• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

EPA considering petition for nationwide ban on lead-based sporting ammunition

c45man

Wasn't there a law passed by the U.S. Congress around 1976 that restricted the E.P.A from interfering with the commerce of guns and ammo? Oh well, back to the appelate courts.

Airilith

Shadow, thanks for posting all the links.

I heard about this proposed ban just this morning, and had been searching for all the info you've put in one place. It's greatly appreciated!

I just don't like the fact that most news places are spinning it as a sporting ammo ban. When really it's just a different way to ban the 2nd admendment. They won't take our guns so they take our ammo. How am I supposed to protect myself and my family? Should I throw my gun at them?

It really seems like the beginning of the end.

PS - If anyone comes across phone numbers those would be greatly appreciated as well.

PPS - I also read that the 'public comment period' runs from 8-25 until 10/31. How do we officially comment to the EPA?
I found it! http://www.nssfblog.com/epa-considering-ban-on-traditional-ammunition-take-action-now/ Like 3rd paragraph from top you'll see links. The first is to the actual EPA docket, and the second is to comment on that docket. :)

Last edited:

Ruger

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
Well, there's always Corbon's DPX cartridge...

...for self-defense. It utilizes the Barnex-X bullet & is all-copper. They boast 100% weight retention & very good penetration.... AND cost about $2 to $2.50 per cartridge - YIKES!

I will admit, I have 2 magazines of DPX in my mag pouch for my 1911 right now - 185gr +P :)

I shot a full mag through my Kimber a couple weeks ago (8+1)... I almost cried when I realized that I just shot $18 out my barrel in about 5 seconds... But at least now I know that they feed properly! :lol:

eye95

Wasn't there a law passed by the U.S. Congress around 1976 that restricted the E.P.A from interfering with the commerce of guns and ammo? Oh well, back to the appelate courts.

If anyone knows a citation for this law, please post it. Thanks.

Airilith

Summary of the Toxic Substances Control ActCore Principles for Chemical Management

15 U.S.C. §2601 et seq. (1976)
The Toxic Substances Control Act of 1976 provides EPA with authority to require reporting, record-keeping and testing requirements, and restrictions relating to chemical substances and/or mixtures. Certain substances are generally excluded from TSCA, including, among others, food, drugs, cosmetics and pesticides.

TSCA addresses the production, importation, use, and disposal of specific chemicals including polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs), asbestos, radon and lead-based paint.

Various sections of TSCA provide authority to:

Require, under Section 5, pre-manufacture notification for “new chemical substances” before manufacture
Require, under Section 4, testing of chemicals by manufacturers, importers, and processors where risks or exposures of concern are found
Issue Significant New Use Rules (SNURs), under Section 5, when it identifies a "significant new use" that could result in exposures to, or releases of, a substance of concern.
Maintain the TSCA Inventory, under Section 8, which contains more than 83,000 chemicals. As new chemicals are commercially manufactured or imported, they are placed on the list.
Require those importing or exporting chemicals, under Sections 12(b) and 13, to comply with certification reporting and/or other requirements.
Require, under Section 8, reporting and recordkeeping by persons who manufacture, import, process, and/or distribute chemical substances in commerce.
Require, under Section 8(e), that any person who manufactures (including imports), processes, or distributes in commerce a chemical substance or mixture and who obtains information which reasonably supports the conclusion that such substance or mixture presents a substantial risk of injury to health or the environment to immediately inform EPA, except where EPA has been adequately informed of such information.

EPA screens all TSCA b§8(e) submissions as well as voluntary "For Your Information" (FYI) submissions. The latter are not required by law, but are submitted by industry and public interest groups for a variety of reasons.
For the past decade EPA has focused efforts on protecting citizens from existing chemicals by making basic screening-level toxicity information on them publicly available. In 2008 EPA expanded those efforts with the Chemical Assessment and Management Program, or “ChAMP.”

This was found at: http://www.epa.gov/lawsregs/laws/tsca.html

And I think this is the full text: http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/usc.cgi?ACTION=BROWSE&TITLE=15USCC53

simmonsjoe

You've missed the point.

...for self-defense. It utilizes the Barnex-X bullet & is all-copper. They boast 100% weight retention & very good penetration.... AND cost about $2 to $2.50 per cartridge - YIKES!

I will admit, I have 2 magazines of DPX in my mag pouch for my 1911 right now - 185gr +P :)

I shot a full mag through my Kimber a couple weeks ago (8+1)... [highlight]I almost cried when I realized that I just shot $18 out my barrel in about 5 seconds[/highlight]... But at least now I know that they feed properly! :lol:
That is not the point.

