• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

2 Years Now of "Extreme" OC

SteveInAshand

By extreme , I meanOC full time all the time, OC while at work, and off work, at play, while shopping, at church, on my bicycle, while fishing, on my motorcycle, basically "everywhere" except to get the US mail at the post office.

Tally of Neg vs Pos comments is about 95% Pos+ to 5% Neg-

I OC at work, I manage a large shopping center with 25 stores.

I am lucky because I actually need a weapon as I work many times at night.

I encounter day and night harmless transients, drunks, plus meth zombies, the mentally ill, squads of rowdy teens, parolees, wannabee tuff guys, real life tuff guys, pissed of husbands and boy friends, illegal aliens, racists from minority groups, wannabee gang members, and real gang members.

It's not that bad as I am from Los Angeles and SanDiego were there is hard core low life, but it is bad enough because I cannot allow low life to ruin the shopping experience of normal people and cannot allow anyone to break any laws or loiter ( I hate being a "mall cop" ) but it is one of the hats I wear and switch into moment by moment.

I am OC even when I do landscape maintenance, when I strip down to only shorts and shoes on a 100 degree day out in the parking lot and dig irrigation trenches there is a .45 on a Bianchi Ranger security locking quilk release holster, when I paint, when I pick up trash when I do any and everything at work I OC.

The Pos vs Neg is interesting because most of the neg feedback or non complimentary comments are not even directed to me

Example: The ladies who are the door greeters and membership checkers as BiMart tell me that when I am out front painting or pressure washing or doing any active work out in front of the store , they say they get a few comments from people coming into the store , Concerned citizen; "There is a man with a gun outside the door"
Store Employee; "whats he doing ? " Citizen; " He is painting" LOL , Employee; " That is Steve the manager of the mall", Citizen " Why doe she have a gun" and then they inform them in many different ways with differing comments such as " It is legal in Oregon " or " That is Steve he is the manager of the mall" or "He is a one of the goods guy's " .

So basically the negativity or "overly concerned" actions are behind my back.

You and even see people walk by and their eyes get big, the most neg looks come from two diametrically apposed gender and age groups, 1) old ladies and 2) young masculine tough looking younger men, both of these groups are more than likely to feel offended to threatened, why I can only guess.

That's my report for EX OC for Aug, lol

Window_Seat

Concerned citizen; "There is a man with a gun outside the door"
Store Employee; "whats he doing ? " Citizen; " He is painting" LOL , Employee; " That is Steve the manager of the mall", Citizen " Why doe she have a gun" and then they inform them in many different ways with differing comments such as " It is legal in Oregon " or " That is Steve he is the manager of the mall" or "He is a one of the goods guy's " .

It would surprise me if at least one of those "concerned shoppers" DID NOT at some point say "That's totally illegal, they can't do that". :lol:

Otherwise, maybe things are changing there in OR & parts of WA, and other areas, but certainly not here in CA other than Law Enforcement Department memos going out advising officers of UOC activities and what/not to do.

Erik.

langzaiguy

Steve, I'm curious. Out of those two years, how many LEO interactions did you have? What percentage of those were favorable?

We-the-People

Hey Steve,
Good to see a post from you. I'm 1+ year, almost ZERO "negative" responses (Rogue Valley mall security met em at the front door and said "can't come in").

Things have changed here, I'm flying solo these days. Still OC daily, just like you, except for at school.....and I push the issue there trying to park right in front of the windows, arm up on a break and walk down the sidewalk to BadAss coffee to fill my cup, etc. Security keeps saying "you can't" but they know they're wrong and haven't done anything about it.

Only two times that LEO's have "checked me out". Both times without actually contacting me. Once in Salem at the Capital building for a political rally. OSP pulled up on a motorbike, parked about 75 feet away, observed for about 10 minutes, and left. Second time was the tax day rally at Alba park....probably a dozen cops there and quite a few walked by real close and did the "eyeball" thing but none stopped. Good thing too as I was "sterile" just for such an encounter that day and there were several folks from various sites video taping and ready to swing their cameras.

The most common question: ARE YOU A COP
Second most common: IS THAT LEGAL

Bruce