• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry age at 18?

AZTANK

Hi all,
I'm new here so let's start off, I'm 18 and i'm a unarmed security guard-

I've shot some hand guns before nothing new to me but i'm just asking where to start!
My boss said it's better pay for armed..so why not..but it's also not about the money being in Mesa is...you know...ha

Can i buy a hand gun at the age of 18?

Just to make sure I can open carry age at 18 with a hip hoster?

Thanks.. :)

*1911_man*

Hi all,
I'm new here so let's start off, I'm 18 and i'm a unarmed security guard-

I've shot some hand guns before nothing new to me but i'm just asking where to start!
My boss said it's better pay for armed..so why not..but it's also not about the money being in Mesa is...you know...ha

Can i buy a hand gun at the age of 18?

Just to make sure I can open carry age at 18 with a hip hoster?

Thanks.. :)

You can only buy a handgun private party, not from and FFL holder/dealer.
And you can carry it legally with a hip holster, im 19 and carry everyday.

backpage.com is a good place to buy a handgun, although alot of the people require you to be 21 for whatever made up reason they may have.

xmanhockey7

Since you do carry everyday could you please tell me the different open carry laws there? I'm from Michigan and will have to go down south at some point in time for an internship and I thought Arizona might be a good state. I was wondering about the pistol free zones and other laws that may apply. I am only 18 right now so that is the only way I could carry.

Last edited:

*1911_man*

Since you do carry everyday could you please tell me the different open carry laws there? I'm from Michigan and will have to go down south at some point in time for an internship and I thought Arizona might be a good state. I was wondering about the pistol free zones and other laws that may apply. I am only 18 right now so that is the only way I could carry.

For the most part, you can carry anywhere that doesnt have a sign, or places that serve alcohol, and on school grounds, and any government building, such as post offices, court houses etc etc.

AZTANK

Okay thanks!

How do I go about getting a handgun from a private party?

What are the things I should know?

Thanks alot!
:banana:

*1911_man*

Just make sure you make the purchase in public, but not too populated, people tend to call police on 2 people swinging guns around. And make sure they know you are 18, and not 21. Few days ago i drove 250 miles to meet a guy to buy a gun, then i got there and he said no since i wasnt 21. Needless to say i was pretty mad, 500 miles round trip for absolutely nothing. Just use common sense. i also suggest not going alone, too many people would like to rob, or hurt you, since they know youll have cash on you.

AZTANK

Thanks alot for the help :D

So when buying from a private party it's just hand over money then you get the gun? or am i missing something :confused:

:shocker:

Phoenix David

Yes you can carry the gun in a car if you are 18, however you can't conceal it till you are 21, don't ask why it just is. and if you ask why I'll tell you that Google is your friend. hehe and AzCDLFred might pop in and he has all the laws real handy.

When buying from a private party you give them money they give you a gun, just like an other sale of property, some people will want a receipt some won't, the law is silent on that.

AZTANK

@Phoenix David
Thanks!
-

When buying from a private party i wont run into any issues down the road right?

Phoenix David

@Phoenix David
Thanks!
-

When buying from a private party i wont run into any issues down the road right?

You shouldn't as the Police here are usually quite familiar with Arizona gun laws.

Just as a FYI I'd get Alan Korwin's book "Arizona Gun Owners Guide" it's easy to read and explains it all. There should be a new edition out very soon and you could keep it in the car if you want to have it somewhat handy :)

azcdlfred

Yes you can carry the gun in a car if you are 18, however you can't conceal it till you are 21, don't ask why it just is. and if you ask why I'll tell you that Google is your friend. hehe and AzCDLFred might pop in and he has all the laws real handy.
You rang? :lol:

The law regarding vehicle carry for 18-21 year olds is ARS 13-3102.B3(e) http://tinyurl.com/ARS133102 . It must be holstered or cased and in one of the 4 magic places mentioned in the statute. It doesn't matter if it is loaded or not - the law treats an unloaded gun as a weapon.

For the best FREE resource on the meaning, interpretation, and court spin on Arizona gun laws, download, print and read this document:
http://www.azdps.gov/Services/Concealed_Weapons/documents/instructors_ccw_legal.pdf

It's the document that DPS annointed instructors are required to use.

I also second Phoenix Dave - buy a copy of Alan Korwin's book (The Arizona Gun Owner's Guide). Alan should have a new edition out soon. His website is:
http://www.gunlaws.com/

Fred

Last edited:

xmanhockey7

So what exactly is plain view? If I have it in a holster in my car while I'm driving (non covered up just like if I was open carrying outside the vehicle) then what I'm doing is legal from what I can tell????

Phoenix David

I believe that could be a semi-gray area and as you probably do not want to be a test case and spend lots of money, me personal would make sure that it was clearly in plain view.

When I was driving (and I didn't have a CCW) my pistol fits nicely in the cup holder and that's where I put it. It's defiantly in plain view and it's pretty easily accessible. Also you could have it sitting on the seat next to you, but it could slide off to the floor and under something and then it might be concealed or something falls over it.

Your best be is to make sure that it is in plain view and not try to play Jedi mind tricks, sure it sucks but so does trying to prove that the police were wrong and you were right.

azcdlfred

So what exactly is plain view? If I have it in a holster in my car while I'm driving (non covered up just like if I was open carrying outside the vehicle) then what I'm doing is legal from what I can tell????
ARS 13-3102.B3(e) specifically addresses vehicle carry. There is also a 1994 appellate court decision on similar language that used to be in ARS 13-3102.G where the court said in essence that a gun in a vehicle was a concealed weapons except for the magic places mentioned in statute.

Even though the statute that the court decision was based on has been removed, similar language is in B3(e) and cops have been using the court decision to make arrests for 16 years. Don't expect their behavior to change anytime soon and do expect to get arrested and do expect the judge to be confused and use the old court decision.

I guess it gets down to how much money you can afford to be a test case.

Fred

xmanhockey7

Well keeping a loaded gun in a cup holder is much better than what I have to do here in Michigan. Even being in a vehicle with a pistol not in a hard case in the trunk is considered carrying it concealed.