• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Maps

Shane28

Im new to this forum and wondering if we as a collective could post maps of our municiplity where open carry is not allowed like a google map with cirlces around 1000 ft for every school incase we choose to open carry in a city where we dont live? Take some of the guess work out of open carry

Mlutz

No... The guess work could get you out of a felony. The stat states that if you "unknowingly" enter a school zone, it is not a felony. This has been posted before. The search function works great. :) Also, welcome to the world of "oc". :D

Motofixxer

Yep, don't walk in front of or around a school. Then don't answer their questions. But it appears to be a growing consensus that you have to verbalize you are exercising your right to silence. I have heard that from LEO's also. I know of a few cases that people have been cited simply because of what they said\admitted. Before that, there was not enough or no evidence. And don't show them ID, they can't write a name down if they don't know it. I even have the AG's memo saved on my phone. So I can pull it out and read the whole memo if I want to. Gotta love technology!!!

paul@paul-fisher.com

Im new to this forum and wondering if we as a collective could post maps of our municiplity where open carry is not allowed like a google map with cirlces around 1000 ft for every school incase we choose to open carry in a city where we dont live? Take some of the guess work out of open carry

As others have said. Do NOT carry a map of GFSZ with you. The law says 'knowingly' so if you don't know, they must acquit!

You can look all you want but remember, if the cops search your computer and see hat you drew a 1000' diameter circle around a school you were just accused of being by, there goes your 'I didn't know' defense.

Personally, all I would do is have a decent idea where the schools are in the town I live in since the argument from the LEOs will be 'your honor, he lived here for 22 years so and he graduated from that school so he should of known'.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
[QUOTE=paul@paul-fisher.com;1331505]...LEOs will be 'your honor, he lived here for 22 years so and he graduated from that school so he should of known'.[/QUOTE]

My answer is YEP, I knew there was a school on XXX street, but because the 1000ft is NOT MARKED anywhere, I really thought I was outside the 1000ft.

When LEO can't even tell because there are too many houses or what have you in the way, I would still have the unknowing defense.

Shane28

Thanks

Thank you for your input. I went for my first open carry walk yesterday, It was such a beautiful day. I walked to DQ ordered sat and ate lunch. There where a couple of younger kids early teens i would guess that had some questions They asked if i was a competive shooter. I replied No than they asked me if it was real I said yes. Than they asked me if it was illeagal I said no. Than ate my meal without out further questions. Finished my meal walked about a quater mile to the local Co-op which is attached to an Ace hardware and had a wonderful conversation with the manager About why I carry. It did seem as though i was the first open carry person he incountered in the store. Got a couple of akward looks from folks driving by as i walked down the street with pistol holstered. But all in all it went well even though my wife refused to accompany me. I have one more question how do you handle the transtion from vechile to holster is this done within public eye? Or is it excepet able to do at your trunk the reason i ask is because i open carry with a revelover I might scare some folks if they see me loading in a busy parking lot lets say Mills Fleet farm?

Last edited:

paul@paul-fisher.com

As Doug's video shows, it's rather fun!!!

Anyhow, the key is, don't have the case open inside or on the vehicle. So, what I do is get the case out of the trunk, put it on the ground or on my knee, open the case, remove the firearm and magazine, load the magazine in the gun and holster it, close the case and put it back into the vehicle. Getting back in the car is reverse.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
It is more than just fun! As I said elsewhere on OCDO-WI, it is impossible to do entirely legally. Of the two statutes, Chapter 167 or Chapter 941, a violation of Ch. 167 is the least expensive, but it is still a violation. Don't forget our OCDO Rules kidz! They're not written on the back of cereal boxes, in legalese or Ebonics, but in plain language.

RULEZ said:
(15) WE ADVOCATE FOR THE 'LAW-ABIDING' ONLY: Posts advocating illegal acts of any kind are NOT welcome here. Even if you feel that a law is unconstitutional we do not break it, we repeal it or defeat it in the courts.
The law abides only the law abiding.

Motofixxer

Your doing nothing illegal, hopefully anyway. Don't necessarily have to hide or anything. But a revolver is more difficult. Get out of your car remove the case from your car. Set case on ground or have somebody hold it, load up, set empty case back in your car. Be on your merry way, then the reverse.

Jason in WI

I have one more question how do you handle the transtion from vechile to holster is this done within public eye? Or is it excepet able to do at your trunk the reason i ask is because i open carry with a revelover I might scare some folks if they see me loading in a busy parking lot lets say Mills Fleet farm?

