• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Going to open carry tomorrow for thie 1st time some question

ArnoldsPupil

So Ive been CC for 20 years.
Been lurking on these boards and a few more for some time. Read lots of threads sometimes confusing.
I picked up a new OC holster and double mag holder today at Stoddard's in Douglasville. Nice place.

So tomorrow I'm going to go to china mart and Publix in Douglasville and maybe Home depot to try open carry.

[/img][/img][/img]A few questions and please be gentle as I'm trying to gather a whole lot of info so as not to get into trouble and make a bad name for you fellow gun owners who are exercising their rights.

My wife by the way asked me why I would want to OC when Ive CC for so long and loose the edge of being concealed. I explained that I want to make people more aware of their rights and exercise mine but she has a point about having the edge. She says shes not going anywhere with me doing this but I know its the wine...lol...Guess Ill take my daughter

Question one:
do you think it is giving away my edge by OCing?

Two:
When I get to wally world or the other places does anyone have the right to question my ability to OC and ask for my GFL and am I complied to respond?

Three:
If approached by LEO what is my response if they ask for my GFL or ID?

Four.
Where can I get GCO cards and info to hand out?

I know Ive read hundreds of posts and the answers are there but a few answers to get started will really help.

Ill be OCing a Glock 21 SF in a Tagua right handed with a thum break?

Bring it..
G

Attachments

• DSC02279.jpg
    DSC02279.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 149

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
So Ive been CC for 20 years.
Been lurking on these boards and a few more for some time. Read lots of threads sometimes confusing.
I picked up a new OC holster and double mag holder today at Stoddard's in Douglasville. Nice place.

So tomorrow I'm going to go to china mart and Publix in Douglasville and maybe Home depot to try open carry.

[/img][/img][/img]A few questions and please be gentle as I'm trying to gather a whole lot of info so as not to get into trouble and make a bad name for you fellow gun owners who are exercising their rights.

My wife by the way asked me why I would want to OC when Ive CC for so long and loose the edge of being concealed. I explained that I want to make people more aware of their rights and exercise mine but she has a point about having the edge. She says shes not going anywhere with me doing this but I know its the wine...lol...Guess Ill take my daughter

Question one:

Two:
When I get to wally world or the other places does anyone have the right to question my ability to OC and ask for my GFL and am I complied to respond?

Three:

Four.

I know Ive read hundreds of posts and the answers are there but a few answers to get started will really help.

Bring it..
G

Hello! And welcome! I Love new OC'ers! :)

to question 1: When you open carry you don't need an edge because your teeth are already showing. Open carry deters the crime before it is ever committed. Is it better to have someone try to rob you, only to have you be able to defend yourself, or is it better for that person to think that they should move onto a weaker target? IE one without a handgun?!

#2) Well, I live in Maine and I'm sure that someone from Florida will be able to answer this MUCH better than I can, but I'll look for the statutes and post them if I can find them in a timely manner.

#3 and 4 are the same as #2. If you go to www.maineopencarry.org and read WHO OPEN CARRY it will show you a whole new world that you've been missing out on for the last 20 years! :) Happy OC'ing!

eye95

1. What edge? The difference between OC and CC is the same as the difference between uniformed police and undercover police (or marked cars and unmarked cars). The presence of the former prevents crime. The latter gives the element of surprise in retaliating for it. I'd rather prevent crime.

2. Ordinary citizens have Freedom of Speech and may ask you anything. You get to choose how you will reply. I suggest being informative and civil.

3. I don't know the law where you come from. In AL, all you'd have to give is your name and address (and, theoretically, only if they have RAS that you were involved in a crime. OC does not give RAS.)

4. I don't know.

Good luck. Make sure you know the law.

On edit: I have never, ever had a single problem in any Wal-Mart that I have OCed in. I was in the Ann St Wal-Mart today.

Last edited:

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
DO NOT TAKE YOUR DAUGHTER!!!!
post your state,
what is GFL?
wally world is a 50/50 split of support for OC, not recomended.
order coffee at starbucks, get it, and leave.

Hey, there isn't really any other way to *get ready* than to do it, as long as he knows the laws. The human interaction can't be shown or taught on a forum. He needs to get out and talk to people, see how they react and learn.

I know that up here in Maine I hardly EVER get asked anything, probably because I'm so young, but my father gets asked questions by EVERYONE when he OC's. He's never had a bad experience OC'ing mind you! Of course I do live in "The County" as people from Maine call it.

ArnoldsPupil

post your state,
what is GFL?