[highlight]So shoot 50-100 rounds every week at IDPA and tell me, does that feel prohibitively expensive? It's called infringement.[/highlight]

Ruger

NO - I have NOT "Missed the point"

I was responding to Airilith's post. I was pointing out to him that there IS SD-ammo that is lead-free. He asked, and I quote:

They won't take our guns so they take our ammo. How am I supposed to protect myself and my family? Should I throw my gun at them?

So I put up my post about Corbon's DPX cartridge (a dang good cartridge, if you don't mind spending the extra $).

I agree with you in that the proposed ban is unnecessary infringement, and it is completely unacceptable. I take it that point was lost on you when, earlier in this thread, I gleefully quoted Mike Vanderboegh's recent remarks on the subject:

"Regarding the proposed ban on lead core ammunition, I think I speak on behalf of three percent of American gun owners when I say that should it be made into law, we will be happy to return it to the federal government one round at a time."

Last edited:

daddy4count

Shot down!

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/08/27/epa-rejects-calls-ban-lead-ammo-fishing-tackle/

EPA Rejects Calls to Ban Lead in Ammo, Fishing Tackle

"EPA is taking action on many fronts to address major sources of lead in our society, such as eliminating childhood exposures to lead," the agency said in a written statement. "However, EPA was not and is not considering taking action on whether the lead content in hunting ammunition poses an undue threat to wildlife."

Airilith

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/08/27/epa-rejects-calls-ban-lead-ammo-fishing-tackle/

EPA Rejects Calls to Ban Lead in Ammo, Fishing Tackle

"EPA is taking action on many fronts to address major sources of lead in our society, such as eliminating childhood exposures to lead," the agency said in a written statement. "However, EPA was not and is not considering taking action on whether the lead content in hunting ammunition poses an undue threat to wildlife."

Well the docket is still up on the site, and the comment ability is still active. Letting them know how the public feels can't hurt any. Because to be honest, I don't really believe them.

Last edited:

Ruger

Yeah, Airilith - that was you ;)

Shadow, thanks for posting all the links.

I heard about this proposed ban just this morning, and had been searching for all the info you've put in one place. It's greatly appreciated!

I just don't like the fact that most news places are spinning it as a sporting ammo ban. When really it's just a different way to ban the 2nd admendment. They won't take our guns so they take our ammo. How am I supposed to protect myself and my family? Should I throw my gun at them?

It really seems like the beginning of the end.

PS - If anyone comes across phone numbers those would be greatly appreciated as well.

PPS - I also read that the 'public comment period' runs from 8-25 until 10/31. How do we officially comment to the EPA?
I found it! http://www.nssfblog.com/epa-considering-ban-on-traditional-ammunition-take-action-now/ Like 3rd paragraph from top you'll see links. The first is to the actual EPA docket, and the second is to comment on that docket. :)

That was post #20 in this thread. Short memory, eh? LOL :lol:

Last edited:

Ruby

Well the docket is still up on the site, and the comment ability is still active. Letting them know how the public feels can't hurt any. Because to be honest, I don't really believe them.

Read the letter via the link in the latest post. They turned down the part of the petition dealing with ammunition because they do not have the authority to rule on it. We have Congress, back in 1976, I believe, who voted to exclude ammunition from that particular law to thank for that. Once in awhile, they do get something right. The EPA, according to the letter is going to rule on fishing weights separately.

Airilith

Read the letter via the link in the latest post. They turned down the part of the petition dealing with ammunition because they do not have the authority to rule on it. We have Congress, back in 1976, I believe, who voted to exclude ammunition from that particular law to thank for that. Once in awhile, they do get something right. The EPA, according to the letter is going to rule on fishing weights separately.

Lol! Yup, I posted that lastest post as soon as I found it. I'm glad they made the right call on this one!

Robin47

If bullets and fishing weights get banned, vehicle wheel weights have to go also.
I say we shut down all roads for a minimum of 30 days to ensure that any and all wheel weights are properly cleaned up.:banghead:

Yeah they have outlawed useing lead wheel weights in California already as of June or July of 2010.
So it will be coming to your state soon also !
What a Nightmare, no more bullet molding ?
Whats there legal "Alternitive" for Cap and Ball shooters, who mold there own ? !? !!!

"They will have to pry my wheel weights, out of my cold dead hands" ! Robin47 :)