• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ballistic PPE Gear for Civilians

Nevada carrier

I was browsing around Blackhawk's website and noticed that Ballistic vests, Helmets, plates and so on are not for sale to civilians. Now I'm not saying that I want to rock the full battle rattle every time I leave my home, but why are civilians forbidden to own this equipment? Is this a Blackhawk policy? Is there a law somewhere that says we're not allowed to have this protection available to us should there be a breakdown of law and order. I want to know that should law and order disintegrate I'll be able survive a round or two while I'm dishing it out as well.

Last edited:

DVC

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
Must be a company policy.

I will have to look into this -- if this is really a firm policy, I'm sending back my new Blackhawk holster and mag pouches. If I'm not good enough to buy armor from them, then I'm not good enough to buy any of the rest of their stuff.

1245A Defender

are you an anti kwik??

Are you a want to be a cop? You looking to confront cops? Are you a criminal? No one needs PPE except for cops and military.

a law abiding citizen has the same right to self defense, against getting shot!
as we do to carry guns to deter and protect against crime.

it dont make no sense to be saying that only cops get to wear protection.
the OP was clear in saying he would want it during a shtf sitiation.

Nevada carrier

Are you a want to be a cop? You looking to confront cops? Are you a criminal? No one needs PPE except for cops and military.

This my friend makes you sound very, very ignorant. Please re-read the original post and you will understand why I believe civilians should be allowed to own this equipment.

kwikrnu

Banned
Is there a law somewhere that says we're not allowed to have this protection available to us should there be a breakdown of law and order. I want to know that should law and order disintegrate I'll be able survive a round or two while I'm dishing it out as well.

You sound paranoid. You probably own more than one gun too. Do you stockpile ammo?

Nevada carrier

You sound paranoid. You probably own more than one gun too. Do you stockpile ammo?

What you call paranoid I call good planning, Yes I own more than one gun, they all have situationally appropriate uses,. Yes I have a ready supply of ammunition should the **** hit the fan, and no it's not all in the same place. There will come a time when I have a food and watter cache as well, but I have enough in my home to last me about 3 months if rationed correctly.

You say I'm paranoid, and I think of all the money we've borrowed from China and suddenly it seems a little more prudent. Perhaps war will not be the cause, perhaps a natural disaster. There are infinite reasons to prepare for the worst but it's the reasons that we can't think of that make it a good idea to do so. The only ones who has something to loose are those that think it couldn't happen, and don't.

That being said, please go crawl back under your bridge.

Dangerfish

Pretty sure there is a law because every single site I can find limits armor to active LE/MIL. I think it's a federal law.

T

TN-treefrmr

Kwik

It is people like you that make people want PPE.
It is not Paranoia if everyone is out to get you!
I saw you had posted on this thread and wanted to add my thoughts.
For those asking about PPE:
http://www.bulletproofme.com/
Excerpt:
For police, security, military, and law-abiding civilians, we are light on "eye candy" marketing glitz, but heavy on what you need to know about ballistic protection and 'bullet-proof' vests.
Just to set the record straight. I just Googled and found the site that I referenced.
I saw Kwik was entertaining you and joined in. I do want to say hello to people from Nevada where I retired from in 2006. So! Hi Y'ALL from Tennessee!

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
Although sarcasm is hard to detect on the internet I'm sure kwikrnu is being sarcastic.

Afterall he's the guy that has been known to open carry AK47, and from his other posts he must have a tremendously large collection of guns.

Body armor is legal to own in most places in the United States, although I believe Federal law restricts felons from ownership.

I hate it when companies restrict sale of stuff that is legal for civilians to the government. That's one thing I don't like about the TASER company... a lot of their products are not sold to civilians.

WilliamRB

Such a breastplate would be highly uncomfortable and dangerous.

It might protect you but it would promote ricochets.

You can get heavy jackets that can stop most handgun rounds. They are uncomfortable, but not nearly as heavy as a big peice of steel.

To answer your question though... depends on the round, and the type of metal the breastplate was made out of. I have seen as little as a 1/6th inch steel plate stop a 9mm, don't know what kind of steel it was though, and I don't know if I would trust it that thin myself.

Give me a few minutes and I can get a couple links to body armor.

WilliamRB

This has been proven to stop just about anything... I am not sure they will sell to civilians though, but it is the best out right now IMO.

http://www.pinnaclearmor.com/body-armor/dragon-skin/

Military IOTV and things like that come from these guys...

http://www.pointblankarmor.com/

You will probably want a "Level II" armor system, anything after that and they start getting uncomfortable. Most "Level III-A" armor is heavy, bulky, and not very flexible... I don't know of any 3-A+ armor besides the dragon skin that is flexible at all.

Best of all real body armor absorbs the impact force and doesn't deflect it so there is very little chance of a ricochet.

Last edited:

RussP

It is people like you that make people want PPE.
It is not Paranoia if everyone is out to get you!
I saw you had posted on this thread and wanted to add my thoughts.
For those asking about PPE:
http://www.bulletproofme.com/
Excerpt:
For police, security, military, and law-abiding civilians, we are light on "eye candy" marketing glitz, but heavy on what you need to know about ballistic protection and 'bullet-proof' vests.

Just to set the record straight. I just Googled and found the site that I referenced.
I saw Kwik was entertaining you and joined in. I do want to say hello to people from Nevada where I retired from in 2006. So! Hi Y'ALL from Tennessee!
Good reference, sir. Some law enforcement friends of mine told me about the site.

Protection is also worth considering for use on an unsupervised shooting range.

Dangerfish

You don't want Dangon Skin, there is a reason the Military banned it. The disks have a low melting point, so when exposed to fire(IED mainly) they will melt. There were many a soldier that had Drangon Skin burned into them.

Another reason is that the way it is constructed, the adhesive holding the disks weakens around 120 degrees. That means you get some disks floating around inside the vest, rendering it useless.

There are other shortfalls of it, but it is a very good idea, once perfected it will be the next generation of body armor. But for now nothing beats a multi hit level IV plate.