• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Westland Gas Station Customer helps break up gas station holdup

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator

PDinDetroit

Kicka$$

If he was carrying open would this had happened in the first place?

Yes, because it was the LADY who was 33 WEEKS PREGNANT who was the target. Now, if she was Open Carrying that crook wouldn't have been anywhere near her. A momma bear, armed with black talons, would protect her offspring at all costs and even predators in the natural world know this!

Pun WAS intended.

SheepboT

He left his car there? AHAHHAHAHAH, no matter how many you put in jail they will never learn.

Whats even worse is that he drives a nicer car than I do, heck he probably stole that too.

Bailenforcer

Yes! Typically criminals are focused on the prize not what happens around them. This is evidenced by the hundreds of times each year some dumb criminals commits a crime right in front of uniformed officers in this country. Those who watch shows like Cops have seen similar stupidity where a criminal never notices a cop while he is in the commission of a crime. One has to remember despite the Media portraying criminals as victims of the system, or super intellectuals gone bad, the fact is the average convict has an eight grade and even less of an education. I have dealt with them and I have yet to find one I would consider intelligent. Common sense would indicate the intelligent ones wouldn't get caught, or would find a way to make a living with far less risk involved.

Kicka$$

If he was carrying open would this had happened in the first place?

Bailenforcer

Hmmm a gun toting and pointing Psychopath threatening to murder a pregnant women? Sounds like he's lucky the carry gun didn't shoot to protect the woman from the deranged psychopath. It would have been covered under the defense of other act. He is damn lucky.

Yes, because it was the LADY who was 33 WEEKS PREGNANT who was the target. Now, if she was Open Carrying that crook wouldn't have been anywhere near her. A momma bear, armed with black talons, would protect her offspring at all costs and even predators in the natural world know this!

Pun WAS intended.

PDinDetroit

Hmmm a gun toting and pointing Psychopath threatening to murder a pregnant women? Sounds like he's lucky the carry gun didn't shoot to protect the woman from the deranged psychopath. It would have been covered under the defense of other act. He is damn lucky.

He would have been protecting 2 lives, 33 weeks is just about ready to POP.

According to the story, the scenario was the following (high-level):

1. Perp approaches pregnant woman in car
2. Perp pulls gun and demands money
3. Pregnant woman hands over money
4. Perp then cocks the gun

Any reasonable person would have assumed at that step 4, the CPL Holder could have used deadly force to prevent the imminent death of or imminent great bodily harm to another individual. This would be a CLEAR and CONVINCING case of an act of self-defense justifying the application of deadly force according to MCL 780.972 Section 2 (1)(a).

http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-780-972

Last edited:

Sefner

He would have been protecting 2 lives, 33 weeks is just about ready to POP.

According to the story, the scenario was the following (high-level):

1. Perp approaches pregnant woman in car
2. Perp pulls gun and demands money
3. Pregnant woman hands over money
4. Perp then cocks the gun

Any reasonable person would have assumed at that step 4, the CPL Holder could have used deadly force to prevent the imminent death of or imminent great bodily harm to another individual. This would be a CLEAR and CONVINCING case of an act of self-defense justifying the application of deadly force according to MCL 780.972 Section 2 (1)(a).

http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-780-972

I think deadly force would be justifiable at step 2. The situation occurred at night, hard to see the hammer. Also it could have been a double action weapon. Obviously deadly force is more justifiable at step 4, but shootings have been ruled justified for less than step 2.

WARCHILD

Flame away, but this is one scenario where I would have gladly played "mall ninja" and shot the guy "without" any verbal warning. The minute he cocked the gun, it showed his possible intent....my intent, protect the innocent, pull bang switch; danger ended.

JMO

Jblack44

Right around the corner from me. Armed robbery middle of the afternoon. :( Any time, any place!! Kudo's to the LAC who stepped up and saved the life of that woman. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PDinDetroit

Flame away, but this is one scenario where I would have gladly played "mall ninja" and shot the guy "without" any verbal warning. The minute he cocked the gun, it showed his possible intent....my intent, protect the innocent, pull bang switch; danger ended.

JMO

No flame necessary. I stated the position I did as I would not have taken the risk to this lady and her unborn child or myself by giving verbal warning. I would have shot to stop the threat.

I hope to never use my firearms in self-defense, but I have made the decision to if the need arises.