and smaller grip-circumference. XD is also heavier in stock form (generally a benefit in competition). You can add weight to the G35, but it would then be ESP.

    Your mileage may vary.
    Last edited by simmonsjoe; 08-13-2010 at 07:51 PM.
    illegal ≠ immoral legal ≠ moral
    [SIZE=1]"I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself. "Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent." - Thomas Jefferson
    G19 Gen 4; Bersa Thunder 380; Sig Sauer P238; Kel-Tec su-16c

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Mo.
    Posts
    279
    Quote Originally Posted by simmonsjoe View Post
    Your XD is ESP, a tougher category than SSP.

    Your Glock 35 actually has a 5.3" barrel. (the 17L is 6" but not IDPA legal)

    If you like 40 cal, by all means stick with it. If you handload cost won't be too bad. If you buy all your rounds factory it will be pricey.

    Benefit of the G35 is that you can download your reloads, and make IDPA power factor and USPSA Minor, or use standard power loads and make USPSA Major power. This makes it very versatile. G35 also has lower bore axis.

    Downsides of the G35, XD has much better trigger(my opinion) and smaller grip-circumference. XD is also heavier in stock form (generally a benefit in competition). You can add weight to the G35, but it would then be ESP.

    Your mileage may vary.
    I thought you and I covered this already.

    I agree. Stick with what works for you in caliber and by all means if you have the ability to shoot one before you make a decision, then do so. Shoot them and compare them to leave fewer question marks.

    As a Glock 34 shooter, I can give you the input all day long, but it does you little good until you've actually fired one. And firing a brand new one won't do you any good, you'll need to wrap your paws around one with over 500 rounds through it so it's loose enough to be smooth...same with the XD's.

    The 34 and 35 will be lighter than the XD in similar length, so keep that in mind. Some folks just prefer the XD. I say you cannot go wrong with either one, they're both excellent shooters and will easily out shoot the operator's abilities.

    I have twins, so CALL ME AND BORROW A 34!
    Last edited by heresyourdipstickjimmy; 08-18-2010 at 01:05 AM.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Kansas city, Kansas United States
    Posts
    334
    Quote Originally Posted by heresyourdipstickjimmy View Post
    I thought you and I covered this already.

    I agree. Stick with what works for you in caliber and by all means if you have the ability to shoot one before you make a decision, then do so. Shoot them and compare them to leave fewer question marks.

    As a Glock 34 shooter, I can give you the input all day long, but it does you little good until you've actually fired one. And firing a brand new one won't do you any good, you'll need to wrap your paws around one with over 500 rounds through it so it's loose enough to be smooth...same with the XD's.

    The 34 and 35 will be lighter than the XD in similar length, so keep that in mind. Some folks just prefer the XD. I say you cannot go wrong with either one, they're both excellent shooters and will easily out shoot the operator's abilities.

    I have twins, so CALL ME AND BORROW A 34!
    we did,i just thought it wouldnt hurt to see if anyone else has any advice on them.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Mo.
    Posts
    279
    Quote Originally Posted by goalseter88 View Post
    we did,i just thought it wouldnt hurt to see if anyone else has any advice on them.
    Ha ha...no problem. Wife's out Saturday, so I'm free if you're in town and want to shoot. I decided I'm not hitting the 3-gun Saturday due to the temps and humidity.

    Be happy to bring the Dan Wesson's with me too.

    Not sure if anyone has a tactical XD I can borrow so you can shoot them side by side, but I can ask if I have enough advanced notice. You never know who might have what I need to borrow. Might wind up stuck with a 4 inch XD, but it's an XD none the less and will still give you a good comparison.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •