• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Few questions about a town or two...

April.Fools

First off, just joined up the forum so whats up. Im 20 and i have already made it through two spinal surgeries. I cant move very fast and have almost zero stamina. I have chosen open and concealed carry because I am not going to let me and the wife become a statistic over my shortcomings. I travel some between here and Prescott, AZ because the brother in-law is playing junior college soccer down there. Thats for the history, now for the questions.

Ive looked all over this forum and have found a lot of OCer's more so in the northern and southern part parts of oregon. I was wondering about the McMinnville, Newberg area.

I have never OCed in either of these towns and I wish to be used to my firearm at my side when the chl comes around. Any info is great and thanks for what ever you guys can help me with.

Puddin99

Campaign Veteran
Welcome aboard. I wouldn't be so hung up on having open carriers specifically in those two towns, as much as being up on the laws and ordinances of where you are carrying.

Being over 18, one can legally open carry now, but be very careful as you don't have your permit yet.

I looked at the two sites ordinances and didn't recall seeing anything about regulating loaded/unloaded firearms, but once you have your permit, that will be less of an issue. Read through the site with others experiences and let us know if you have any specific questions.

Open carrying for the first time can be a scary ordeal. There is always lots of questions from others. Be prepared on how you will answer them. Be prepared to encounter the police. If you choose to carry a voice recorder, know the laws regarding them.

I'm sure if there is someone in the area that they will chime in.

Be sure to bring your bi-mart card for identification purposes when you go get your permit. :)
http://www.co.yamhill.or.us/sheriff/documents/handgun safety instructors 2007.pdf

There was just a post about having a Vancouver open carry get together. In WA you don't need a permit to open carry, just one to have a loaded firearm in the car with you. Come join the fun.

It looks like Arizona currently honors Oregon permits. this will be in your favor. Be sure to check up on thier laws.

Also might want to think about getting a WA permit, or better yet, a Utah permit while your at it.

IANAL

April.Fools

Hey thanks. I know the post seemed kinda blunt but i didnt have much time on lunch break. i have put off attempting the open carry just for that reason I dont feel prepared mentally for the interaction of police officers. I have done a lot of reading from these posts and feel educated enough for it but still not ready. The truck is currently down for its getting a single 6 inch stack:lol: I seems that Arizona is much more firearm friendly that up here in Oregon. Its good to know that with things as they're going I will be ale to enjoy a life of firearms as well my future kids. Thanks for the reply and your right, I shouldn't worry about one specific town.

Christopher

Welcome aboard. I wouldn't be so hung up on having open carriers specifically in those two towns, as much as being up on the laws and ordinances of where you are carrying.

Being over 18, one can legally open carry now, but be very careful as you don't have your permit yet.

I looked at the two sites ordinances and didn't recall seeing anything about regulating loaded/unloaded firearms, but once you have your permit, that will be less of an issue. Read through the site with others experiences and let us know if you have any specific questions.

Open carrying for the first time can be a scary ordeal. There is always lots of questions from others. Be prepared on how you will answer them. Be prepared to encounter the police. If you choose to carry a voice recorder, know the laws regarding them.

I'm sure if there is someone in the area that they will chime in.

Be sure to bring your bi-mart card for identification purposes when you go get your permit. :)
http://www.co.yamhill.or.us/sheriff/documents/handgun safety instructors 2007.pdf

There was just a post about having a Vancouver open carry get together. In WA you don't need a permit to open carry, just one to have a loaded firearm in the car with you. Come join the fun.

It looks like Arizona currently honors Oregon permits. this will be in your favor. Be sure to check up on thier laws.

Also might want to think about getting a WA permit, or better yet, a Utah permit while your at it.

IANAL

Yes i live in McMinnville, and you can open carry here. I have already checked with the McMinnville police department, just remember no public buildings until you have a CHL. If you check the code for a city on open carry and there is no code for it then its legal as far as i know.

Cletus

Yes i live in McMinnville, and you can open carry here. I have already checked with the McMinnville police department, just remember no public buildings until you have a CHL. If you check the code for a city on open carry and there is no code for it then its legal as far as i know.

The one I have been dying to hear clarified is what exactly defines public buildings? Lowes, Roth's, BiMart? or government owned buildings? I do not have a CHL and am unable to obtain one. So carrying must be open and in many cases, it limits me. Better to know than to pay bail.