Personally I try and park away from most people and then discreetly load and holster when I can. My reasoning behind it is I don't want to make people nervous, I'd rather them just notice the firearm on my side then me racking and topping off the mag in the parking lot. If it's real busy I use to skip chambering a round but lately I always chamber and switch to a full mag.

When I have loaded in front of people I just whipped it out did my thing and went about my business, no one seemed to care or be bothered. I think if your nervously looking around and acting unsure it might raise some suspicion.

Of course i usually go places with my girlfriend and I think just her being around seems to relax people then if I am alone.

P.S.
Welcome to the forum :banana:!

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
Wisc. Stats. Annotated said:
§ 941.23 Carrying concealed weapon. Any person except a peace officer who goes armed with a concealed and dangerous weapon is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor. Notwithstanding s.939.22(22), for purposes of this section, peace officer does not include a commission warden who is not a state−certified commission warden.
History: 1977 c. 173; 1979 c. 115, 221; 2007 a. 27.
[ ... ].
A defendant was properly convicted under this section for driving a vehicle with a gun locked in a glove compartment. State v. Fry, 131 Wis. 2d 153, 388 N.W.2d 565(1986).

To “go armed” does not require going anywhere. The elements for a violation of s. 941.23 are: 1) a dangerous weapon is on the defendant’s person or within reach; 2) the defendant is aware of the weapon’s presence; and 3) the weapon is hidden. State v. Keith, 175 Wis. 2d 75, 498 N.W.2d 865 (Ct. App. 1993).

A handgun on the seat of a car that was indiscernible from ordinary observation by a person outside, and within the immediate vicinity, of the vehicle was hidden from view for purposes of determining whether the gun was a concealed weapon under this section. State v. Walls, 190 Wis. 2d 65, 526 N.W.2d 765 (Ct. App. 1994).
[ ... ]
Wisc. Stats. Annotated said:
§ 167.31 Safe use and transportation of firearms and bows.
[ ... ]
(2) PROHIBITIONS; MOTORBOATS AND VEHICLES; HIGHWAYS AND ROADWAYS.
[ ... ]
(b) Except as provided in sub. (4), no person may place, possess or transport a firearm, bow or crossbow in or on a vehicle, unless the firearm is unloaded and encased or unless the bow or crossbow is unstrung or is enclosed in a carrying case.
[ ... ]

Wisconsin Carry Inc. - Chairman

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
Or is it excepet able to do at your trunk the reason i ask is because i open carry with a revelover I might scare some folks if they see me loading in a busy parking lot lets say Mills Fleet farm?

I keep the case on the passenger seat of my truck.

As I exit the truck, I grab the case and put it on the drivers seat as I get out and stand outside the truck with the door open and my back to the world. I open the case, take the gun out, load it, then, if its a busy parking lot, I turn to my left (I'm right handed) so the holster/gun is towards the inside of the vehicle obstructed from view and insert it in the holster.

When I carry on my motorcycle I open the tank-bag, open the case while it sits in the tank bag, take the gun in my hand, but keep it relatively close to the tank-bag, load it, and insert it in the holster.

Its my personal opinion that loading/unloading as discreetly as possible is the best, and I believe taking the case out, putting it on the ground to load and unload draws way more unwanted attention than discreetly loading/unloading using the seat of my truck or tank of my motorcycle to assist.

Not legal advice, just how I've done it 1000's of times including for various news outlets who shot and ran video of the process for their story.

If you ever load/unload your gun using the seat of your vehicle or the trunk of your vehicle to place your gun-case on as you discreetly load/unload and you are harassed by the police or arrested, please contact WCI.

Wisconsin Carry Inc. - Chairman

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
My procedure is just like Nik's

I'll add also...

I've been to numerous open-carry events, seen dozens of people load/unload at their vehicle and I've never observed anyone put the case on the ground and load/unload from there.

I have observed people who have soft-sided and leather gun cases... I don't think they'd want to put them on the ground if it was raining to load/unload. In the winter I don't think they'd want to put it down in the snow.

Again, not legal advice, not "advocating" for what you should do, just sharing my observations.

minuteman

I have a soft gun case with a zipper. I just get out and grab the case holding it in my off hand, unzip the case and holster my gun, toss the case back into the vehicle, then load the gun.

When getting in I unload the gun, reholster, get the guncase out, and then put the gun in its case. At no time do I need to set my case down on the ground or on the vehicle. Or be inside the vehicle with a loaded gun.

I would do the exact same thing with a rifle, take the cased gun out of the vehicle, uncase it, put the case back in the vehicle, load the rifle and be on my way.