LOLOL
I prob will take her...
Georgia
I dont drink coffee

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
post your state,
what is GFL?

LOLOL
I prob will take her...
Georgia
I dont drink coffee
I don't know why I thought you were in Florida? Anyways. I would take your daughter! If she's young(er) than that takes away the evil astigmatism of OC. Especially when they are wide-eyed and curious! People really warm to kids and than once they see that your carrying it's a non-issue. If I were you I'd just act the same way I would if I wasn't carrying... 85%+ of people don't even notice your carrying when you do this.

HvyMtl

Please be polite. Several out there have no knowledge but what they see on TV.

Smile, be polite, and answer the questions calmly. It will, 1) have the ill informed relax, 2) show open carry permit holders are not evil, 3) may change people's perspectives.

Expect to be asked if you are police. Expect people to be scared. Expect someone to negatively react.

Make sure it is 100% legal to open carry where you plan to. The laws can be confusing. Do not forget to add such things as "gun free zones" such as around schools, possibly churches, government office areas, etc. Safe open carry starts with you and your knowledge.

IF a manager or representative of a store confronts you: Be polite, state you have a permit, and if they ask you to leave, do so.

1245A Defender

human shields just dont work!!

I don't know why I thought you were in Florida? Anyways. I would take your daughter! If she's young(er) than that takes away the evil astigmatism of OC. Especially when they are wide-eyed and curious! People really warm to kids and than once they see that your carrying it's a non-issue. If I were you I'd just act the same way I would if I wasn't carrying... 85%+ of people don't even notice your carrying when you do this.

many OCers have been accosted by the cops with daughters in tow,
1 guy carrying his young daughter was knocked down and beaten by the cops in front of the cop shop!
these are not things you should want your children to see!
my research says that Georgia isnt even an open carry friendly state!
i assume your GFL is a CC permit, that also allows OC.
drinking coffee is not the point of starbucks,, it is their support of your 2 A rights in their store!!
make sure you have a good recorder running the whole time you are out in public!
take a adult friend with you, not kids.

ArnoldsPupil

I OC'd 1st time No problems

Did the Wal Mart in Douglasville with the wife and daughter for about 30 minutes getting kitty food using the money center putting cash on the prepaid card. Then went to La Fiesta for lunch and to food Depot for some wine. Nobody noticed my Glock 21 SF at 4:30 position. Said hello to both greeters at each end and nobody batted and eye.

Asked my wife "you didnt even notice I was OCing did you. She says duh I noticed when you got in the truck to leave the house" Glad she didnt give me a hard time. Even little Ashleigh said dad your guns poking out of your pants.....

Felt like everyone would be staring and police would be following me but the feeling went away and I will do it more now.

Also applied for my GFL on friday @ 4:30pm payed about $84 total and got it in the mail today 5 business days...that's fast...

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
Did the Wal Mart in Douglasville with the wife and daughter for about 30 minutes getting kitty food using the money center putting cash on the prepaid card. Then went to La Fiesta for lunch and to food Depot for some wine. Nobody noticed my Glock 21 SF at 4:30 position. Said hello to both greeters at each end and nobody batted and eye.

Asked my wife "you didnt even notice I was OCing did you. She says duh I noticed when you got in the truck to leave the house" Glad she didnt give me a hard time. Even little Ashleigh said dad your guns poking out of your pants.....

Felt like everyone would be staring and police would be following me but the feeling went away and I will do it more now.

Also applied for my GFL on friday @ 4:30pm payed about $84 total and got it in the mail today 5 business days...that's fast...

Glad everything went well! Like I said, just go about your business as you would normally and the typical person won't even notice!

ArnoldsPupil

Thanks all for thi info ect. Just went again to Michaels craft store and Borders OC'ing again for the second time..No problems...No issues...g

1245A Defender

glad its all gone good for you!

thats a fast carry permit,, make sure you get a recorder!! before you wish you had one!!!

since9

Campaign Veteran
Question one:

The only "edge" has with CC is concealment. I can see only two situations in which this might help you.

The first is when you're in a group of people, such as in a bank, and a number of gunmen armed with automatic or semi-automatic rifles enter the area. If you're OC, then you become a target, but if you're CC, you're just one of the crowd. Either way, this isn't the time to draw and begin firing.

The second is if you're infiltrating an area of known bad guys, but this is something undercover law-enforcement officials do, not honest law-abiding citizens who carry for self-defense.

When I CC it's not because it gives me any "edge." It's because I'll be in a situation where OC would be either inappropriate or possibly unwelcome.

