• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Chrysler's Gun-Toting Pickup Truck - Marketing to gun owners...

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
Nice..

gunrack_397x224.jpg

Chrysler's Ram truck division is taking direct aim at hunters with a unique feature on its new line of Outdoorsman pickup trucks - a gun closet.

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2010/08/13/chryslers-gun-toting-pickup-truck/

DragonLW

A poorly designed gun closet...

Lets say that the person driving this truck gets T-boned, right into the gun closet. Lets say that the person driving is also stupid and ignorant of the law, and he's transporting his guns loaded.

Those guns are pointing *FORWARD*...right at the back of the person driving the truck.

Yeah, yeah, yeah...I know...if he was transporting loaded guns, then its his own fault if there's an accidental discharge. But we all know that as companies build bigger and better idiot-proof products, the universe creates bigger and better idiots.

The gun closet should at least be made to force the loading and storage of guns so that the muzzle faces rearward and down, so that an accidental discharge (regardless of what triggers the discharge) is directed downward and away from the driver.

tcmech

Lets say that the person driving this truck gets T-boned, right into the gun closet. Lets say that the person driving is also stupid and ignorant of the law, and he's transporting his guns loaded.

Those guns are pointing *FORWARD*...right at the back of the person driving the truck.

Yeah, yeah, yeah...I know...if he was transporting loaded guns, then its his own fault if there's an accidental discharge. But we all know that as companies build bigger and better idiot-proof products, the universe creates bigger and better idiots.

The gun closet should at least be made to force the loading and storage of guns so that the muzzle faces rearward and down, so that an accidental discharge (regardless of what triggers the discharge) is directed downward and away from the driver.

Yeah, towards the guy that rear ended him

DragonLW

Well...it would be poetic justice if the idiot who was yapping on his cell while trying to watch his GPS rear-ended the driver of the truck, but thats why I pointed out that the muzzles should be pointing rearward and *down*. As in, the muzzle should have a padded tube or some such in the bottom rear corner where you could slip the muzzle into, and a bracket against the front wall of the box to accept the butt of the stock, where that support would be at the top of the box.

A layout like that would keep the barrel at about a 15 degree angle facing downward. Any accidental discharge would be at the pavement, with a point of impact about 8 to 10 feet behind the truck.

Forward facing like that would work too, but an AD would result in shooting a hole in your own front tire.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
Uhm, what about gun racks?

This seems like re-inventing a square wheel for use as a mouse-trap by neanderthals. Probably a good product move, considering that defines most American Truck Buyers and the kind of thing they would want.

The 4BT is still not available in a 1500 series truck, because? Anyone have an answer? Because it makes sense, that's why not. How about a 5cyl 2.8L turbodiesel? Again, it makes sense, so must be avoided.

Next, they'll put a big-screen TV where the windshield should be. Or seats made of sandpaper and nails, to prove you're a man or whatever... Or just a big Bunsen Burner in the bed to burn 'extra' fuel for no apparent reason.

Don't try to find reason in an American Made Truck. You won't find it. Importers stayed out of the market for a long time simply because they could not understand it.

Spark plugs are for pussies.

Ninelivez

Stupid? sure. Ignorant of the law? not illegal to transport a loaded weapon in any location (trunk, passenger cabin, hanging from the rear view, with or without a permit) in Montana.

DVC

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
Okay, to Chrysler wants me to give up several cubic feet of the bed of the truck, just so that I can put my rifles out of reach in a non-controlled environment, with a single latch surrounded by the perfect place to use a crowbar to open it, which every thief now expects to have rifles in it.

Oh, yeah, I'll do that EVERY day . . !

NRAMARINE

Ford offers a lockable double long gun case under the rear seat on F-250's. It's got 2 locks and most important, it's under the rear seat, as in inside the cab, no loss of bed space, inconspicuous and weatherproof. Or if you can build your own, if you use a weatherproof diamondplate tool box, mount in a gun rack, simple.