When I need an "edge" that edge is the ability to rapidly draw and fire at a moment's notice, such as when I go to the gas/convenience store at night. I'm not the fastest gun in the West, but I'm about twice as fast with my OC rig than I am with my CC rig. The additional "edge" OC gives me is that if someone were hanging out in the parking lot casing the joint, and they see me OCing, they're far less likely to rob the place, at least while I'm inside.

Two:

In nearly all states, if you're on private property they have the right to ask you to leave, and if you don't, you're guilty of criminal tresspassing.

Provided you're carrying in accordance with the laws in your state, no one except a law enforcement officer has the right to stop or detain you. They can question you all you want, but you're under no obligation to say anything.

Three:

Comply! Whether their actions are correct or even legal in your state or not, they're still law enforcement officers. If they're crossing the line, file a complaint with their supervisors after the fact.

Four.

You mean the business cards with the basic set of your state's laws printed on them? Make your own! It's good research. When you're ready to order, simply Google "design your own business cards online." I used Zazzle.com. Cheap, easy, and quick.

I've yet to give out any of mine. The only two questions I've been asked in six months of solid OCing is "why are you carrying a gun?" and "do you have a permit for that?" The best answer for the first is "personal protection" and the best answer for the second is "not in the State of Colorado." A variation on the latter was "don't you need a concealed carry permit for that?" to which I responded, "not if it's not concealed."

Carry on!

since9

Campaign Veteran
1 guy carrying his young daughter was knocked down and beaten by the cops in front of the cop shop!
drinking coffee is not the point of starbucks,, it is their support of your 2 A rights in their store!!
make sure you have a good recorder running the whole time you are out in public!

I'm sorry, but I simply must respond to this, as it makes OC out to be an experience more like a war zone.

Yes, if you live in a state where you're likely to be tackled by an LEO, then OC is more an exercise in 2A rights than it is simply ensuring you and your family are protected on an outing. If this is the case, perhaps having the kids in tow isn't the best idea, and I'd definately carry a recorder.

On the other hand, if you live in a state like Virginia, Colorado, or Idaho, I wouldn't worry about this scenario happening. In fact, probably the best thing you can do is to simply be well-groomed and nicely dressed. Have a good time with your daughter, hold hands with your wife - enjoy! If you do encounter an LEO, simply smile, nod, and carry on.

Hendu024

Chill out

You should probably calm down a little bit.

VAopencarry

I didn't see this mentioned. OP - businesses/property owners have rights too and they can tell you no OC/guns allowed and ask you to leave.

Last edited:

heresyourdipstickjimmy

Hello! And welcome! I Love new OC'ers! :)

to question 1: When you open carry you don't need an edge because your teeth are already showing. Open carry deters the crime before it is ever committed. Is it better to have someone try to rob you, only to have you be able to defend yourself, or is it better for that person to think that they should move onto a weaker target? IE one without a handgun?!

#2) Well, I live in Maine and I'm sure that someone from Florida will be able to answer this MUCH better than I can, but I'll look for the statutes and post them if I can find them in a timely manner.

#3 and 4 are the same as #2. If you go to www.maineopencarry.org and read WHO OPEN CARRY it will show you a whole new world that you've been missing out on for the last 20 years! :) Happy OC'ing!

#1 is not always true. There are some falsehoods involved in that thought process that all of us as carriers (I know it sounds like a disease) should be aware of. From a combat perspective, and I know that criminals don't always think this fast, OC can become hazardous as a BG will be able to readily identify YOU as an individual who can respond with the kind of force that will not allow him or her to achieve the intended goal.

Picture this: You're OC'ing in a Wally World. You're in the middle of the grocery section when you hear shots ring out close to your location. You have no immediate emergency exit (if you shop at Wally World enough, you already know how to get out the back through staff entries). In an attempt to get through the store to an exit you expose yourself to said BG and are identified as having a firearm by said BG. BG now has a choice to make: engage you and take you out or take the risk that you'll take out said BG first if you're let go. You're a threat to said BG, the logical choice is to take out the threat...but BG's don't operate in a logical manner most times.

The second version of that is that it's an attempt at suicide by cop. Too chicken to do it themselves, so they'll commit a violent crime to get someone to shoot them. Since said BG can ID you as carrying a firearm you're considered a LEO in their mind and they'll attempt to get you to engage to meet that goal.

I don't know about you, but I certainly don't want said BG taking me out and securing my firearm to use against others. Probably why I stress that there's a time and place for OC and CCW, hopefully you have them both at your disposal.

We fight like we train, so train to survive!